Thread: Paint Problems on 1997 C36

Paint Problems on 1997 C36

The paint on my '97 C36 is looking pretty tired, after ten years and 118k miles on the road. I was thinking about getting a new C350 Sport with the six-speed manual tranny, but I just can't bring myself to give up the AMG.

My car was recently in the body shop for a minor accident and the repaired section puts the rest of the car to shame. The manager of the shop said the old paint was showing evidence of a chemical reaction that can only happen from the factory. Does anyone know anything about this and if there was any kind of a recall for this problem? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best Regards,
    Rob
    Robert Fini
    \'97 C36AMG (117k miles)
    \'99 E320 4MATIC (75k miles)
    \'84 190E 2.3/5-speed (SCCA ProRally)

i doubt the factory would recall anything like that. espicially after so many years.
    the new c350 is a really nice car, and actually faster than the c36

[i]the new c350 is a really nice car, and actually faster than the c36 [/B]
    I'll believe that once one passes me.

c350

I had a c350 4matic for a week as a loaner, NICE car.........but listed for $45,000.........A c55 is not thatttttttttttttttt much more , the new body style is just around the bend though.....maybe then a trade in may be justified. Good luck with the paint issue!

The factory lists the 0-60 time for the C350 Sport with rear-wheel drive and six-speed manual transmission at 6.1 seconds, whereas my C36 is rated at 5.9 seconds, so I'd beat one if it came up next to me at a stop light (remember that my car is a 1997 and is faster than the '95 or '96, mostly due to the gearing change with the five-speed transmission plus slightly more engine power).

Going to MBUSA.com and configuring a C350 Sport with the options I want lists out at around $41k and my C36 is almost paid off (yes, I bought it on the ten-year plan). Be that as it may, the C350 will never be an AMG so I'd much rather keep the C36. The body shop wants $3,200 to prep and repaint the entire car, but if this is in fact a factory paint defect then I might be able to get MBUSA to cover some of that cost. I'll do a little more digging and let you know what I find.

Best Regards,
    Rob
    Robert Fini
    \'97 C36AMG (117k miles)
    \'99 E320 4MATIC (75k miles)
    \'84 190E 2.3/5-speed (SCCA ProRally)

i would go for the c350 just because its new...no problems associated with 10 year old cars.
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Going to MBUSA.com and configuring a C350 Sport with the options I want lists out at around $41k and my C36 is almost paid off (yes, I bought it on the ten-year plan). Be that as it may, the C350 will never be an AMG so I'd much rather keep the C36. The body shop wants $3,200 to prep and repaint the entire car, but if this is in fact a factory paint defect then I might be able to get MBUSA to cover some of that cost. I'll do a little more digging and let you know what I find.

Best Regards,
    Rob [/B][/QUOTE]

I doubt MB is going to do anything about it.

I would keep the C36 and get a new nice paint job for it. They are the rare breed.

Originally posted by Abuimad
    i would go for the c350 just because its new...no problems associated with 10 year old cars.
    Having a W202 AMG version which only handfull are built is prizeless compared to daily production W203!