View Poll Results: Where do you call home?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • East Coast US

10 23.26%
  • West Coast US

11 25.58%
  • Mid-West US

2 4.65%
  • East Coast, CAN

2 4.65%
  • SW US (including TX)

0 0%
  • East Asia

0 0%
  • South East Asia

2 4.65%
  • Western Europe, including UK

1 2.33%
  • Eastern Europe

4 9.30%
  • Bay Area, CA

9 20.93%
  • West Coast, CAN

0 0%
  • Non-Coast CAN

2 4.65%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Checkin only for owner who has the tranny busted

shop called... gonna cost me $15k to have everything they found wrong with my car fixed.... Worst part is, my warranty expired in May, and the car felt fine before this problem.

So its:
    $6k for tranny
    $2k for oilpan and timing cover oil leak
    $1.4 reseal my diff (which was leaking)
    $2k for flex disc
    and some other things which I for got now.....

stupid repairs is costing me as much as the car. I shoulda just bought one back in 1998 brand new. Thats how much I'll end up spending to repair it.

BTW I'm not having the dealership do it. I have an E55 tranny lined up and gonna cost much less.

Well that FN blows

I think I would drive it off a cliff at that point and go buy a Suby...

Oh, yours is the C55... Maybe not...

Mine is probably only worth $15 at this point so I am just gonna drive it till it drops... Which I am sure won't be anywhere near the 18 years my Legend is at now... (and 160K)

>$2k for oilpan and timing cover oil leak

Oh shi... Mine is leaking about a quarter sized spot every day...
    Obsidian Black 1999 C43

Geez us!!!

I'm feeling like I got off light...to replace my tranny with a reman with a 30 month warranty is costing $3900 total. This is my indie mechanic - the MBZ dealer was about a grand more. He says that the '98 trans used bushings which were changed to bearings in '99 - ever heard that one?

Anyhow, I had the extended warranty too - talk about a bunch of jerks! It only cost me $1100 to cover 48 mo./48k miles - and it is covering 10 days of rental car @ $30 a day. They tried every trick in the book to get out of paying - even checked my TIRE SIZES to make sure I didn't ruin the tranny with oversize tires. Now that's a stretch!!!

Sorry about the BIG repair bill - I couldn't have paid that if it happened to me...guess I would have had to buy a Kia or something...

C55 Charter Member
    OH, SHEEYAAT. I know I'm only supposed to reply if the tranni is busted and tell my story ... well mine was (above), so maybe I'll get some slack ... but I gotta say, those prices! That's frigg'n ridiculous!

It cost me about $2K to swap the motor! I paid a bit more because I had the heads redone, bottom end opend up, and cooling system flushed to get out the foam from putting out the fire too. Valve covers and oilpan seals and all.

Uze Gize gotta find a good MB mechanic that likes to do side work like the guy Carl hooked me up with.

yeah unfortunately I don't know any good mb techs.... and I just moved up to sac so I'm even more screwed if my car breaks again. I'm having Norm replace my tranny with a 1999 E55 tranny. Tranny only has 10k on it and he's only chargine $2500 installed. The thing I'm worried about it that I may need a tranny controller or module thing and torque converter and he's not sure if they have it. So I'm hoping that I won't have to fork out more. They are also taking care of the oil leak because thats from their engine, and they'll do the coolant leak too. While I like Norm, he's not really a repair shop and can't really rely on him for repairs.

So hopefully this little problem of mine is only gonna cost $2500, which I can live with. Next thing to do will be the flex discs and diff reseal and should be all good.

I think my tranny is gone, I went out today and reverse did not want to engage!!!!!!!!!!

gearbox

c220 diesel

the gearbox has gone on me now as it only goes into 1st 2nd and 4th and kicks out of second if not held in and out of third even if u try to hold it in and the 5th gear i have not tried recently, this has happened is still driveable locally but now has just started to decline the input of gears into any gear, so its sitting there ready for a gearbox change, planned to be done in 2 weeks after new year at a cost of £500 + VAT

besides that everything in this car is almost mashed as i think i have tried to rally drive this car liike an evo, maybe wat it wasnt made for oh well

there u go

H3MAN

Originally posted by knvs

$2k for flex disc
    That's pure insanity. I understand the 2 of us have totally different 202's but a flex-disc job should be damn near exactly the same job on mine as it is on your's. I had my driveshaft center-support bearing go out on me at about 90mph once. Was stranded and the only place that it could be towed to was the dealership. They replaced that bearing and both flex discs (just to be safe) for $800.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Just thought I would add that my Transmission Control Unit is being replaced on my 99 280 Sport as we speak. It was shifting really hard along with the occasional "scare the shit out of me" kickdown into 1st.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

you wouldnt believe what the mechanics replaced it and the clutch and after a week it mashed up again so they had to replace again under warranty, ive kind of had enough of these cars man......i wonder what the S-CLASS is like lol

dont buy an old c man it just digs into your pocket they look nice and drive nice but when you try to race them around like the new age cars they just dont keep up-thats like for like e.g. 2.2 to 2.2 engine

H3MAN

symptom: slipping transmission when cold, rough shifts when warm, rough idle, engine revs would have a "surging" pattern between 500 to 1000 back to 500rpm when slowly idling forward at about 1mph
    UPDATE: Car is at the dealer with the same symptoms as listed in the above quote except for the surging issue at idle. However, I was in the parking lot today and I firmly pushed the brake pedal to slow the car from around 5-7 mph to let one of my coworkers by and the car would not move when I let off the brake. I pushed the gas and it went haywire like it couldn't decided what gear to downshift too. It jerked down a gear (I think, I was tooscared to really look at the tach) and then down into 1st. Stupid thing shot up to about 3200 RPM's and I had to brake the car hard to get it to stop. Drove it directly to the dealer and dropped it off.

MILEAGE: First sign around 68K (tranny control unit replaced) Currently at 70300K
    DRIVEABLE: yes
    COST: Whatever they find wrong with it will be covered by warranty

UPDATE: New valve in tranny and it was covered under warranty, we'll see how long this lasts...

UPDATE2: Have to take it back in tomorrow to have it looked at again for the same issue.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

just took my car to the mechanic

1700 for a rebuilt tranny.......DAMNIT!

problem....it can't shift out of 1st gear....

solution: bought 2005 c230 sport.

96 c280

tranny slipped when I bought it at 80K lost 3rd gear very soon after.

rebuilt it, failed again within 6 months.

rebuilt it, lost 3nd gear within a week, drove it for over a year until I lost 4th. (top speed attainable 65mph car is named netural glide while I source 5speed swap)

First and only known 717.430 5speed swap.

19 months later stock clutch failed due to rear main leak. Put in custom 4puck setup.

6mo later while doing a 3.2 conversion, 4puck was toast, new rear main leaking too!!! WTF

now shes a 3.2 w/717.430 and back to stock organic clutch, but guess what new motor/NEW REAR MAIN is leaking too... must need flywheel balanced. thats where I am today.

get a lighter flywheel made racerx.
    thats what im looking at doing very soon, and dont get to carried away with heavy duty clutchs they just break the next weekest link in the system, usually the g/box
    -Logan-

fidanza makes one for my car... 800$ mabby next year, I dont make enough to pay that now... Thats almost as much as I got my 3.2L for...

hmm expensive...
    do u know how heavy a standard flywheel is and how much lighter the fidanza one is?
    p.s. do u ride mx?
    -Logan-

stock is over 40lbs I think, and aftermarket is liek 18... but I like the heavy flywheel... My car stalls like 27 sconds after start, ppl claim its the overload protection realy.

I rode bmx for 10 yrs, was powerlight, and brand X sponsored. When praticin I rode w/a X for a number plate, and started using the name RacerX from the descent cheat code, and that it was speeds brother. I really like the name, I know Im not the first to use it but I have been since 1995-96...when I was about 15 years old.

started having tranny problems pretty recently around 93,000 miles. ive only put 8000 miles on the car. im experiencing the same problem as davis449. sometimes when im at a light, i let my foot off the brake and it doesnt move. it feels like im still in a higher gear so i have to floor it to move to driving speeds and when i floor it moves very very slowly. i usually pull over and restart the engine. problem usually fixes after that.

havent gotten it looked at yet. i drive a 97 c280.

update. well finally got it checked and i might need a new tranny. my mechanic said he can try swaping the electric wiring and oil in the transmission and see if it fixes the problem. if not then i will probably have to get a new transmission.

update. well today i got my car back. paid $670 to replace the electric kit in the tranny. transmission works fine now. whew.

mine's a 1994 C200, had it for only about a week & the mileage was 172,000km (bout 78,000miles) when i took it...

the tranny (its an automatic) had problems when i was driving the car to the painters last saturday...it suddenly wont engaged when put into "D"... had to wait after a while (more like after it had to cool down) before it went "normal: again... will be towing the car to the garage once painting is completed...

i heard that its a common problem for the W202 model..gearbox problems....

alright guys... time for me to join the bad tranny club. my car will drive in 1st-3rd and once 4th hits, it will just rev. if i accellerate fairly slow, SOMETIMES itll get into 4th, but will get stuck there even when i come to a complete stop. (my car will be revving high and will be going very slow) i have yet took it to a MB tech to check it out. if my transmission needs to be replaced would you guys recommend rebuilding mine or buying a rebuilt one? i will be iffy about keeping the car after i fix it because i dont want the same thing to happen again.

model : 1999 C230 Kompressor
    mileage at the time tranny show some sign: 125,000
    driveable at the time: yes, drives fine in 1st-3rd
    solution : dont know yet..
    coverage: my bank account

Model :1999 C230 Kompressor
    Mileage at the time of issue: 61000
    Drivable: Yes, for now
    Solution: Yet to be decided
    Coverage: Me

My problem is a bit odd, I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue here. I was driving along at about 5mph, and then floored it. I had the selector in D, but, when the car got to the top of first gear, the transmission didn't shift until it bumped the fuel cut(or ignition cut) and then shifted. Also, when the car did shift gears, I got a nice tire chirp. Has anyone else had this issue. Now it seems like the transmission is starting to slip every now and then.
    2007 E350 Sport
    1999 C230 Komp. with exhaust.

When I first got my car, it was constantly slipping. Once it slipped so bad the gear selector was on "D" and while I was driving like 35 mph it cut right out to neutral and i had ZERO throttle, just free revving whilst traffic was honking me from behind, they thought i was trying to show or something? Changed tranny fluid and that fixed the problem. Now, my gear selector lever feels like it is like getting loose or something, it doesn't feel as solid and i am afraid that it will move up and down the lever by itself while i am driving!! lol
    :banana:2000 Mercedes-Benz C280 Sport:banana:

20% Tints All Around
    Euro Clear Corners
    AMG Hood/Trunk Emblems
    Avantgarde Grille

-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-

H&R Cup Kit
    Magnaflow Muffler
    AMS Crank Pulley

Admin Approved
    '97 C230

Problem appeared suddenly at about 45,000km

Trans went into limp-home mode - started by not upshifting to 5th (was on highway)

When I came to a stop at the offramp, it went into 1st gear only as a limp-home mode.

Switching to 'W' mode put it into second, though the car was still revving like a mofo.

Problem: Blown transmission module (electronics)

Coverage: Warranty

Car now has 208,000km on the original trans with no issues - flushed/filled/serviced at about 180,000km

1994 c280
    fitted with manual transmission
    rebuilt with new bearings and seal at 170,000km
    i beleive it has been rebuilt before as 3rd gear has been replaced
    also new clutch at 160,000km
    -Logan-

2000 c230k
    bought with 52k miles on it.
    i currently work as a MB tech at an independant shop. so i decided to scan my car with D.A.S. just for kicks. the transmission control module had stored codes for tranny fluid temp sensor, and park neutral safety switch sporadically faulty. these codes are the warning signs of a conductor plate going bad in the electronic shift trannys. (equiped in i believe 96+ MB's) since replacing the conductor plate. ive had no signs of anything and im coming up on 85k.

MB also claimed that their transmissions would go for 100k without a fluid flush. but often times like all of you. cars would come in with sporadic shifting, hard shifting, no-shifting.. etc... with less than 60k. and uppon pulling the oil pan and taking a look at the fluid, there would be metal flakes and band material.. well bottom line is, MB does not claim the 100k tranny anymore. and most shops now are recomending a tranny flush at no more than 60k.