Thread: Seats... thoughts on upgrading seats.

OG Moderator

Seats... thoughts on upgrading seats.

I would love to install a pair of racing (not solid 1 piece racing seats mind you!) seats.
    I have thought about Sparco, Recaro, Corbeau, Bride.... also thought about using factory seats.. C43 seats.
    and another thought crossed my mind too.. will the R171 seats bolt up to the stock locations in the W202? the R171 seats look very light.. and they arent very large in dimensions.. seem to be very thin seats.. but they honestly look pretty slick.
    Im thiking Id have to go custom seat tracks to get the slk seat in the 202..
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

rollinrealbig
    SLK seats on 202 ... why havnt I thought of that ? LoL

yea Im having the same seat issues, I want new seats, but my car int. color is tan so its hard to find seats that will match perfectly, cmon - imagine Red and black seats inside an all brown interior ? ?? pretty ricey.

this topic has been on my mind for ages too!,i want them to be alot lighter,carbon would be nice(stock is 26Kg each),reclining with plenty of padding and must not have too higher sides!...
    i found a few but there all to deep to sit in...and damn there expensive!!
    and would definatly need new rails!
    i wonder what the SLK ones weigh?

also i found ones by Corbeau and a few others that were tan colour i think?!?!
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

luwin used to have corbeau seats in his car, not sure which model, but they looked really good, and from what ive seen compared to other brands corbeau is pretty cheap

rollinrealbig
    Im not picky with the style - I like my seats real low, and laid back alot!

and I like them if they have high sides, like bucket seats - but they MUST recline!!!!

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    Im not picky with the style - I like my seats real low, and laid back alot!

and I like them if they have high sides, like bucket seats - but they MUST recline!!!!
    yeh they must recline thats for sure!...have you had a daily driver with high sides before?

I found my last two sets of recaros(found in evos or typeR's) to be very uncomfortable on any long trips due to them holding my legs together causing hip and groin pain lol(and im by no means heavy)....also getting in and out many times a day becomes a PITA...just my opinion though.

OG Moderator
    Last time I checked with MBenzNL, the SLK seats were not directly compatible with the 202 - but that was for the R170 - not sure about the R171 as I have not been able to take a closer look at them. However, I would imagine them to be quite hefty in the price department as an OEM seat . . . if you are set on trying this route, I would certainly try to contact MBenzNL and ask him to advise.

However, "directly compatible" is not a term that should deter you, as I don't suppose it would be impossible to have fabricated a custom seat bracket to mount the seat of your choice. But in regard to a fully automatic seat like the R171, I would imagine it would be more involved as you have to somehow mount the track, and also ensure it is compatible on the electronic (switches, connectors, etc.) front.

As mentioned above, I had the Corbeau CR-1 seats in my 202 - as there was never a plug-and-play adapter bracket for W202s, I used their universal sliders and ended up bolting them to the floor, ensuring that it did not go through any wiring/electronics in the floor under the carpet.

As for color compatibility, it shouldn't be too hard for your local competent auto upholstery shop to reskin your seats in the fabric/color of your choice.

If you are going for baller status, there are a lot of CF or CF/Kevlar seats out there that look amazing, such as the CF offering from Sparco or my personal favorite, Status seats.

Best of luck in searching for the right swaddling for your back and butt.

rollinrealbig
    Originally posted by 23K
    yeh they must recline thats for sure!...have you had a daily driver with high sides before?

I found my last two sets of recaros(found in evos or typeR's) to be very uncomfortable on any long trips due to them holding my legs together causing hip and groin pain lol(and im by no means heavy)....also getting in and out many times a day becomes a PITA...just my opinion though.
    yup! my friend has these type of seats in his Eclipse which I drove around all day today ... the seats have really high sides and they are low and laid back ... I loved them!!!! I really hate the seats that are wide and up high - I feel like im sitting on a bench! I find those Hi-sided seats comfertable. but thats just me. im not like the other 202'ers LoL

another thing ... I really dont like belts. especially the racing kind made by Sparco.

maybe after my 3 years in bucket seats iv turned into a grandpa

racing style seats are cheezy in daily drivers. I wouldent ever put one in my everyday car, just not my style.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

rollinrealbig
    Originally posted by jnolte
    racing style seats are cheezy in daily drivers. I wouldent ever put one in my everyday car, just not my style.
    yea I agree if on that ... but if they match really well with your stock interior and the color is not flat-out ricey then Id say they are fine with me.

OG Moderator
    depends.. if it suites the car.. then go for it.. obviously racing seats.. (proper 1 piece!) arent really meant for daily drivers.. but a more agressive seat with slightly higher bolsters and such will be better for the more spirited driver!!.. keep ur arse in ur seat!!
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

the leather or suede sparco Milanos arnt bad
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    depends.. if it suites the car.. then go for it.. obviously racing seats.. (proper 1 piece!) arent really meant for daily drivers.. but a more agressive seat with slightly higher bolsters and such will be better for the more spirited driver!!.. keep ur arse in ur seat!!
    Exactly!

hey i weighed my seats in at 26Kg's a while back,so theres a possible 52Kgs to play with here...
    i checked these recliners:
    Sparco milano's-20Kg's
    Sparco torino's-18.1Kg's
    Sparco monza's-18.1Kg's
    MOMO RS2 GT-9.62kg's
    MOMO street racer GT-11.52Kg's

so purly based on wieght... if i got the MOMO ones(in black) for around 550USD each does anyone think it would be worth the 30+Kg's of savings??(maybe alittle heavier including rails)

bucket/sport seats are a pain...my friend has the new gti and it really does hurt....my bro has a rs6 and those are comfy but on long distance traels they kill......
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Exactly!

hey i weighed my seats in at 26Kg's a while back,so theres a possible 52Kgs to play with here...
    i checked these recliners:
    Sparco milano's-20Kg's
    Sparco torino's-18.1Kg's
    Sparco monza's-18.1Kg's
    MOMO RS2 GT-9.62kg's
    MOMO street racer GT-11.52Kg's

so purly based on wieght... if i got the MOMO ones(in black) for around 550USD each does anyone think it would be worth the 30+Kg's of savings??(maybe alittle heavier including rails)
    Damn.. the stock seats weigh that uch huh!... we.. theres a lil weight to get rid of there!... Im more going for looks and comfort completley over weight savings.. I just like the look of the R171 seat..

LOL family car dot com....
    must say those seats do look good!

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    Damn.. the stock seats weigh that uch huh!... we.. theres a lil weight to get rid of there!... Im more going for looks and comfort completley over weight savings.. I just like the look of the R171 seat..
    those are some weak ass bolsters, my c43 got better ones than that, those wont hold you in
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

OG Moderator
    those are some weak ass bolsters, my c43 got better ones than that, those wont hold you in
    I would modify the bolsters.. but I just like the look of the seat.

rollinrealbig
    Hmm those seats are OK ... but not something id be putting in my 202.

ive seen better ones. two-tone would be awesome but you would have to do everything custom in the back ones as well.