Thread: which water pump for 97 c280

which water pump for 97 c280

Ok I just got a 97C280, great car but the belt tensioner has a slight rattle, so I want to replace it, the water pump, and belt since I dont know when it was last done, and ive seen where you need to know your engine number, how do I find this? Also where is the cabin filter? so I cant change that as well!

Josh

Well, the belt on these drives the accessories, and there is a separate timing chain......unlike many cars (VW) where the timing BELT also drives the water pump and accessories, and it's easier just to pull the water pump while you're doing the timing belt, and also as preventive measure....etc.

I guess the question is, do you have a coolant leak? If not, just pop a new belt and tensioner pulley on and roll with it. The pulleys can break and cause quite a bit of collateral damage in the engine bay, so good idea replacing it.

no coolant leak, just what you said, preventive maintainance, car has 96k on the clock and it sucks when water pumps just, crap out on ya so i like to prevent those kinds of things from happening, but where to find this number so i get the right one, being i see there are two differant pumps and tensioners for the 97

And the Dust Filter is under the pass side of the dash. Just drop the underdash panel, it's held up by 2 or 3 phillips screws, then there is an access panel that's it's behind there.

Eric

thanks for the tip on the location,,,,where do i get a new one, guess i should have asked that one earlier!

http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/

Been buying from Phil for years now

Perhaps just fix the rattle, change the serpentine bet...and enjoy your car!

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ht=ring+rattle