Thread: rust on 98 update 202

rust on 98 update 202

its starting to get signs of rust on the underside of the bonnet and the wheel arches

any tips or help apriciated thanks...
    remeber guys in in the uk and we dotn get the same products lol

thanks

Re: rust on 98 update 202

Originally posted by Section 8
    its starting to get signs of rust on the underside of the bonnet and the wheel arches

any tips or help apriciated thanks...
    remeber guys in in the uk and we dotn get the same products lol

thanks
    Try Fisholin ! It work when I lived In the UK !

wow rust? it doesnt snow in the UK yea? how on earth would rust happen?!

my car was bought brand new back in 95, and it has no rust at all!
    1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust

Originally posted by yusuke280
    wow rust? it doesnt snow in the UK yea? how on earth would rust happen?!

my car was bought brand new back in 95, and it has no rust at all!
    #

what are u saying??

i have two 202s and one rusts one dont.............thanks for the help

thanks Fred for the tip

My pleasure; Allways willing to help another Pom

OG Moderator
    The damp UK weather can really accelerate rust once metal somehow gets bare/unprotected. Make sure you check and then monitor the spring perches at the top of each spring. These are becoming a problem area for rusting out with many Mercedes.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    from what I know.. from about 1997 maybe 1996 to 2001 mercedes had quality issues with the metal protection during painting from the factory.. soooooo, that is why you will and hear about mercedes cars from those years with rust popping up. anything before 1997 was pretty clean and free of rust.. and now most cars after 2002 are pretty clear of rust as well.
    I myself had rust issues on my 1999.. it sucks. got them repaired though.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

The key is to rustproof the car for $100 once a year. Prevents rust big time.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Well here in sweden we have massive rust-problem.
    Actually it´s mostly the W/S210 that is affected. 9 out of 10 cars have rust in the door-arches, under the rubberseal.
    Here in sweden they love to throw out tons of salt in the winter, wich acclerates the rust process.

Rustproofing dont help at all. The problem is that MB´s tools for pressing the sheetmetal into doorframes was in bad shape between 1996 to 2001, so the edges of the doorframes got very sharp. This in combination with no galvanisation of the outerparts of the body (to improves the paint´s attachment) and waterbased colors that suffers from microscopic cracks, lets the moist, sltsprayed air get in contact with bare metal.
    Rustproofing only coats the inside of the body.

Not even Mercedes 30 Years rustproof warranty means a shit. They specified that it has to be rusted through the metal and from the inside and out.

Instead mercedes fixes this on goodwill, on their on conditions, wich includes that the cars must not be older then 7 years (so much for those 30 years rust warranty) and it must have been serviced by the servicebook at an authorized Mercedes shop.

I have heard of people that have had their car fixed for up to 15,000 USD, all paid by Mercedes. New doors, new hood, new trunk and new fenders.

Completly insane.
    2004 E200T Kompressor 359 tansanitblau
    1996 C230 Kompressor 189 Smaragdschwarz
    1992 300TE-24 249 Mallachit
    1987 190E 702 Rauchsilber
    1984 190 568 Signalrot