Thread: Trunk won't open!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Trunk problems

Originally posted by tracyc
    I have fold down back seat and luckely one the passanger rear seat wasn't engaged so I can access my trunk through there if need be. <snip> What's this stationary latch on the trunk inside?
    Checking the M-B WIS documents, what I called the stationary latch is actually called the Striker Eye, and is the stationary part that the trunk lid latch mechanism (sometimes called the Actuator) latches/hooks onto.

It looks like if you remove the two 'Striker Eye Screws' holding down the Striker Eye, the lid will open (taking the unfastened Striker Eye with it) even though the lid latch mechanism is still clamped onto the Striker Eye.
    Here's a link to a photo taken from inside a trunk after folding down a rear seat.
    http://kropf.net/w202/TrunkLatch.jpg
    1) Gently pry out the two clips (2026930227 you can see one of which is leaning up on the right hand side of the photo).
    2) Have someone hold down the trunk lid while you remove the two bolts/screws now exposed.
    3) Lift the lid carefully in case the now unfastened Striker Eye wants to drop loose so that it doesn't fall onto your bumper or onto the ground.
    4) With the trunk open, you can fix the problem.

When reattaching the Striker Eye, pay close attention to the bolt head marks so that you mount it in the same exact location as it was, else you'll have to realign it again. However, if you change your lid mounted latch/actuator, you may have to realign the Striker Eye anyway.
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

A good locksmith store should be able to cut a blank key, transfer the electronic parts over, and re-program if needed.And Locksmith boca raton FL are potential option for any type of locksmithing problems.