Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got a big brake kit for a c43 question

Originally posted by JDoggery
    jstrat85: what size are your brembo's, mm? also, what is the part number? did you buy them new or used? I am looking into a bbk, and just want to see if what I am looking at is a good deal? you can reply privately if you like. thanks for your help.
    he has Stoptechs, they are cheaper priced than brembo
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

mine are 13inch 4 pot calipers. they are made by stoptech. i researched on big brakes kits before i bought mine and i found out that the stoptech are better than brembo and cheaper! stoptech bridge are better designed than brembos! do i like my brakes? i love them! i was going to put a big brake upgrade in the back also but they don't make them for our cars.

Originally posted by jnolte
    he has Stoptechs, they are cheaper priced than brembo
    My friend works for Car & Driver and we talked about the brake upgrade test they did. Stoptech outperformed Brembo. Brembo tied with a simple brake pad and braided brake line upgrade. So if it's true Brembo cost more than Stoptechs, I guess you would be paying more and getting less....

Anyway, one thing people need to know is that BBK's don't really make your car stop in shorter distances as much as it does in preventing brake fade. So if you track your car, BBK is most def in order. But for the street, simply upgrading the components in your existing brake set up should suffice.

i think for alot of people, it just for looks
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

Spring Master
    after my front brakes overheated due to back brakes not working. overheated and stopped in the middle of a intersection good thing the car waited for me to stop before he went. i upgraded to bbk and now no overheating. much better

thebreakman is veryg ood, and I have heard they are better than brembo as well, they can also make something for the rear as well.
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

hmm...
    a brake upgrade in on my mind too. i've had close calls and would really like something better than what i have now. i have a 99' C280, what would be my viable option with highest cost/benefit ratio?

I have the Brembo grand turismo 4 piston front and 4 piston rears. Initially, when I had installed both front and rear, my master cylinder wasnt strong enough to power the massive brakes, my pedal feel was horrible and was basically to the ground. I took the rears off and am currently only running the fronts. I need to find an upgraded master cylinder maybe off of an E55 or CLK55. Just with the front 4 piston Brembos on, I noticed that my car stops a lot better at higher speeds. From 100+ mph, when you slam on the brakes, the car stops in like 1/2 the distance of the stock calipers. I had the AMG C32/55 brembos before and the grand turismo kit feels much better in high speed braking. I have had stock Ate calipers, AMGs, and now these Brembos GT's, the stock brakes are crap. I dont care what people read or say, Ive had them all, so I speak from first hand experience. The AMG 4 pot is obviously better than the stock ATE's, but the grand turismos are even better. Kind of makes me wonder what if I went with the 8 pot.
    Uber 202

C43 upgrade

For what it is worth I changed out brakes on my C43 this summer. Bought Mas Italia cross drilled rotors and Rotax Gold pads for about $1200 total. They work like a charm. They are a bit loud but will haul her down ina new York nano second and no dust.

question - my brakes feel low. I called the dealer and they told me I should be seeing a "Brake Lining Low" indicator when I need to get the pads replaced, etc. I don't have a light on my dash - I think they are referring to some feature on newer models. Do you guys have this?

Originally posted by unHookt
    question - my brakes feel low. I called the dealer and they told me I should be seeing a "Brake Lining Low" indicator when I need to get the pads replaced, etc. I don't have a light on my dash - I think they are referring to some feature on newer models. Do you guys have this?
    My 1994 C220 had this. Refer to your owner's manual to see which dashboard indication light it is.

just found the manual - there IS an indicator of worn brake linings. COOL!

But now, why are my brakes feeling low and crunching/grinding when coming to a complete stop when cold??

Originally posted by unHookt
    just found the manual - there IS an indicator of worn brake linings. COOL!

But now, why are my brakes feeling low and crunching/grinding when coming to a complete stop when cold??
    Its a brake pad sensor. Basically its a pin and wire thats covered in plastic and when it breaks the plastic and wears into the sensor a light on your dash should light up if everything is plugged in correctly. If they unhooked or didnt place the little plastic pin in your pads, there will be no light indicating worn pads. After installing my Brembos, I just zip tied the sensor out of the way because there was no spot for it. If its grinding, I would take the wheels off and inspect the pads/rotors visually.
    Uber 202

there is no indicator for the rear
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition