Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vibrating steering wheel at 100km/h up

Sorry. You live in canada right? My bad homie. Its Discount Tire Company.. In US. That was probaly confusing. Haha. Yeah.. A wheel bearing would do that.. Not really a grinding sound. More of a humming.. kind of like what a marbel sounds like when you roll it across a table.. You know? (go get a marbel and try it)
    Also if the weel bearing is bad it could let the wheel flex side to side.. or up and down. A good way to figure it out yourself would be to jack up the front end of the car. Grab the tire as if you were going to hug it.. and shake it side to side.. You can check to see if any bushings are allowing accessive movement. If they aren't and it still moves it's probally a wheel bearing..

Keep in mind.. It is a german car. So when one thing breaks, it usually means something else broke as well. Haha. Just check out your whole front end.

Originally posted by Dubbin'
    Sorry. You live in canada right? My bad homie. Its Discount Tire Company.. In US. That was probaly confusing. Haha. Yeah.. A wheel bearing would do that.. Not really a grinding sound. More of a humming.. kind of like what a marbel sounds like when you roll it across a table.. You know? (go get a marbel and try it)
    Also if the weel bearing is bad it could let the wheel flex side to side.. or up and down. A good way to figure it out yourself would be to jack up the front end of the car. Grab the tire as if you were going to hug it.. and shake it side to side.. You can check to see if any bushings are allowing accessive movement. If they aren't and it still moves it's probally a wheel bearing..

Keep in mind.. It is a german car. So when one thing breaks, it usually means something else broke as well. Haha. Just check out your whole front end.
    YES. marbel rolling sound. that's the one.

Originally posted by benzfan
    On the 202, you will wear out 2 sets of lower ball joints foe every set of tie rod ends (at least). I would do lower ball joints (its a cheap DIY), and repack and readjust wheel bearings before blaming anything else on a 202 (assuming your wheel balance is good). Then, if it still vibrates, look further.
    AGREED!!!!!

try to adjust the wheel bearings before replacing them. take off the wheel and then the dust cap with a flathead. there is a 5mm allen bolt. losen that. then take some channel locks and tighten the u shaped locking device which the allen bolt goes in. give it a hard tug with the channel locks then back off slightly and then finally a small tug. then tighten the allen bolt. make sure to apply more grease in the dust cap and see if this solves your problem before spending alot of money and replacing part after part!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Dubbin'
    ...and shake it side to side.. You can check to see if any bushings are allowing accessive movement. If they aren't and it still moves it's probally a wheel bearing..
    When it gets to the point of noticable play, you wouldn't be unsure anymore. Symptoms of incorrect bearing adjustment or slight wear, before the roaring sound starts, include braking shake from highway speed, often blamed on discs or tie-rod ends. The roaring noise, which tends to increase when cornering in one direction more than in the other (assuming only one of the 2 bearings on one wheel is starting to go) is a serious warning of impending catastrophic failure, and it won't be pretty.
    \'05 C230k (the wife\'s car)
    \'09 smart (fun as heck)
    sold all my 202s

Originally posted by 1995c280
    AGREED!!!!!

try to adjust the wheel bearings before replacing them. take off the wheel and then the dust cap with a flathead. there is a 5mm allen bolt. losen that. then take some channel locks and tighten the u shaped locking device which the allen bolt goes in. give it a hard tug with the channel locks then back off slightly and then finally a small tug. then tighten the allen bolt. make sure to apply more grease in the dust cap and see if this solves your problem before spending alot of money and replacing part after part!

Jason
    I'll try this first this weekend or the next. and see what happens.

thanks.

By the way, I have another issue

occasionally, the passenger side rear floor carpet gets wet. anyone knows what's under the rear passenger side floor? When it happens, I just let the windows open and let it dry.

I just called "silverstar M-B" in montreal to find out how much a wheel bearing costs and they quoted me C$315 per. Is this what they usually charge in MB dealers in canada for wheelbearing?

I searched autopartswarehouse.com and it was U$50 and they even offered free shipping (within USA).

I'll definately check if it's the wheel bearing on the weekend and if it is, I'll have my bro in michigan order one for me.

every parts are so expensive in canada not to mention the cars themselves, compared to USA.

that is about what I was quoted by two non dealership repair place here.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by yonjun
    I just called "silverstar M-B" in montreal to find out how much a wheel bearing costs and they quoted me C$315 per. Is this what they usually charge in MB dealers in canada for wheelbearing?

I searched autopartswarehouse.com and it was U$50 and they even offered free shipping (within USA).

I'll definately check if it's the wheel bearing on the weekend and if it is, I'll have my bro in michigan order one for me.

every parts are so expensive in canada not to mention the cars themselves, compared to USA.
    No, they're quoting you for a whole new hub with pre-installed bearings. Ask them for the bearing service kit. It should be less than half that price.
    \'05 C230k (the wife\'s car)
    \'09 smart (fun as heck)
    sold all my 202s

my invoice just says replace bearing drivers side $300. The part was $60

Originally posted by sig425
    my invoice just says replace bearing drivers side $300. The part was $60
    what I quoted was the parts alone
    as benzfan said, it might be whole assembly not just the bearing.