Thread: Climate Control Rest Function not Working.

Climate Control Rest Function not Working.

My rest fuction isn't working anymore. It turns on, the fan turns, but it doesn't heat the car anymore regardless of the heat setting.

The background on the unit is as follows:
    1) I've had problems with the display on the unit. The back light doesn't seem to want to always stay on anymore.
    2) I've had problems with display shorting. The numbers will appear partially colored in almost like a digital watch that's batteries are running low.

Both of these problems are gennerally fixed by just tapping on the face of the unit.

I have had numerous electrical problems with the car.

Do you think that a new climate unit will solve these issues? What do you think would cause the rest function not to heat the car any longer?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Climate Control Rest Function not Working.

Originally posted by BBad199
    My rest fuction isn't working anymore. It turns on, the fan turns, but it doesn't heat the car anymore regardless of the heat setting.

The background on the unit is as follows:
    1) I've had problems with the display on the unit. The back light doesn't seem to want to always stay on anymore.
    2) I've had problems with display shorting. The numbers will appear partially colored in almost like a digital watch that's batteries are running low.

Both of these problems are gennerally fixed by just tapping on the face of the unit.

I have had numerous electrical problems with the car.

Do you think that a new climate unit will solve these issues? What do you think would cause the rest function not to heat the car any longer?

Thanks in advance.
    I have a used climate control unit you can try. The rest worked fine the last time I used it.

OG Moderator
    And you are able to get heat normally right before you try this while the engine is running, correct? If the fan is blowing, you have had the heat on enough to get heat while the engine is running (you can't expect heat if you weren't getting it before you turned the car off) and you don't get heat, I would start at the little aux. water pump for the REST system. It could be bad or it could just not be getting power (control unit or bad wiring). The control unit is at least responding to some degree since the fan is kicking on.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

OCKlasse
    I'm in Chicago. I'm willing to entertain the possibility of a new unit depending on the cost. Since everything else seems to still operate, I'm less inclined than if normal heating operations didn't work.

I do get heat normally, xvvz. Additionally, I would say that the thermostat is accurate when the car is on as well. Could you explain the little aux. water pump for the Rest system?

I'm curious what would cause heat not to enter the car when the fan is working and the engine is still hot. I don't know the electrical and mechanical workings of the system.

Thanks again for your help.

OG Moderator
    There is a secondary water pump that runs off the battery which when the engine is turned off pumps water from hot engine through the heater core. That is how you continue to get heat for up to 30 minutes. If no new warm water enters the heater core, it quickly cools due to the fan forcing cold air across it and thus you don't get any heat.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Are you sure its not working i use it in the winter here but it does take a while for it to heat the car and the fan is turning very very slow so it will take some time
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Thanks for your help xvvz.

Nelson, I know how it used to work, and I know how it works now =) Its not working.

The pump sounds like it might be the issue. I going to experiment a little. I'll get back to the board in a bit with some answers or questions!