Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Subwoofers?

Sony EDITED: JL AUDIO 6W0 In rear deck

EDITED!!NOW NEED TO KNOW ABOUT JL AUDIO 6WO's IN REAR DECK!!!

Hey whats up guys? so i've been looking for an entry level subwoofer system for my 94c280 with bose and a alpine cda-xx56? well they have this sub system below for $249 ant circuit city, two sony 12inch subs(was looking for only one sub but hey) sony box, and the sony amp below. the box with the subs is 149by itself and the amp is 99. do any of you guys have or have heard this system? from what i posted does it look like a good deal/good quality? is sony xplod a good company/good sq? how about the amp? does it have enough power for the subs? the salesman at circuit city was telling me i may have problems with the alpine install, he said depending on haw it was installed the high or low signals may not be right for the sub? that my volume may be on 15 but i might not be getting all the bass i should be? i have know idea what he was talking about. im fairly good with all this kinda stuff, just wanted your input/opinions.

GO TO BOTTOM OF PAGE NEW QUESTION!!! LOL

Thanks
    Anf6789

2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

hey whats going on...i dont see why u want to a system at the city anyways?...i have an alpine 9857 head unit...2 12" JL audio W3v2's and a JL audio 500/1 amp...3 layers of dynamat...and i bump really good...sony explodes are crap...if i recall the only kinda good thing at the city is maybe kicker....but anyways...and dont skimp on the wireing kit...G

Originally posted by benzo23
    ...sony explodes are crap...
    :werd:

haha, i mean im not trying to build a crazy competition system, and i wan't a decent system for the money, you know? just something to add some more low end and when i want i can turn it up and hear it form down the block,lol, oh i will get some good wiring, no jensen or anything like that,lol
    Drexel Business '11

1 - 12" sub in a box will do. I used to have a clarion 12" sub and it did the job...more than enough bass.

Dont touch Sony anything!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Im not a certified sound guy, however I do have a Sony Xplod 12'' in my 280 and it does the job. I got the sub for a good price, and yes I have heard that they are crap. BUT I have had mine bumpin for the past 3 years with no problems except my Rockford Fosgate amp blew up, but that was under warrante. That amp is not going to give you enough power though, and I heard sony amps reallyyyy suck. So for the price Id get it, but get a way bigger amp since that is the most important for good sound. And make sure you get a good box. Just yesterday a dumb cop told me to turn my sub off, its ILLEGAL! And that was at volume 2! (with one 12)

sony= lol
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

sony= lol

OK OK!! i get the picture, SONY SUCKS i guess,lol this is why checked first before i got it. i really only want one 12 any way, but this deal came with two. ill probably end up getting an alpine type e or s or one of the other good brands.
    thanks for the help,
    anf6789
    Drexel Business '11

I had Xplod's, they are just cheap.

even though I have a Sony head unit - im satisfied with that, I just ordered a Memphis 10". Memphis audio is up there along with JL and RockFos. I have personally never tried Alpine, but I hear its not bad. Sony and Pioneer are more NooB audio - mostly found in civics and popular among the ricer community. thats why they are sold at Wal-Mart along with the famous "lightning audio".
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

..well as much as i am into my system...the 202 has a terrible set up for systems...first of all the seats dont even fold down...secondly in the trunk there is that huge metal piece on the back of the seats...which really tones down any bass that you will get...i have a 98 c230 and i already described my system...and also what i did was take out the 2 back stock speakers in the back below the windshield...it acts as a almost ghetto rigged port to the truck..which allows more bass into the cabin...more air movement = more bass...and i also have 3 layers of dynamat in the truck which elimated any of that annoying rattle...and some things ive noticed in my car is that it sounds better with the head rest down....all i can really conclude this with is that "try" to stay away from Sony Explodes...im sure in that one guys case for 3 years...im sure sony make 1 good one for every 1000...llol...and he got that one...ha...but u cant go wrong with JL audio, Eclipse, or Memphis...im not to familiar with the alpines or rockfords....just my .02...and no jenson wiring please...it has to much of a gap in between the wireing.. jl makes a great wiring kit and so does rockford from what i understand...and if you want sound quality get a sealed box...if u want more bass then get a ported box...take care...cheers..G

no to sony just incase you didnt get the point already

i work in the mobile electronics install area and to make a long story short is you get what you pay for...if you cant afford it save until you can...you dont need cheap non preforming equipment in your car. bacause in the long you'll be paying more to replace it.
    short and sweet

yes, i am definitly a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"...like i said earlier i have JL audio...i got what i paid for...i have over 2k in my audio...and it shows...and hears....lol...if it were me...and i just wanted one sub in a 202 i would get a jl audio 12"w6 or a 10" w7....more than you will ever need...and a jl500/1 amp wil push them both great...cheers...G

ill probalbey get a higher end 10 or 12 and an amp, the alpines look nice and my alpine head unit is the bomb so ill probably go that route, thanks for all your opinions!

what about what i said about the hi/low converter problem? any info on that?
    Drexel Business '11

OK OK just got another crazy idea. anyone ever heard the jl audi 6W0's they are small 6inch subs for 149 for 2 on ebay, don;t know what they retail for, would these work in the rear deck? would they make a difference if just ran of stock bose amp? would i need to amp them seperatly? would they fit? also these are free air subs right, no box needed? Any opinoins would be helpful!!! Just trying to get more bass but not a crazy system!!

Thanks ANF6789
    Drexel Business '11

In Charge
    Originally posted by benzo23
    ..well as much as i am into my system...the 202 has a terrible set up for systems...first of all the seats dont even fold down...
    Depends on the car's options. Many have folding seats.

Originally posted by anf6789
    what about what i said about the hi/low converter problem? any info on that?
    The hi-lo is an interesting subject. If I recall correctly, Bose does not require it (Search Nakamich How-to). For my install, I did it without the converter, sounded like crap, then installed one. Fixed any issues. Honestly, if you plan on using the Bose amp, might as well use the converter.

Originally posted by anf6789
    OK OK just got another crazy idea. anyone ever heard the jl audi 6W0's they are small 6inch subs for 149 for 2 on ebay, don;t know what they retail for, would these work in the rear deck? would they make a difference if just ran of stock bose amp? would i need to amp them seperatly? would they fit? also these are free air subs right, no box needed? Any opinoins would be helpful!!! Just trying to get more bass but not a crazy system!!

Thanks ANF6789
    You could buy a rear deck mount that will allow you to put a 6.5 inch woofer in the deck. I have a set that I bought from another Member. I could find the link for you if you really need it.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

thanks alot denlasoul, also what i would like to know, is that the jl 6W0 have 75 watts rms each. is the bose alone enough to power these, what is the power rating for the bose subs and the amp channel for them? if anyone could answer these questions then denlasoul it would be cool if you could find that link whenever you get the time for it. Thanks alot.
    Drexel Business '11

In Charge
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

The Bose can only power itself and nothing else.

Simply "tap" a signal from the rear deck bose subs to your amp/sub of your're choice with hi/low converter and voila.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

wow how did i mis that thread, thanks denlasoul! why do they call the rear subs transducers? oh thanks benzonline--guess that scraps that plan, unless i amp them and put them where the phone speaker and the foam baffle are. hmmm,lol
    Drexel Business '11

"Transducer" is just another word for speaker pretty much.

Dont know if its possible in a 202 due to the rear deck but in the 210, some people added 2 more Bose subs (extra holes) to make 4 altogether for extra bass and it still worked from the existing amp. They said the sound was much more powerful in the end.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

yeah theres a 202 bose sub on ebay for 19bucks i might buy it.
    Drexel Business '11

woah woah woah....i dont see why you would want 2 6" subs...i hear this from my friends all the time whenever they get systems..."i want more bass"...2 sixes are definitly not going to be enough esp. since the 202 rear deck is that cheap fiber board material that rattles alot...i dont see why you dont get something that will satisfy your bass needs...my concept is.."bump when you need to and have classy bass when you want to be civilized"...i love the jl idea dont get me wrong...but get a system that is all around...and not 2 6"s in the rear deck...just my .02 agian...but do what you feel is necessary...cheers...G
    2009 - Bmw 335i M Sport Package
    2003- Ford Excursion Limited

Only drive when its bad outside - White
    1998 c230, 17\" amg 5 spoke, 5% tint, JL audio W3v2 12\", Memphis Class D 400w amp, dynamat, K&N, Clarion In-Dash DVD..

RIP- 1998 c230 Black

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=13733

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=15348

haha thanks for the input, it was just an idea. if i was going the 6inc route i waoud mount them to the steel sheet under neath and keep the bose there in place. dude i have no freakin idea what i want,so many options, infinity basslink too,lol i was just putting ideas out there maybe someone would pick up on them and say "hey thats a cool idea maybe ill do that".
    Drexel Business '11

Honestly I have the Infinity Basslink with my Bose and its reeeeeealy good. Its small, and the bass is clean and deep.

I suggest you get that plus its affordable and not cheap shit like Sony.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor