Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance Chips?

Performance Chips?

Anyone know of a place that makes performance chips for the M104 inline 6 engines? Not ready to do a turbo or supercharger im thinking of performance chips
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

In Charge
    I read somewhere that UpSolute could make a custom chip for you.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

OG Moderator
    Anyone know about a chip for a V6 3.2?
    Token Chrysler owner

OG Moderator
    Isn't there someplace in Australia where you can send off your ECU for them to reprogram and send back?

In Charge
    Powerchips I believe. I'll post the addy when I find it.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

I do not think you guys really want a chip. The reason being that the chip programmer can only make crude quesses about how much ignition timing and fuel to add to your car.

The reason is that without the car in front of the programmer on a dyno how is he going to know what changes to make that will work best.

I would suggest a piggyback ECU module which allows an on-site programmer to add ignition timing and fuel while your car is on the dyno. This method allows an experienced programmer to get the most out of your car.

The two piggback ECU's that seem to perform the best are the Unichip and Perfect Power modules.

Do a search for the Unichip with the words Racers Group. And the Perfect Power under that name.

At this point I would chose the Perfect Power unit as it can be owner programmed and it will hold either 2 or 3 programmes and allows you to switch between the programs.

The Unichip is progammed on the dyno and that is the program you drive off with. If you make substantial changes to your motor you have to go back for additional tuning. Not really a bad thing if your not real experienced on the methods used to tune a motor with a laptop and ECU.

Do the searches and some homework. I will be happy to answer any questions, if I can.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

In Charge
    Jeff:

I had purchased an UpSolute chip a few months ago, but havent had it installed. When I was at the shop, they downloaded the stock parameters of my car. Is this what they do to make a piggyback ECU? If not, then what would have been the purpose of getting the stock parameters?

BTW, I havent had it installed due to some metal casing that was around the ECU. Though they had claimed to work on MB's before, they were unfamiliar with the metal casing. So...I'm kinda stuck with the chip and in order to have it done, I need to send it out to their headquarters.

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Denlasoul,

They download the stock ECU info so they can make changes to the ignition maps and fuel settings and other parameters. However, without you car strapped to a dyno they are making an educated guess based on similar experience to set the ignition timing or fuel.

For instance; Upsolute adds 10 degrees timing, but is that where your car runs best. If it was on the dyno the programmer would add 10 degrees timing and run the car, which would allow you see the dyno graph and compare the data between the stock setting and the new setting. And you continue this process for all the different throttle settings, rpm and ignition timing until you have generated the best ECU maps for YOUR car.

More on this topic soon, but now the Boss wants to see me!

JEff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

I have a Custom Superchip installed on my C36. It was programmed and messed with by the guy like Jeff said.

Speedy,

This sounds like a laborious process. How much will it cost to get the car tuned just right and who in Southern California can do this best?

Originally posted by Luwin1026
    Isn't there someplace in Australia where you can send off your ECU for them to reprogram and send back?
    Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Powerchips I believe. I'll post the addy when I find it.
    http://www.powerchip.com.au

Damn!!! I try to put in my car spec and came out with 15hp more and cost like $490!!!!! insane!!!!
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

CKlasse
    I have chip on my VW.. Without the 'turbo factor' the only two things it does is timing advance and richer AFR.

I will take the plunge and purchase one and do a write up. I am tyring to speak to someone live. However, there is no number listed and calling 411 they cant find anything either.

Powerchip Inc,
    233 Wilshire Blvd.,
    4th Floor
    Santa Monica, CA

I emailed them saying I wanna test what they have. So lets hope someone contacts me. Having no way of speaking to someone live isnt cool.

Mr. Powerchips if youre reading this call me at the number I left at the webmaster address.

OG Moderator
    Yeah - hope they contact you! I'm 15 minutes away from that Santa Monica place, but I can't find the number either!

Thats what I'm saying. Shoot yeah you can order it on the web, but you want to talk to someone. And what if you have a problem who ya gonna call?

Mr. Powerchip call us!

OG Moderator
    Did you try calling the office "Down Under?" I tried - but not sure how to dial internationally here

lu: you should pay em a vist and tell em nokia wants to ask them a few questions hahaha.

Hey there site isnt working now.

OG Moderator
    Joey -

Email me the questions, and I'll see what I can do.

Joey, I would call up these guys and get them to make a chip for the I6 W202. They seem to do very good work and if I was going to chip a car this would be the one I used.

They work long enough to achieve smooth power curves. They also di the chip for the C230K of John Peck?

http://www.giacusa.com.

Jeff

Thanks for the tip Jeff. And as in internet time things have moved on so I am focus on another thing.

Attention spans.... eh go figure.

I have been using the PerfectPower SMT5i for over 6 months, and can't say enough about how great it has been. I can serioulsly tune my car with my laptop, what could be better?

For more info go to:
    http://www.perfectpower.com/Products/smt6.asp

Jason
    Black C220, HKS Turbo & tons o\' other goodies = 14.3 in 1/4 Mile with time-slips to prove it... now long gone, RIP:-(
    Dyno charts are cool... but trap times are proof. My Evo keeps me happy now.

OG Moderator

Talking

Originally posted by nokia8860
    I will take the plunge and purchase one and do a write up. I am tyring to speak to someone live. However, there is no number listed and calling 411 they cant find anything either.

Powerchip Inc,
    233 Wilshire Blvd.,
    4th Floor
    Santa Monica, CA

I emailed them saying I wanna test what they have. So lets hope someone contacts me. Having no way of speaking to someone live isnt cool.

Mr. Powerchips if youre reading this call me at the number I left at the webmaster address.

Joey I have emailed them about you

Let me know how it turns out.

Regardz,

J Irwan

email me again. i didnt get it

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I just dowloaded the PDF brochure from their web site for the C36 and it says that their Powerchip is only 49-state legal. It's not legal in Cali !!!