Thread: Auto Dimming Mirrors

Auto Dimming Mirrors

Does anyone know difference between the tinted blue mirror glass and the regular mirror glass? Does that blue tint mean its auto dimming?
    the reason I ask is because my car has a tinted blue mirror glass on the passenger side but a regular one on the Driver side.

could it have been replaced before I bought the car or is this normal?

Thanks.
    1999 C230 Kompressor
    HK TrafficPro GPS, Avantgarde grill, 35% Tint, 17\" AMG 170, HK Drive+Play iPod interface.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13470

I haven't noticed any difference in color between my driver (autodim) vs passenger mirrors, but in terms of telling if it is autodimming, they have a black plastic surround at the edge of the glass.

My US w202 and Euro w210 autodim mirrors had this distinguishing feature.

Another "feature" of the autodimming glass is they turn transparent yellow when they age/fail. I suppose this is to make things higher contrast j/k. But my dealer tried to say this was not a defect. Which later i found it was.

Originally posted by kameraguy
    I haven't noticed any difference in color between my driver (autodim) vs passenger mirrors, but in terms of telling if it is autodimming, they have a black plastic surround at the edge of the glass.
    Thanks I will check if both mirrors have the surround on them.

if anyone else has a chance to check their mirrors to see if one blue one plain is normal I would appriciate it, I am not sure if I should be looking to buy a drivers side mirror glass to match

Thanks.
    1999 C230 Kompressor
    HK TrafficPro GPS, Avantgarde grill, 35% Tint, 17\" AMG 170, HK Drive+Play iPod interface.

On my W140 the passanger side is a differant color.
    The auto dim function only works on the inside and passenger
    side mirrors NOT on the driver's door.
    That is normal, also should NOT dim when put in reverse.
    Kevin

Are you saying dimming doesn't work on the driver's side mirror? Because that would be opposite of how my car, and all the other MB's i've seen operate. On my car, and a few e-classes i've seen and driven, the driver's side mirror autodims, NOT the passenger side. At least this is what i've seen, and what i've heard other members report from Europe as well.

I have not seen a MB with dimming passenger side mirror.

both of my mirrors i guess have been replaced cause neither have the dimming feature....
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

hrm... My drivers side has a slight yellow tint. Does that mean its defective? I never really noticed the autodiming feature. My car has tinted windows so it doesn't really matter.

knvs, does your drivers side mirror still dim? I have seen a few MBs with a yellow tint...and it appears the photochromatic material either fails, or breaks down. Not sure if this is even how it works. But when I initially bought my car I asked a few people form mercedesshop and others confirmed the mirror has gone bad and needed to be replaced. It seems a "failing" autodim mirror will start turning this yellow color.

When I proved to the dealer the mirror was bad, I had it replaced and the new glass worked fine.

btw- I don't know how much the w202 autodimming drivers side glass cost, but when my w210 aspherical autodim glass broke off and fell (don't know how), I found it cost a whopping $500+ just for this glass!!! What a freakin' rip! Since this was coming out of my pocket, I was able to find an extra and avoid that cost!

Well my passenger side is blue, and it doesn't dim. My driver's side is the normal shade and auto-dims.
    2000 Volvo S70 GLT SE

Passenger side is Blue,driver's side is regular and dimming.Wow,this whole time I thought it was replaced...

Just have to throw in my 2 cents...

I can't stand the auto-dimming mirrors. I'm glad I don't have 'em on my car. I've driven my father's E430 a few times at night with the auto-dimming shit and I find it entirely unnecessary. Same with rain sensing wipers, I don't need my car to think for me. Anyway, just had to voice my opinion. Peace.
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

Now Im curious, i will have to go out tommorow and try to make my way in front of a few suvs or trucks to test out exactly which mirrors will dim.

this is a nice feature, in my w203 the mirrors don't dim and im always getting blinded at a stoplight with a jacked up SUV or truck with his highbeams on.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

To test your mirrors, all you have to do is turn on your headlights and place your finger over the sensor on interior rearview mirror. There is a small "dot" which you will find on the upper right. When you cover it you should notice your driver's side and middle mirrors dim.

ok i definetly dont have the dimming mirrors, ne idea how hard it is to replace the glass ?
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Originally posted by Abuimad
    ok i definetly dont have the dimming mirrors, ne idea how hard it is to replace the glass ?
    not that hard to replace at all...jus a little expensive for the mirrior glass itself
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

all three

on my 99 c230 kompressor sport all three (driver, rear, passenger) dim. shortly after I got the car I noticed the passenger side was a slightly different color. The dealer replaced it under the extended warrantee I purchased with the car - already that warrantee has paid for itself!

I think the autodim mirrors are amazing. Driving on an unlit highway at night, people often use their brights, which is ridiculous and annoying without the dimming feature. When I drive my girlfriend's Honda Pilot (an SUV with rear tints) even non-high beam headlights annoy the crap out of me. Overall, I strongly support this feature.

As for rain sensing wipers, I think the layout of the controls on the W202 are ergonomically correct enough for it to be easy to turn the blade on when it starts raining. I don't think I would find this so useful.

Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
    not that hard to replace at all...jus a little expensive for the mirrior glass itself
    You will also need the interior rearview with light sensor if you don't have it already.