Thread: Filling the Fuel Tank

OG Moderator

Filling the Fuel Tank

I did a search but didn't seem to come up with a definitive answer - what is the best strategy for filling up the fuel tank? My search of the archives here produced a thread that said you should not let the tank drop below 1/4 tank to ensure the fuel pump stays cool. I have seen other threads that indicated overfilling the tank is a serious no-no. So how do you fill the tank and get it full without causing problems??

With my Lexus, I always let it auto fill by itself until it shut off. It always shut off early due to back-pressure or whatever, so I gave it one more shot until it clicked off.

With an MB, should you set the handle on the lowest/slowest filling auto click and just let it fills slowly until the first click-off? Sometimes this doesn't even get you close to a full tank.

I would like to get the tank consistently full so that I can have a somewhat accurate way to calculate the fuel mileage from tank to tank.

Thanks,
    Doug
    1999 C230 Kompressor

For my tank, I cant stick the whole nossel in there because it clicks at half a tank, so I insert it to the point where the spring on the tube starts and then squeeze the handle. I fill it up just before the fuel needle touches the orange part with 10-12 gallons.

Ive put as much as 17.017 gal in my 16.4 gallon tank. It was below empty and above full when i was done. Oops!

I let my tank to go almost empty before each refill and it hasnt created any problems so far... Truth is Im a little worried now with all that about the fuel pump, is it true? And yes, I tend to overfill it each time, my dad used to do it as well since the begining as I can recall, when the car was his, that is.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

i tend to never let my tank go below the 1/4 mark...not because of any fuel pumps, but because the gasoline here is dirty...and the last quarter is pretty much dirt, so to avoid troubles i fill her up, and i use the octane or the fuel system cleaner most the time
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

I have to stick the nozzle in to right where the spring contacts the outer ring and then use the 2nd setting to fill it or it will shut off after a matter of seconds. I caused a cylinder misfire once filling it up with clicks. I put too much air in the tank or something. At least that's what the dealer told me.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

lol i always thought my car was fucked up because the gas wouldn't fill up all the way...lol.

like it was in a wreck and it wasn't pressurizing properly. Never brought it up because i didn't want to feel like i bought a fucked up car.

anyhow, i usually drain it all the way down and fill it up as much as i can. I know you aren't supposed to drain the tank very low because of the gasoline sediments but seriously, there are a ton of things we shouldn't do that we constantly do.

but every little precaution can help....
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

Originally posted by rman
    lol i always thought my car was fucked up because the gas wouldn't fill up all the way...lol.

like it was in a wreck and it wasn't pressurizing properly. Never brought it up because i didn't want to feel like i bought a fucked up car.

u are funny Rman.. maybe you need to cut back on the blunts!