Thread: GAS octane!

GAS octane!

ive been using 91 octane for years in my 98 c230...lately its been a little slugish, i cleaned my MAS, and replaced the filter...i really want to test out using higher octane gas such as like 98 octane...and thoughts about using this?...i dont want my shit to blow up or anything...any thoughts would be great!..G
    2009 - Bmw 335i M Sport Package
    2003- Ford Excursion Limited

Only drive when its bad outside - White
    1998 c230, 17\" amg 5 spoke, 5% tint, JL audio W3v2 12\", Memphis Class D 400w amp, dynamat, K&N, Clarion In-Dash DVD..

RIP- 1998 c230 Black

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=13733

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=15348

when is the last time you had a tune up....plugs etc?
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

Running over the recommended octane has absolutely zero benefits except to make your wallet lighter. Your car needs 91 octane to perform at its optimum level. If you notice a change in performance, and your octane hasn't changed, logic would say it's not octane-related. Chances are, like the previous poster stated, it's either plugs, MAS, fuel filter, or air filter. New plugs and both filters might run you a grand total of $60 online. Also, it's hot as hell in most of the country, and the heat saps my power. Unless you have a V8, performance will be noticeably worse when it's 100 outside as opposed to 85.

hey, well i changed my plugs actually about 3-4 months agp...got the boschplatinum+4, and i guess it has to be the heat then...i do live in south florida, and i believe the heat index today was around 105...i guess ill just wait till it gets cooler out to be messing with that type of stuff...

1998 c230, 17\" amg 5 spoke, 5% tint, JL audio W3v2 12\", Memphis Class D 400w amp, dynamat, K&N, Clarion In-Dash DVD..

RIP- 1998 c230 Black

Use seafoam to clean out your entire fuel system, 10 times stronger than normal fuel injector cleaners.

Also use Toluene, not race gas. One tank of toluene will help alot. In theory its not supposed to make a difference but in reality it really does. TRUE octane (aka toluene) is unreal. Normal octant boosters over the counter at autozone or pepboys are total scams don't buy them.

Toluene is about $10-13 per gallon but you only need about one per every half tank full. Its 114 octane race gas. You can get them buy the gallon at any local sherman williams or hardware store.

i used to run my M3 on it when I was in AZ b/c they only have 91 octane but my car could take 93 octane (which most can on stock tune). w/ it was night and day difference.

The reason toluene works is b/c it allows the ECU to run at 100%. Normally under daily driving most of our ECUs are running at about 85-95% based on quality of gas and other factors. Toulene makes sure you run at 100% all the time so your ECU does not retard timing to compensate for the low quality and high variance in gas quality. Anything else other than toluene... waste of $$

so basicly you want me to put in 2 gallons of this 114 race gas into my 2.3 n/a 4 banger?...wont that burn wayyyyyy too slow if at all...ive heard of the sea foam, but have also heard that it can hurt your engine...so i dont know what to do..i can understand the theory of putting in higher octane can be a waste of $...but i was just to get my car on fumes then put like 20$ of say 98 in there and see if there was a difference..but 114?...thats like nascar isant it?..

RIP- 1998 c230 Black

Your car is not designed for platinums if I am correct. My 97 c230 calls for standard Bosch copper. Check your manual or call the MB service dept. People who have tried platinums in cars requiring copper have had NUMEROUS performance problems. Get those things out ASAP and stop buying the marketing hype. Run your car as it was supposed to be run, no platinum plugs, no 98 octance, just MAINTENENCE, and you will achieve the best performance.

160k on mine, all maintenence done ahead of schedule, only TRUE MB parts purchased 1/2 price online, runs as well as it did at 60k.

Originally posted by benzo23
    so basicly you want me to put in 2 gallons of this 114 race gas into my 2.3 n/a 4 banger?...wont that burn wayyyyyy too slow if at all...ive heard of the sea foam, but have also heard that it can hurt your engine...so i dont know what to do..i can understand the theory of putting in higher octane can be a waste of $...but i was just to get my car on fumes then put like 20$ of say 98 in there and see if there was a difference..but 114?...thats like nascar isant it?..

Sea foam will not hurt your engine when you pour it into your gas tank, its just like any fuel injector cleaner except this cleans out the ENTIRE fuel system and its much more concentrated.

You don't just run on pure toluene, you run a mix, b/c its such high octane two gallons in a full tank (or even one) will make a big boost. 1 gallon per half tank will raise your octane a full 3 NUMBERS aka 91 to 94, 93 to 96. thats all the octane you will ever need. You will notice your engine has never run so smooth ever.

Originally posted by Will_w202
    Your car is not designed for platinums if I am correct. My 97 c230 calls for standard Bosch copper. Check your manual or call the MB service dept. People who have tried platinums in cars requiring copper have had NUMEROUS performance problems. Get those things out ASAP and stop buying the marketing hype. Run your car as it was supposed to be run, no platinum plugs, no 98 octance, just MAINTENENCE, and you will achieve the best performance.

160k on mine, all maintenence done ahead of schedule, only TRUE MB parts purchased 1/2 price online, runs as well as it did at 60k.

I agree 100%, the S50/M50 bmw 6cyls were the same way the best plugs were bosch super coppers. Don't buy into the marketing bull crap like platinum and iridium. Supercopers are better in older engines b/c thats what they were designed with. I always run coppers they perform the best in older engines

Well im gonna tell you FROM EXPERINCE, most racing fuel is leaded, which will clogs up your O2 sensors and cats. I ran 110 Octane (leaded) in my c230k which some odd reason gave me 8psi at 115mph and i never put it in again. Didn't really give you a streetable notice. Waste of cash, then i went and got some 106 Unleaded gas from VP racing just to try it out with Nitrous, It ran veryyyyyyy good. I was pushing about 10psi's. The ecu is very weird, it programs itself for watever fuel you put in there. But higher octane is a waste unless your shit is modded out and needs the octane to be higher to prevent a big d
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

Originally posted by Cru328prod
    Well im gonna tell you FROM EXPERINCE, most racing fuel is leaded, which will clogs up your O2 sensors and cats. I ran 110 Octane (leaded) in my c230k which some odd reason gave me 8psi at 115mph and i never put it in again. Didn't really give you a streetable notice. Waste of cash, then i went and got some 106 Unleaded gas from VP racing just to try it out with Nitrous, It ran veryyyyyyy good. I was pushing about 10psi's. The ecu is very weird, it programs itself for watever fuel you put in there. But higher octane is a waste unless your shit is modded out and needs the octane to be higher to prevent a big d
    never ever ever ever use leaded, Thats why Toluene is the best solution, does not contain lead. Its the same exact gas that F1 uses.

I just don't wanna sound like an ass.. however why do you want to play with the gas octane of your car when it is not recommended.. ha?

yea i know i was just ducking around with it
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao