Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a big brake kit for a c43 question

I got a big brake kit for a c43 question

Ok I was looking at my car today and noticed that my front rotors look like they're gonna need replacing soon. I've heared that the front rotors are gonna be about $500 for the pair. Is that correct? If so I might was well go with a big brake kit and get better stopping. I know there is the C32 upgrade? Is it worth it? I may upgrade to 18s too and I read they don't fit with 18s. So I was thinking of a bbk from brembo or willwood or ap racing. but how is the maintenance on these kits? How much would it be for replacement pads and replacement rotors? I'm trying to see what would be the best route for me as far as braking power, cost efficancy, looks, etc.

BBK are usually north of $2k. THe C32 brake kit takes some tweaking to work right on W202 (convert from leading to trailing)

OG Moderator
    There are some clearance issues with the stock rims and the C32 calipers.
    Stock rotors shouldn't be $500, as they are only $300CDN per pair for my C36 from the dealer, and that's about $250 in the US. Mine has the large rotors and 4 piston calipers by the way. When the cars were new, prices were higher, as they are in any MB. When a car is one generation old, like our 202s are currently, the parts prices drop dramatically from the dealer. Always check their price first before buying a part. Sometimes they will surprise you.

The C32 brake upgrade cost is currently about $1500CDN from the dealer. I checked last week.
    \'05 C230k (the wife\'s car)
    \'09 smart (fun as heck)
    sold all my 202s

Benzfan, your C36 has very different front brakes from a C43, so your rotors are much cheaper than a C43, which are 2-piece bonded aluminum/steel. The C43 rotors are over $300ea from the dealer, but I've seen them cheaper on ebay.

The C32 front brake upgrade is not a great choice on a C43 because the caliper and therefore the brake pads do not line up correctly with the rotor. Most people don't realize it but the W202 chassis has had 2 different front spindles, even though the parts catalog shows there is only one replacement. The early W202's until 1997, and then the 4-cyl models until 1999 (maybe until 2000, I'm not sure) had a smaller front spindle that the C32 brakes bolt up to perfectly and fit great. But the later V-6 and V-8 model W202's have a different front spindle that is also shared with the SLK (R170) that the C32 brakes don't match up well with. You can tell the difference in the spindles by looking to see if there are some large numbers cast into the backside of the spindle (something like 202 14 20, 202 15 20 if I remember right). If your car has these number's then you have the later style spindle, and if there are no numbers, then you have the earlier style that C32 brakes bolt right up to.

I've personally put C32 brakes on a number of different cars, including a few members on this board, and I've been investigating this for a while trying to figure out the difference as different W202 cars come in for service , trying to get measurements and figure out which cars came with what spindles, so far that is what I've learned so I hope it helps.

Then of course, you still have the issue of the caliper pistons being in the wrong orientation, which in my opinion isn't a very big deal because every car I've put them on stops very well. I can see the logic and of course they were designed that way for a reason, and I would rather have it correct than not, but to me it's not worth the work of disassembling a brand new painted caliper possibly creating problems and definately damaging the paint for minimal improvement.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

OG Moderator
    Thanks for the clarification. I had never done brakes on a C43, so I just assumed they couldn't be worse than the C36 for price....but I guess one should never take anything for granted on the AMG cars.

Thanks for the info on the spindles. It's strange that there's only 1 replacement. I was planning to do the C32 brake upgrade on my car, but now I have a bit more research to do first.
    \'05 C230k (the wife\'s car)
    \'09 smart (fun as heck)
    sold all my 202s

listen if i was you i would put more money and do a big brake upgrade. i did it on my car and it was the best thing i ever did! it also saved my life when i was raceing this audi a6 and some bitch was going 20 on the fuckin highway. i slammedon my brakes and if i didnt have thsese puppys i would have bin dead and my car gone!!

In Charge

Thumbs up

Originally posted by jstrat85
    it also saved my life when i was raceing this audi a6 and some bitch was going 20 on the fuckin highway. i slammedon my brakes and if i didnt have thsese puppys i would have bin dead and my car gone!!
    If you werent racing on the highway, you would have never been in a situation where you needed to depend on your brakes.

Thumbs down. :dispoint:
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    If you werent racing on the highway, you would have never been in a situation where you needed to depend on your brakes.

Thumbs down. :dispoint:
    lol.
    1997 C280 Sport

yea i know but im useing it as an example. here are some pics of the big brake kit.

In Charge
    Just be careful. No sense wasting your time, money and effort if you're going to be wreckless. There are alot of really bad drivers out there, and while you may think you are an excellent driver the same may not be the case for others on the road. Also think about the negatives effects that may result.

Dont get me wrong, I love a good run myself every now and then. At highway speeds you cannot always depend on bbk. You may have reduced your 60mph to 0mph by 10 feet, but at 120mph it is a whole different story.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by jstrat85
    it also saved my life when i was raceing this audi a6 and some bitch was going 20 on the fuckin highway. my car
    Should have gotten the BIG BRAIN kit too.
    Yes, I have a few mods, but they\'re so discrete, my wife hasn\'t noticed them.

2000 C 230 K

Come on you guys, leave jstrat alone. We have all "gone over the speed limit" so to say at least once in our lives. I mean, in this website alone is the "How fast have you driven" thread that goes one for NINE pages of people posting triple digit speeds.

Every website I go to attacks people for talking about some race on the streets, but you know damn well all those doing the attacking have probably raced on the street themselves in the last three months.

yep i agree with underpressure, we all at one point or another had a street race or 2, as dangerous as it is, and stupid, we just do it, and i highly doubt that there is anyone on this website, who never raced on a highway, or at least broke the speed limit,
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Yea hypocrite is a word that normally comes to mind.
    and jstrat85 was not bragging about this simple telling what happened, the worst people are people who tell a dangerous story of road racing and are proud of it
    but yea That is a nice bbk their jstrat85

you do need to exercise a fair bit of common sence where you speed, as i would say most of the people on this site are good drivers (why we made it to this site = car enthusiasts) and it is the idiots out their that will catch us out like your story.

knvs just as a side not instead of spending a fair bit of $$$ on bigger brakes a good quality pad can make a good difference
    just a thought, you may already have these<
    -Logan-

Spring Master
    i'll buy ur C43 calipars and calipar brackets for 300 if u decide to upgrade to bbk.

personally, i radther stay with C43 brakes, they are only ~~.3inch smaller or so than the C32. And if you compare Brake pads form a C32 to a C43 the C32 pads are smaller than the C43 brake pads. C32 brake rotors are only Left or was it right rotor. so you will be putting a rotor that meant for one side on the other side of a car which will not cool down effectly. but thats only if you do high performance braking. also the hub will need to be drilled to fit the screw that hold the rotor onto the hub, drilling the rotor will only make the rotor unblanced.

the C43 brakes are as good as the C32 brakes if not better. that is to compare a W202 with C43 brakes to a W202 with C32 brakes.

as above Mentioned C43 rotors are 2 piece rotors and comes in Left and Right rotor setup instead of a C32 Left rotor(?) setup only.

btw my dad told me this information

edit:
    if the leading and tailing of the pistons are to remain orginal the brake pad wear will show signs of more wear on the leading piston than on the tailing piston. i think that shows that the brakes are not being used to its full potential. i would stick with C43 brakes, but thats just me.

all this is comparing C32 to C43 ONLY

upgrading from C230/230k/280 to C32 shuold be fine. but a C43 kit is recommended for better stops

so anyways sell me ur calipars and calipar brackets for 300. i'll even take em off your car in 30 minuets or less.

thanks for the info guys. Seems like keeping the stock setup is better for me financially. I'd love to go bbk, but seems like the preformance gains are minimal to its cost, and the C32 looks like more work then I'd want to do. Besides I always thought the C43 had great breaks. Doesn't it out brake a 355? I have stock pads on now. I wasn't able to find anything as far as aftermarket pads when I changed them. Whats out there as far as pads?

thebreakman.com does a kit for the c43for around2.2k speedybenz uses them, they could also do a back break kit as well, light and much more powerful than others... and hey, drive fast, go crazy, have a near life experience...
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

Originally posted by manny
    Should have gotten the BIG BRAIN kit too.

haha that was so funny.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :werd: O

as for pads.
    EBC?? im not sure if they sell these for c43 but i run ebc greenstuffs better brakeing and less dust, but there may be better pads around for you, EBC make other ones for heavier powerful cars
    -Logan-

Originally posted by tpliquid
    i'll buy ur C43 calipars and calipar brackets for 300 if u decide to upgrade to bbk.

personally, i radther stay with C43 brakes, they are only ~~.3inch smaller or so than the C32. And if you compare Brake pads form a C32 to a C43 the C32 pads are smaller than the C43 brake pads. C32 brake rotors are only Left or was it right rotor. so you will be putting a rotor that meant for one side on the other side of a car which will not cool down effectly. but thats only if you do high performance braking. also the hub will need to be drilled to fit the screw that hold the rotor onto the hub, drilling the rotor will only make the rotor unblanced.

the C43 brakes are as good as the C32 brakes if not better. that is to compare a W202 with C43 brakes to a W202 with C32 brakes.

as above Mentioned C43 rotors are 2 piece rotors and comes in Left and Right rotor setup instead of a C32 Left rotor(?) setup only.

btw my dad told me this information

edit:
    if the leading and tailing of the pistons are to remain orginal the brake pad wear will show signs of more wear on the leading piston than on the tailing piston. i think that shows that the brakes are not being used to its full potential. i would stick with C43 brakes, but thats just me.

all this is comparing C32 to C43 ONLY

upgrading from C230/230k/280 to C32 shuold be fine. but a C43 kit is recommended for better stops

so anyways sell me ur calipars and calipar brackets for 300. i'll even take em off your car in 30 minuets or less.
    TP you want to buy my C43 brakes?

I got C32 ones and no longer need the c43 ones
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Spring Master
    Originally posted by jnolte
    TP you want to buy my C43 brakes?

I got C32 ones and no longer need the c43 ones
    300 shipped

I could also be interested in the c43 brake kit if tpliquid doesnt buy or something....
    *waits to be abused about something to do with my dad*

-looks were you are from- were is WA? in America? or Western Australia?-
    -Logan-

How much did you pay for those stoptechs?
    Uber 202

2,000 something. i dont remember.

jstrat85: what size are your brembo's, mm? also, what is the part number? did you buy them new or used? I am looking into a bbk, and just want to see if what I am looking at is a good deal? you can reply privately if you like. thanks for your help.
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, 197
    The modding has started. Too many to list. Stay Tuned.