Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wooohooooo its starting another c55 conversion : D

Originally posted by knvs
    Well I just had my MAF replaced on mine in march so I think we'll just use that one. I will need to replace the exhaust manifold and engine mounts according to him. New manifold is $400 and a used one is $100. Also he said new motor mounts are $150 each (ouch) but from reading your post it's better to have them done now then later. I thought I'll need my ECU to be remapped for the E55 engine. Whats AFR? I'm heading home tonight, and hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow!
    AFR means Air Fuel Ratio.You tell them to record it when your getting your car dynoed.Just get the car dynoed first b4 you consider getting it remapped.The dyno sheet will show the AFR if you tell them to include it.Scan it and I can let you know if your ECU needs remapping.Steve's car ran like a monster with the C43 ECU programming.His car was literally running right next to mine.We(Jeffrey and myself) are suspecting that the files(98-2k C43 and E55) AMG's are the same other than the ABS/ESP programming.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

C55 Charter Member
    I will need to replace the exhaust manifold and engine mounts according to him. New manifold is $400 and a used one is $100. Also he said new motor mounts are $150 each (ouch) but from reading your post it's better to have them done now then later.
    ....just use the manifolds off your 4.3L motor ... no? Ya gotta figure you don't need to sell the engine with the manifolds, as it's very probable you'll be selling the motor to another V8 equipped MB, so they'll have the manifolds their engine compartment's configuration needs already.

BTW, read my "if your car does this, change the motor mounts" thread on this board. My car feels like it's show-room fresh with the new motor mounts. I had thought my suspension was shot, and was only proceeding with this swap because I knew I'd be re-vamping the suspension with the speedybenz kit. But it turns out, it wasn't that (still happly installing the speedybenz kit though)

Also, there were a few other things I got new; a lot of the ancillary components on the engine I got were shot so Jeff stripped down my 4.3L motor and put them on the 5.4L motor. However as my 4.3L motor had a little over 63K miles, he recommended some of the things be new. In additon to the mounts, they were belt tentioner, crank position sensor (tho that may have been because of the fire), and I believe the master pully (hamonic balancer). I believe your engine was out of a car with a rear hit, but if not and was from a front hit, I'd change every pully and also use your oil filter housing from the old motor. What I was surprised about was Jeff didn't recommend I change the water-pump. I guess they can go a =lot= longer.

the reason why Norm recomended me to change the exhaust manifold was because its showing signs of wear. he said their is a slight crack or split on the manifold and that since the engine is out i should replace it. Also I was gonna replace the motor mounts as well so I was expecting that. I know that I'm reusing the old ari box and cover and old MAF. I'm not sure about spark plugs. I know the motor I'm swapping has 36k miles on it, but It's been sitting for a while. They are relubing everything and making sure everything works like new. I guess thats my biggest concer, is that I should have the engine reconditiond before going into the car so It will last much longer. But norm has said everything is ok.

Now should I have the ECU remap to the E55 ECU or should I keep the old C43 software. I know that Steve had his remapped, but had some preformance loss? Was that with stock ECU or aftermarket chip?

C55 Charter Member
    I guess thats my biggest concer, is that I should have the engine reconditiond before going into the car so It will last much longer. But norm has said everything is ok.

Now should I have the ECU remap to the E55 ECU or should I keep the old C43 software. I know that Steve had his remapped, but had some preformance loss? Was that with stock ECU or aftermarket chip?
    (I'm Steve... you're the person who I exchanged the e-mails with, right? )

how many years has the engine been sitting? If there's the slighest chance water got in it, take off the heads then who knows. I don't think that is the case with your engine so ya, should be ok even if sitting for a while.

I definitely got a little out of the ECU remapping (I forget, 9 or 12 hp) ... $700's worth ... that's arguable. But I also run on RON93, so my ECU chooses the maps on the higher-end of the performance spectrum at all times.

The story ended well. The performance loss right after the swap and flashing of the ECU was in part co-incidental; in part I was impatient and didn't know I needed to wait for the ECU to again "remap" after the "reflashing". After about a week it was rip'n.

The co-incidental thing I mention is the loss of performance the 1st day I drove it after the swap and flashing of the ECU was due to problem(s) with the Tranni. Believe it or not less then a quart low and a) over the course of a few weeks, once before the swap and one week after, it just jumped out of gear into neutral however my shifter lever was =not= in neutral; and b) that 1st day, I had a hard exit from a gas station driveway and it stuck in 2nd and wouldn't shift; the rest of the day it was "dogish", probably protecting itself looking back ... unfortunately I didn't equate that tranni event with the dogishness @ the time, and I wrote the negative review right after that (and again, the ECU seemed to need a week's time to settle into its proper operation). The guy who did the swap brought the oil up to the right level and it's been fine.

yeah we've emailed back and forth a few time. I must say you and Carl have been great help in making sure I'm doing the swap in the right way. I just got back from the shop and saw the work in progress (unfortunately i forgot the camera again so I don't have picks for the engine out ) Norm said that remapping the ECU or re flashing it or what ever you want to call it is not necessary. I'll just be using my stock ECU and C43 software program and engine management. If I decide later to remap it he'll do it for me. Also CA runs only on 91 octane so we got shit gas out here . I also checked the manifold and there was a crack on the inside. Ionno how to explane it but it looked like a weld cracked and was restricting propper air flow so we just used one of his old exhaust manifolds. Engine is ready to be put in and they should be doing it later this afer noon. Man after looking at the engine bay and the engine itself, it is truely plug and play!!! Looks like they have to drop it in connect a few sensors and start it up!

Norm said that remapping the ECU or re flashing it or what ever you want to call it is not necessary. I'll just be using my stock ECU and C43 software program and engine management. If I decide later to remap it he'll do it for me. Also CA runs only on 91 octane so we got shit gas out here
    Get the car dynoed and you'll truly find out.When I spoke to Norm about his converted C43/55 he told me his car was running very lean.You don't want that to be the case.I know my car was running lean because of a faulty MAF. However Steve's car ran like a monster with the stck C43 ecu.

Norman may be right but get the car dynoed.Trust me!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

well......I got my car back!!!! and boy what a difference. Just much more responisve and just keeps pulling and pulling. I find myself catching up to the car infront and running out of room before I can truely find out how much of a beast it is. I can also say that I'm spinning my tires much more. I bet by the end of summer, they'll be totally gone. I changed the mounts as well and boy they did make a differece. Car feels much more solid and less twitchy. Now there are 3, yes 3, w202 c55 conversions in the Bay Area, beat that east coast (jp all in good fun) I'll write a full report when I have more behind the wheel time. BTW I'll be heading to the sac meet so if you wanna check it out, come to the meet!!

Congratulations!

well......I got my car back!!!! and boy what a difference. Just much more responisve and just keeps pulling and pulling. I find myself catching up to the car infront and running out of room before I can truely find out how much of a beast it is. I can also say that I'm spinning my tires much more. I bet by the end of summer, they'll be totally gone. I changed the mounts as well and boy they did make a differece. Car feels much more solid and less twitchy. Now there are 3, yes 3, w202 c55 conversions in the Bay Area, beat that east coast (jp all in good fun) I'll write a full report when I have more behind the wheel time. BTW I'll be heading to the sac meet so if you wanna check it out, come to the meet!!

:classic: Excellect to hear. Congrats!

btw, who's is the 3rd ? ... I didn't know about that one. There is a 3rd on the east coast ... and it's Kleemann supercharged ta'boot!

(oops ... there I go again getting signed in with my old ident... c55m8o send his highest regards too... )

Originally posted by 98c43amg

There is a 3rd on the east coast ... and it's Kleemann supercharged ta'boot!
    Like steve said

Oh and Congrats. You must be#6!!!!

Originally posted by 98c43amg

btw, who's is the 3rd ? ... I didn't know about that one. There is a 3rd on the east coast ... and it's Kleemann supercharged ta'boot!
    There's Norm, Norm's friend and me who have the conversion done. We all live in the Bay Area too. I've heard about that s/c one. That would be the ultimate car.... Some day

here are some pics norm took while they were swapping the engines. I'll have a photoshot when the car is cleaned one of these days. photos

Awww man I'm so jealous. One day... mine is gonna have the swap too ...

C55 Charter Member
    here are some pics norm took while they were swapping the engines. I'll have a photoshot when the car is cleaned one of these days.
    They took the tranni out... with the engine? Hmm...

....So no Dyno yet?!

Originally posted by c55m8o
    They took the tranni out... with the engine? Hmm...

....So no Dyno yet?!
    LOL! Some people find it easier that way!

yeah no dyno just yet. I had a romp with it today and it scared me a bit lol. I actually said "o shit" a few time about the pulling power. Kinda scary at times, but thats a good thing.

Wow! It's gonna be interesting to see how many more of these swaps occur!let's start the new wave fellas just as the guys with the BMW E36 318,325 to M3 swaps!

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    Wow! It's gonna be interesting to see how many more of these swaps occur!let's start the new wave fellas just as the guys with the BMW E36 318,325 to M3 swaps!
    yeah but swapping an e36 318,325 to m3 isn;t the same. it more like swapping a e36 m3 to a m5.

yeah but swapping an e36 318,325 to m3 isn;t the same. it more like swapping a e36 m3 to a m5.
    if you've done it you'll see what I mean!LOL! I own one! M332i(325i-M3)

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    if you've done it you'll see what I mean!LOL! I own one! M332i(325i-M3)
    I take it u mean its a strait swap for the 318, 325 to m3? not as hard as it looks? I was more along the line that the M3 is more of a direct competitor to the C43 and we're taking the E55 engine and swapping them, so they (e36 m3 owners) should start swapping m5 engines to keep up lol

C55 Charter Member
    yeah no dyno just yet. I had a romp with it today and it scared me a bit lol. I actually said "o shit" a few time about the pulling power. Kinda scary at times, but thats a good thing.
    ain't it grand?!:banana: Don't you frequently find yourself hitting turns on roads you're intimately acquainted with 5-15mph faster then you used to, finding you have to rely on the brakes far more then you used to going into them? (I for one hardly ever hit the brakes going into turns, as regular roads as well as trying to be a good citizen don't allow for hitting speeds before turns that exceeds what the C43 is capable of taking ... before the swap that is )

c43 engines

I have a 1999 clk430. A C43 engine would be an upgrade if it would fit. Is anyone looking for a home for their extracted C43 engine?

Re: c43 engines

Originally posted by reitmeid
    I have a 1999 clk430. A C43 engine would be an upgrade if it would fit. Is anyone looking for a home for their extracted C43 engine?
    I have a complete C43 motor available.To be honest with you unless your motor is blown I would not swap it out for the minimal hp and TQ difference.I'd go 5.5L worth the effort and time.

My engine is not blown. I guess I have to agree with you....27 hp gain would not justify the cost and trouble. I think what makes the C43 seem faster especially off the line is the different gearing. But I've heard swapping differentials involes reprogramming computers etc. I've priced some used clk55 engines at around 7grand. Something to look into .

wasnt there a white conversion for sale on ebay a while ago? anyone from here?