Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: supercharger toasted!!!

OG Moderator

supercharger toasted!!!

Well my supercharger no longer works.. Ive noticed the past couple weeks that my supercharger intermittantly would not engage the clutch.. I could audibly hear the clutch trying to click to engage the supercharger.. but every so often it would fail and NO power!! When this happens there is too much of an air gap in between the the pulley and clucth magent.
    so I figured a replacement clucth would be easily done.. but this morning on the way to work it just fried!!.. I could smell electrical burning smell. now I believe my clutch is completely toasted.. so I will either need a new clutch ($500), or a new charger assembly with clutch(~$1800).
    an other option is to have a custom pulley machined(~$1-200).. or the easiest and cheapest of them all... weld the clutch together!!!
    Im going to remove my supercharger tomorrow night and see if I can weld it together.
    Im in the midst of deciding what to do to my engine (swap it out, have internal work done, upgrade supercharger) so for now.. I really dont want to spend money on a new charger or clutch.. so a welding I will go!!
    I will post up tomorrow and let you all know how things went!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Damn...so it was the coil!!!...well if you need a new coil and pully you can have mine,its off the SC at the moment i could find out how much it will cost to ship....just let me know...but going for a lighter fixed pully could be the way to go...sounds expensive though,especially if they have to custom make it fit the spline on the SC shaft...

do you think due to the larger pullys and thus faster ingaugment,the clutch got a hard time?
    I was thinking...maybe it was slipping for some time...and the coil over heated from it?...hmm but then you would see boost drop on your gauge...
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

LOL i just made a sig....looks alittle boring though hmmm
    i need a better photo editor

Not to threadjack, but 23k your car is really nice. I just went to your site and I'm impressed, lots of very nice work done! Congtrats...

Originally posted by benzaddict
    Not to threadjack, but 23k your car is really nice. I just went to your site and I'm impressed, lots of very nice work done! Congtrats...
    hey thanks
    ps im sure slammed wont mind

good luck with the welding slammed_c!! if all else fails, buy a front clip to a e55 and mmmm engine swap the c230k... that would be a first if at all possible!

hey... when did you become a moderator?
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

sad... slammed, i really liked your ride. but with u being the owner, i am sure it will come back to life better than before! good luck!

as to 23k, nice pic. however, IMHO the lines of the front bumper doesn't quite flow with the rest of the car. would u consider using a set of amg side skirts? it's the simple ones without the ripples. it's got a low-reaching edge that may just fit your car.

just my 2 cents.

yip..have been considering C36 sides or maybe wald etc for along time now...
    i really want one that flows onto the defined lower sides of the bumper...
    will upgrade as money allows,damn turbo project is stangling the bank...thanks for the comments

damn, dude. do you have any idea how or why this happened? I guess this gives you a chance to do a V8 swap now

Maybe it was being pushed too much? I barely push mine...will this mean it could last longer?
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Damn...so it was the coil!!!...well if you need a new coil and pully you can have mine,its off the SC at the moment i could find out how much it will cost to ship....just let me know...but going for a lighter fixed pully could be the way to go...sounds expensive though,especially if they have to custom make it fit the spline on the SC shaft...

do you think due to the larger pullys and thus faster ingaugment,the clutch got a hard time?
    I was thinking...maybe it was slipping for some time...and the coil over heated from it?...hmm but then you would see boost drop on your gauge...
    thanks for the offer man.. I may take you up on that depending on how it goes tonight!!
    this is a problem on the M111 kompressor engines.. lots of failed clutch/coils in the past. I dont think it has to do with driving styles (although i do push my car hard) maybe has some to do with the fact Im straining my Kompressor more with the faster spinning from the pulley kit.. but I think its just been happening over time.. and finally the clutch gave out.

I know.. this really gives me the chance to get an E55 engine in my car.. believe me I WANT to do that!... as soon as I can find a complete, but written off E55.. I will do the conversion from C230K to C55!!.. and add a lil power adder to the E55 engine in the form of 2 turbo's!

I will let everyone know how it goes.. keep your fingers crossed!!.. only 2 and a half hours till I rip out the charger and weld er up!.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Slammed...that would be amazing! I would really want to go in that car for a ride on the next toronto meet!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

good god. C55TT. you'd have trouble putting that power to the ground. ASR my ass.

Originally posted by K_Sport Driver
    good god. C55TT. you'd have trouble putting that power to the ground. ASR my ass.
    exactly.

OG Moderator
    Okay.. well that was a waste of time!!.. welding did nothing ata ll.. plus on my drive home I heard one of the welds come flying off!!... and when I checked the clust when I got home.. no weld son it any more what so ever!! those welds were on there pretty good too.
    so either custom machined pulley.. OR...

23k.. can I buy your clutch off you man?
    Im gonna need it!

well so far the C55TT is just a small dream of mine!.. I need to find an E55 donor car first.. then I will make it all happen.

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    Okay.. well that was a waste of time!!.. welding did nothing ata ll.. plus on my drive home I heard one of the welds come flying off!!... and when I checked the clust when I got home.. no weld son it any more what so ever!! those welds were on there pretty good too.

Im gonna need it!

well so far the C55TT is just a small dream of mine!.. I need to find an E55 donor car first.. then I will make it all happen.
    jnenad has a e55 motor and tranny for 10k
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Im gonna need it!

hey no worries you can have for nothing,i'll find out a price for shipping tonight!hopfully it will be quite cheap to ship just the pully and coil...
    found out those kits cost over 600NZD hear...damn there expensive...

LOL who did your welding??

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by jnolte
    jnenad has a e55 motor and tranny for 10k
    I need more then just the motor and trans!! I have a huge list of parts I will need. I really need an entire car.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    hey no worries you can have for nothing,i'll find out a price for shipping tonight!hopfully it will be quite cheap to ship just the pully and coil...
    found out those kits cost over 600NZD hear...damn there expensive...

LOL who did your welding??
    Thats awesome man.. thank you very much. giv eme a holla when you find out shipping prices.
    the lcutch/coil kit costs $600NZD?!!.. well it cost over $500 CAN here!

I did the welding!!

no worries man,hey I got a price...it will cost $49NZD($38CAN) to ship air mail 4 -10 working days...i think also when it clears your customs they might charge you tax on it also!?!?!,but im not sure...so maybe another $10 or somthing...anyhow it will work out alot cheaper than a new or second hand one thats for sure!
    anyhow let me know soon as and i'll send it!,can sort payment out later via paypay or somthing.

Paul

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    no worries man,hey I got a price...it will cost $49NZD($38CAN) to ship air mail 4 -10 working days...i think also when it clears your customs they might charge you tax on it also!?!?!,but im not sure...so maybe another $10 or somthing...anyhow it will work out alot cheaper than a new or second hand one thats for sure!
    anyhow let me know soon as and i'll send it!,can sort payment out later via paypay or somthing.

Paul
    Thats awesome man..but I wont need the clutch off you any more..
    I have some bad news!.. I need a clutch like today!! on the way home tonight my clutch seized and blew apart.. shreding my belt.
    so I drove about 20km with no alternator!..
    I removed my supercharger from my car as soon as I got home.. here is what the damage looks like...

let this be a lesson to everyone else.. if you have an M111 Kompressor motor.. and the SC clutch is making noise.. or acting up so there is no clucth ativated at times.. have it looked at asap.
    I hope I can get a clutch tomorrow.. I have my fingers crossed!.. such perfect timing too.. its me and my girlfriends anniversary.. I hope I can get the part.. and I will take a half day off work so i can put the clutch in.. and HOPEFULLY see my girlfriend.
    Man this sucks.. Im so pissed!......

that sucks.
    i know what u mean, man. cheer up. all will be better after tomorrow.

LOL looks like it took the center out of the friction disc!!!,welds look like they were on there pretty well too!!...
    are you going to get a second hand or new one?
    let us know how you get on...

i see your predicament...no car.....no see gurl...and we all know what happens on anniversary night

well if you end up need'n it let me know man!...

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    LOL looks like it took the center out of the friction disc!!!,welds look like they were on there pretty well too!!...
    are you going to get a second hand or new one?
    let us know how you get on...

i see your predicament...no car.....no see gurl...and we all know what happens on anniversary night

well if you end up need'n it let me know man!...
    Yeh it certainly did take out the centre of the friction disc. lol.. oh the welds were on there good!!.. thats about the only thing thats still actually there!!
    Im going to buy a new one.. as much as I dont want to Im kinda in a predicament where I either buy a new one and hopefully have my car up and running again.. or I wait and dont go out or see my girlfriend at all!... and I really dont want that.

or I wait and dont go out or see my girlfriend at all!... and I really dont want that.
    you can tell her you just spent a cool 500 to make sure you see her!she will be pleased!...hope you didnt go to expensive with the anniversary present!