Thread: cold air intake vs normal filter..plz help

cold air intake vs normal filter..plz help

hello, whats the difference between a cold air intake and a normal air filter, and how much does each cost, and are they both easy to assemble...oh and wich has more power

thank you

This is a question that should be answered by a search of the forum, as your individual questions have been covered in some for by previous posts

But, to give you a high level basic:

1. "normal" air filters are replacement filters that go in the stock location

2. Cold Air Intakes typically alter the actual air intake path in some way shape or form. Typical examples are replacing your airbox with a mushroom air filter and some tubing. A less than typical example would be speedybenz's custom fabricated modified airbox and tubing routed to the bumper.

3. Cost, effectiveness, and ease of installation are all variable based on two things, design and execution.

Start searching the forums and other online sources and after you've read up on why cold air is a good thing, and how to get it into your engine, you can evaluate solutions yourself, install them yourself, and report back to us on what works and what doesn't work.

What you want to avoid is installing something without having a clue as to why you're doing it, and without realistic expectations of what you'll get from it.

Too often, people will mod their cars with X "cold air intake" and end up actually losing power and drivability, as they have installed a poorly thought out solution which too often sucks in hot air at a lower volume than their stock box.

And at that point, all you can say is "it's for show"

And I don't know about you, but I don't mod my car to make it slower.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

actually switching to cold air intake on my c220 twice (first one was cheapy foil pipe( test purpose), second is aluminim pipe for 96-00 civic cold air, cut the S pipe in half to fit the c220 (see pics on ebay)

well as my opinion, both times, the cold air gave me 30-40 miles more per tank, any more responce. i just wanted better mileage. i used to get 340-350, now i get 380-390 (both mostly city driving)

power wise, engine revs more freely now.
    95 C220 Moonstone/Gray mb-tex
    MODS
    - Replica Avantgarde Grill
    - Flat hood Emblem
    - Plat +4 plugs
    - In Dash Pioneer CD and pioneer speakers
    - XM Radio
    - pioneer 12\" DVC Sub
    - Boss amp
    - Blue headlights & APC signals
    - H&R Springs
    - Bilstein sports up front