Thread: Rotor protection suggestions...

Rotor protection suggestions...

got a brand new set of drilled rotors from a close friend who was sitting on them for a long long while, he damn near gave them away to me...but i dont think they are coated like most rotors are nowaday, to prevent rust

Now can any1 suggest the best way to get them done...zinc, cadmium (sp?), powdercoat, high temp paint.....and or where to get it done
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

Coatings/paint may make the rotors look better, but as far as I know, nothing for their real longevity. Unless the car is rarely driven, the rotors will wear out long before corrosion becomes an issue.

Re: Rotor protection suggestions...

Originally posted by !!!!!NJ Drive
    got a brand new set of drilled rotors from a close friend who was sitting on them for a long long while, he damn near gave them away to me...but i dont think they are coated like most rotors are nowaday, to prevent rust

Now can any1 suggest the best way to get them done...zinc, cadmium (sp?), powdercoat, high temp paint.....and or where to get it done
    Most rotors aren't really coated to prevent rust. You can get Cadmium plated rotors, but as soon as the pads get a hold of the friction surface, it goes away. The rust stays off of that part by braking. However the cad plating keeps the rest of the rotor looking decent, but there is still a chance for corrosion.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

rollinrealbig
    you can use brake paint on the sides of the rotor, but the pad-contact zone, never need to worry about it as long as you drive your car periodically.

I have drilled rotors on the 203, as I wash the car a thin layer of rust covers the pad-contact area (shiny part LoL) then when I take it for a spin down the street (gets the water off of it for easy drying) the rust just rubs off.

The rainy weather has been amusing with all the fancy cars, wheels and brakes in the company lot. Every morning things look sharp and by lunch time there's a lot full of cars with rusty rotors It wouldn't be so bad if that rust dust didn't end up all over your wheels :/
    \'92 190E 2.6
    \'99 C43
    \'00 E430 Sport

yeah i know theres always a chance... but i'm mainly looking for prevention in the areas that the pads dont come contact with, & dont know which would be a best choice over the other
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

hmmm...it even a good idea to powdercoat rotors, will it mess with the integrity

rollinrealbig
    hmmm...it even a good idea to powdercoat rotors, will it mess with the integrity
    just use black engine enamel.

I don't see why it would mess with the integrity... the hardest part about powder coating would be keeping it off of the brake'sfriction surface.

There should be no need to worry about the heat. The powder coat baking process usually only needs about 300-400 degrees F.
    Braking alone can bring your rotor temperatures up to 800+ degrees F even with "spirited" driving!

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

OG Moderator
    i usually just tape off the pad contact surface and spray the hats with black high temp paint. 6 bucks.
    Got BRABUS?

rollinrealbig
    Originally posted by 714guy
    i usually just tape off the pad contact surface and spray the hats with black high temp paint. 6 bucks.
    exactly ... I dont really see a point in Powder coating when brake rotors are going to be replaced eventually.

doesnt Brembo make replacement rotors that are alreddy painted on the edges ?