Thread: Transmission Problem 1999 C230K

Transmission Problem 1999 C230K

i did a search and found similar, but not someone with the same exact problem as mine. just thought id throw this out there in case i missed it or someone went through this and can help me out.

so heres the deal.. my car basically wont go beyond 3rd gear. when in D, 1st 2nd and 3rd are fine, but once 4th hits, it will just rev up. if i put my car in 3, it drives fine, although sometimes it seems to get caught in 3rd gear. even when i come to a complete stop then go again, it will go as if im starting off in 3rd gear (really slow). ive automatically assumed that i need a new tranny, but maybe it could be something else?

ive already done research regarding my transmission situation. heres what ive found..
    1. $1400 for rebuilding current transmission (6 month warranty)
    2. $1100(+swap for my old) for a used transmission from the LPD junkyard (3 month warranty).

i have yet to find how much labor is on swapping out a tranny if i bought a used one. friends told me it would be $300-400 but im guessing it would be more since its a mercedes. i think i am fortunate to live in LA where i am only a few minutes drive away from good junkyard sources and loads of independent mechanics. i was reading some of you other guys posts about tranny problems and what ive researched is much less than what you guys have posted. what would you guys recommend as far as replacing/rebuilding? rebuild my current transmission or swap out for a used?

You didnt mention one thing about the tranny fluid.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

i changed the tranny fluid AFTER it started messing up thinking it would fix it. the mechanic said it was BLACK. my car has 127,000 miles.

no one can give me a heads up of whats better? rebuild the current tranny or swap out for a used?

In Charge
    I'd rebuild. With the swap, you are not sure if that tranny is on its way out.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    I'd rebuild. With the swap, you are not sure if that tranny is on its way out.
    that's what i did, and i can recommend an excellent shop in costa mesa. i had them build it much stronger than stock because of the pulley kit/raise in boost and nitrous.

zero problems since, but you get what you pay for!

how much did you pay?

A rebuilt transmission is the way to go . You would be taking a huge risk on a used transmission. One important thing to bear in mind is warranty and most rebuilder's if not all provide a 12 month/ 12, 000 mile warranty. Good luck

i had tranny problems too where it wouldnt shift down at all...my mechanic tried swapping the electric kit first for like 500 bux and it worked. he was saying tho that if the electric kit didnt work he would have to rebuild or just swap it out.

Originally posted by ryhi
    how much did you pay?
    my rebuild was around $2,800 start to finish, pulled and installed.

Originally posted by kyo216
    i had tranny problems too where it wouldnt shift down at all...my mechanic tried swapping the electric kit first for like 500 bux and it worked. he was saying tho that if the electric kit didnt work he would have to rebuild or just swap it out.
    can you explain more about this electric kit? what year and model 202 do you have? i am planning on getting my transmission fixed and selling the car right after. i do not want to deal with this problem again. plus my car is getting pretty old at 129,000 miles.

i drive a 1997 c280. to be honest im not exactly sure what it is. its a black rectangle with circuits on it. he showed me my old one and the circuits were fried. i think its a pain in the ass to do because they told me it would take all day and i was the only car they had.

you can try going to him. its in temple city near the corner of baldwin and las tunas if youre still in san gabriel. its called ming star.

is this the one across the street from mcdonalds?

yup it is. youve been there?