Thread: Choosing car audio...

Choosing car audio...

i am looking at upgrading my audio setup soon.. and i've found more research = more confusion.. what power should i get this in and what brand is the best value for money etc etc etc.. anyways i just wanted to bounce ideas off people that'll know more than i do.

so far; want to replace my HU with Pioneer DEH-30MP. from their site it looks like this HU has 2x RCA pre-outs for amps and a built in crossover to send high freq to one pre-out and low freq to the other pre-out.. if someone could confirm this would be great..?

as for amp #1 i was going to go a Pioneer GM7200M mono for a subwoofer; if the HU has the crossover in it i will attach this amp to the LPF.

i haven't decided on amp #2, but probably a four channel amp to do tweeters and mid-range.

Haven't decided on subwoofer yet either, few questions with that one though.. how close do i need to match RMS power of the sub to the power of the amp? if the amp is 250w RMS and the sub is 300w RMS will this damage it by under powering? or 250w amp with 200w sub?
    also, i am looking at either MTX or JL Audio for the sub, will i get decent bass outta these brands?
    lastly.. the hardest question is should i get a 2-channel amp in case i want to add a second sub later or will one 12" sub work for me...?

and then something to tackle after i have solved the amp and sub issue and gotten them installed is what to do about the existing tweeters and mid-ranges...

I was too thinking about upgrading HU. I was thinking of the DEH-P9800BT cause I have a phone with bluetooth and thats the only bluetooth deck Pioneer has.. Is it anygood? Will the stock bose work with the deck?

Sorry zirophyz if im hi-jacking this thread.. But didnt want to start another thread if there is one similar to mine.
    1997 C280 Sport

i was about to install a sub but went with rims instead. I priced every thing out and $700 would get a Alpine type R sub (400 w RMS w/ 1,500 w peak) and interfire 2 channel 1,000 w amp. im not sure what exactly u want but for the money this does not seem like to bad a set up.
    Devon
    1999 C280 Sport
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2398710

I like that Pioneer head unit - did you buy it? The specs make me think that the audio SQ is sub-par though. I currently have the Bose system and would prefer to increase the overall sound quality, not take a step in the wrong direction. Interested in hearing your thoughts, if you've already installed...

no i dont have that unit but im looking into it. I have no knowledge in audio systems. I like that because I would like a bluetooth sytem for my next cell phone.
    1997 C280 Sport

Kenwood Excelon x590...

As far as those looking for the bluetooth headunits...I have it in my other car and I would say it's DEFINETELY not worth it. The lag, even though mine is voice activated, is unbearable. You constantly have to make sure the other guy is still on the line...and implementing such a system is a pain in the ass.

That said, I just got a new headunit for my '94 Mercedes c220.

I'm gonna make a thread about it so it doesn't get buried in a thread...When I was research I found that quite common...but here's some pics anyways