Thread: Tranny Problem - won't go past third gear.

Tranny Problem - won't go past third gear.

So on my 97 c230, I got my tranny fluid changed a couple months back, and my car's been ok, a little rough in the morning, when I shift from park to reverse, but after it warms up it's fine. I have 100,000 miles on it now. this last week, starting up the car in the morning has been a b*tch, the transmission jerks (even though I shift slowly and carefully) when I go from Park to reverse, to neutral, and then to drive. I added a little bit more transmission fluid. In addition, my check engine light is on, I just got my engine tuned up, so I know that's not the problem. I've only gone on one test run (about a mile) and the car accelerates and runs fine, only up to third gear and then when the needle hits the redline it sputters and I know it wants to hit fourth, but the tranny won't budge, before I take this 202 to the dealer, does anybody have any home remedies?
    Stop, Drop, kaboom baby rub on your nipples, some call me Ludacris...some call me Mr. Wiggles

Sometimes i hit teh "manual" shift and sometimes it will shift. But when i had about 100k i had to have a tranny rebuild. Ummm, i cant say thats what you need but it could be a posiblity. Maybe you got teh wrong weight of trans fluid. Im not sure but that could be the problem.
    Good luck and i hope everthing works out without the rebuild.

I think you should read the codes first. Some times a bad working MAS shows tranny problems.

Rene
    \'00 C280
    \'99 ML320

Probably clogged the filter.

which filter, can you elaborate on the procedure and is this a job I can do at home or something that needs to be done at the stealership?
    Stop, Drop, kaboom baby rub on your nipples, some call me Ludacris...some call me Mr. Wiggles

He must be talking about the filter in the transmission. But, that is typically changed when A/T fluid in replaced.
    How did you're car shift prior to the A/T fluid change?
    Was this the first time the fluid had been changed?
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

yeah, this was the first time, when I talked to the mechanic, he never mentioned changing the filter, so I'm assuming that it was never R&R'd, is this a job that I can do at home? or am I going to need to take it to the shop?