Thread: Harmonic vibration... Steering play?

Harmonic vibration... Steering play?

Could use some front end advice. My C36 has left-to-right play in the wheel. Allow me to explain: I experience random vibration in front end...swapped wheels known to be road-force balanced. Torqued lugs, the whole routine. Vibration is still there. Both bearings been replaced in lasst 6 months. Checked the bearings. Found LF to be out of spec. Adjusted back into spec. Random vibration IS still there.

It can happen at speeds from 45 to 80. To get it to stops I coast down 10 mph or speed up. It is more harmonic than what you experience when a wheel is out of balance.

Situation: If you put right hand on 3 o'clock and left hand on 9 o'clock, and wiggle left-to-right, there is several millimeters of "play" in the LF wheel. (Makes a slight click when you do this.) No movement on RH wheel. This is still there no matter what position the steering wheel is in.

When I do this and look for any loose connections, (steering, shocks, etc.) nothing seems to move. In fact, it seems like the whole "hub" fixture moves as one.

Any thoughts before I burn money at the Dealer?
    Hotbasco...

OG Moderator
    Situation: If you put right hand on 3 o'clock and left hand on 9 o'clock, and wiggle left-to-right, there is several millimeters of "play" in the LF wheel. (Makes a slight click when you do this.) No movement on RH wheel. This is still there no matter what position the steering wheel is in.
    From what you said above.. I would suspect either an inner or outer tie rod that has failed on the left side.
    you will need to see where the play is coming from.. either the inner or outer tie rod. if its the outer (closest to the wheel) you can replace that as a seperate part, you will need an alignment afterwards.
    however..if its the inner.. it will require the whole drag link assembly.. which connects the left and right side steering knuckles to the steering box, and of course an alignment as well.
    hope this helps.

as for other possibilities.. check the hardy disc for the front and see if there is play at all. (goes inbetween the trans and the front of the driveshaft.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Thanks SlammedC. I'll check the tie rods in the morning. Makes me wonder if one has worked loose enough that there is play in the wheel.

Great CarDomain site. Wish everyone posted detailed DIY photos.
    Hotbasco...

Vibration

Sounds like your harmonic damper is defective. I had to replace it twice in my C43.
    Regards,

Richard

\'99 C-43 ( black/black )

Thanks for suggestion. Would that be the same thing as a steering damper? Even though J replaced it, I put in a new one. It helped perhaps a little bit.

There is still play in the steering that I will continue to chase. MB tech maintains that everything is tight and as expected for 90K car.
    Hotbasco...

Damper

Yes, that is the same thing. Can't figure what may be wrong with your car though. How are your shocks and springs? Everything tightened down in the front ( steering rack, tie rod ends, etc )?
    Hope you get it figured out.
    Regards,

Richard

Can't verify whether springs or shocks are to blame. Removed the Koni's to get a baseline on their settings. Set them to 3 and like the ride better. I think it helped. Still doesn't feel as firm as my other 202 with Bilstein Sports. They are brand new though.

The springs may--repeat may--be contributing since they are cut 1/2 a coil. The suspension geometry is all "bound up." But the look is sick!

I may have to put in the uncut springs to help with the trouble shooting. This will continue to narrow down the possibilities. Will when I have more info.
    Hotbasco...

Springs

Hi,

Not a fan of cut springs. You should investigate Eibach, H&R, Vogtland, etc. I've used both Eibach and H&R with varying results. The H&Rs wore out too quickly and the Eibach had a bit too much bounce.
    Regards,

Richard