Thread: What does the W and the S switch stand for

What does the W and the S switch stand for

Hey there i am a complete Newbe i just bought a c230 K ad have a switch near the shift that says W and S . I am assuming its to turn on the Charger but but what do they stand for ? W.... S.....

Thanks

Winter and Summer, driving conditions.

WOW was i wrong

on slippery winter days, when switched to W, the tranny starts off in 2nd gear, i believe so that the car won't spin out...or at least thats what I was told

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by kami230
    Winter and Summer, driving conditions.
    I had thought "Winter" and "Sport".

However, for all you C43/55 owners out there, or other forced induction W202s owners, I bet you think "W" stands for "Wet" too...

In older Benzes W/S is winter summer, in newer ones it's turned into C/S (comfort/sport). And as Kami was starting to suggest, W or C starts the car in 2nd gear for both added traction in slippery conditions. And, because starting in second gear is a "gentler" way to get off the line, they switched things to "comfort".
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

When would you use summer? What does that control do? All I feel is a bit more rpm at the boot.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by neema12
    When would you use summer? What does that control do? All I feel is a bit more rpm at the boot.

Kami already answer your question.

W : 2nd gear start to eliminate more slipping, with 2nd gear start you wouldn't be able to accelerate as fast from a stand still.

S: 1st gear start (normal start)

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

i like the concept of having E and S ( economy/sport ) in the older W202's hehe.. quite fun

sorry, was totally off topic
    1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust

W/S.....keep it in W and forget about it. Then on occasion when you remember, flip it to S.....what a rush! It's like you modded your car for more power

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by kameraguy
    W/S.....keep it in W and forget about it. Then on occasion when you remember, flip it to S.....what a rush! It's like you modded your car for more power
    LOL
    VTEC Power!!!

S: 1st gear start (normal start)
    Why would they make a Summer mode if its not a change from normal shifting?

"WOW was i wrong"
    haha that crakes me up, i hate it when ya make massively far fetched guesses :-)
    I dont have a W & S :-( but it doesnt snow here so im alrite
    -Logan-

In my 1998 C280 Sport:

W: 2nd gear start, shifting at 4500 rpm, and a different reverse gear for slippery starts

(owners manual calls this "winter/wet")

S: 1st gear start, shifting at redline, and normal reverse gear

(owners manual calls this "standard")
    1998 C280 Sport - 91k (original tranny, can\'t wait) - \"Baby Benz\"
    2002 E320 - 30k - \"Big Momma\"
    1991 300E - 120k (what a solid car) - \"Land Yacht\" - SOLD

I wouldn't get too hung up on a difinitive word for S, as MB's notorious for making the same letter mean different things depending on the time

S = Super, Sport, Summer, and Standard

M = Meisterschaft, Masters, and nothing at all

E = Einspritz (can't bother myself to look up the right spelling), or something else...

and so on.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

this is directly from MB ownders online MBUSA owners line under the vehicle FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions: What do the "W" and "S" mean on gear shift?

The transmission is provided with a selector switch for Standard "S" and Winter/Wet (snow and ice) "W" program modes.

Standard Mode

Press switch on symbol "S". Use this mode for all regular driving. The vehicle will start out in 1st gear.

Fast On = Depressing the accelerator pedal quickly (not into kickdown position) while driving continuously, rather than depressing the accelerator pedal in the usual manner, will cause the automatic transmission to shift down into a lower gear. This gear shifting process is dependent on the current vehicle speed.

Fast Off = There will be no upshift when releasing the accelerator pedal quickly, e.g. using the engine's braking power during performance driving.

Winter/Wet (snow and ice) Mode

Press switch on symbol "W". The vehicle starts out in 2nd gear, except with selector lever in 1st gear, or with accelerator pedal in kick down position.

The "W" mode helps to improve traction and driving stability of the vehicle. The gear shifting process occurs at lower vehicle and engine speeds than in the "S" program mode.

Caution! Never change the program mode when the selector lever is out of position "P". It could result in a change of driving characteristics for which you may not be prepared.

Important! Always be certain of the program mode selected since the vehicle driving characteristics change with the selection of the program mode. Dependent on the program mode selector switch position "S" or "W" and the gear selector lever in position "R", the ratio of power transmission changes.
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

I have a 95 c220, I think my shifter has a 3 and 4 at the bottem gears, I know the lowest is considered Winter, but is the 3 summer mode?

Originally posted by Eiknujrac
    In my 1998 C280 Sport:

W: 2nd gear start, shifting at 4500 rpm, and a different reverse gear for slippery starts
    Is this what the manual says? I thought it was a matter a change in throttle sensativity rather than a different gear...? I was under the impression the throttle was less sensative when in "W" in forward gears as well. Anyone wanna back me up on this?
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

Yea my manual says W engages a different reverse gear. I don't have it with me right now as my car is in the shop, but as soon as it gets back ill put the exact wording.

Something cool I have heard but have yet to try as my car is in the shop:

"Putting the transmission in the W mode activates a "hill holder" mode.

This will keep the car from rolling back on steep hills when the brakes are released. Put the switch back in S to watch the car roll back!"

Sounds cool.

The difference is between winter and Sport mode or and European versions have which is sport and economy.

Winter or Economy

Start off in 2nd gear from stop
    does not hold the gears (upshifts quickly)
    does not down shift the tranny when slowing down
    The reverse gear is switched to a higher ratio (to minimize wheel spin)

Summer or Sport

Always starts car in 1st from stop (hold the 1st if you are driving aggressively)

hold the lowers gear longer depending on throttle position and vehicle speed..

down shifts the tranny when deceleration or slowing down

So to summarize Winter/economy is less aggressive and would operate the tranny like an ordinary automatic.

Sport/Summer is more agressive and more responsive depending on driving condition.

Additionally if you car needs the MAF sensor replaced the Summer/Sport program with not work in the forward gears but it will retain the the reverse mode.

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by alboogiee
    this is directly from MB ownders online MBUSA owners line under the vehicle FAQ's
    [snip]
    Fast Off = There will be no upshift when releasing the accelerator pedal quickly, e.g. using the engine's braking power during performance driving.
    [snip]
    Thanx for this post. I feel like a heel. I've owned my car since early 1999, and I never connected the downshifting to the spped of taking the foot off the pedal. Changed my driving style and sure enough, lower gear is held longer. THANX!