Thread: Coil ends dry?

Coil ends dry?

So, I got my car scanned and it turns out I have misfires on a couple of cylinders.
    P0303
    P0304
    P0306

I took out the coils from cylinder 2, 4, and 6. The coil-ends from cylinder 2 & 4 had oil on them but the coil ends from cylinder 6 was bone dry. Is this normal?

Anyone change out their sparkplugs and experience this before? Any help would be appreciated.
    1995 C280

No its not normal. Change your valve cover gasket.
    1993 ZX6E
    1996 C36
    1972 240Z
    1993 Bayliner 1750

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

Head gaskets were changed couple of months ago.
    1995 C280

There are seals under the valve cover for the tubes, most likely one is leaking or missing from when the head gaskets were done.
    1993 ZX6E
    1996 C36
    1972 240Z
    1993 Bayliner 1750

OG Moderator
    its normal for them to be dry!!

id say replace the valve cover gasket and the rubber seals around the spark plug holes in the valve cover. then get looking at the misfire.. unless maybe the oil is wetting the supressors/plugs and causing your misfire.

when were spark plugs replaced?

i cant remember off hand, but are there only 3 coils for that motor and then wires with supressors run to the other 3 cylinders(M104 engine)? check the wires too.

you can swap supressors around and see if the misfire moves. or you can just replace the supressors and see what comes back. may end up needing a coil. but id start with the supressors. they tend to be the first to fail.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

>>>when were spark plugs replaced?<<<

They were replaced around 8k-10k miles ago.

>>>i cant remember off hand, but are there only 3 coils for that motor and then wires with supressors run to the other 3 cylinders(M104 engine)? check the wires too.<<<<

Yes, you are right about the coils. I just ordered a coil, 3 coil-ends and a valve cover gasket set from autohausaz. The coil-end in cylinder 6 was cracked, so I'm thinking this is the problem with this cylinder. I'm going to replace the coil that is responsible for cylinders 3 & 4. We'll see how it goes

NISMO,
    Do you have instructions on how to change the valve cover gasket? How long would it take to replace it?

Maybe that's why I have to add oil every thousand miles?
    1995 C280

Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
    No its not normal. Change your valve cover gasket.

What about the valve stem seals? You think this needs to be replaced as well?
    1995 C280

Originally posted by junklar
    Maybe that's why I have to add oil every thousand miles? [/B]
    How much oil are you adding every 1000 miles? Mercedes spec is approx 1qt/1000mi. Anything more than that is evidence of a problem.

Check your coolant to make sure there's no oil or oily residue in it. If there is, that's a telltale sign of a bad head gasket, and would definitely require more oil to be added on a regular basis.
    1994 Silver C280

Valve stem seals are compleatly differn't. In order to change the gaskets you need to remove the crossover pipe,coil cover,coils and wires. Then undo all the bolts and remove cover. Make sure all the seals for the plugs come off the engine they can stick. You might find it easier to glue the seals ang gaskets to the valve cover before you put it on, they can fall out when you turn it to install it. If you are mechanical it will be less than on hour. If you dont do these things often plan on 2.
    1993 ZX6E
    1996 C36
    1972 240Z
    1993 Bayliner 1750

Originally posted by NISMOPOWERED
    Valve stem seals are compleatly differn't. In order to change the gaskets you need to remove the crossover pipe,coil cover,coils and wires. Then undo all the bolts and remove cover. Make sure all the seals for the plugs come off the engine they can stick. You might find it easier to glue the seals ang gaskets to the valve cover before you put it on, they can fall out when you turn it to install it. If you are mechanical it will be less than on hour. If you dont do these things often plan on 2.
    Thanks NISMOPOWERED. Is there a special kind of glue that is used? Also, when tightening the cover's bolts back on, is a torque wrench necessary?
    1995 C280

No you dont need a torque wrench. Just go inside to outside in 2 passes. Hitack or any silicone product type stuff. Permatex grey or black. Just use enough in the grooves on the valve cover so when you push the gaskets into the gooves and let it sit on hour or so it will hold the gaskets in when you put it back on.
    1993 ZX6E
    1996 C36
    1972 240Z
    1993 Bayliner 1750

Just to follow up..

I replaced the coils, coil-ends and the gaskets.. It took me about 3 hours.. I test drove the car and it drives like a champ..

its got its power back!!!!

Thanks guys..
    1995 C280