Thread: The power window ghost. ???

The power window ghost. ???

Ok so before I left for my trip I got into my car and went to roll the windows down and all went down except the passenger side. I treid a few times (one touch and non-one touch ways) and nothing. (checked fuses also) we I was leaving so I went on my trip got home gt in tried the windows again and now the driver AND passenger dont work Bater issue possibly? any suggestions? thanks guys! (rear ones work fine)
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

bump.....
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

OG Moderator
    Have you recently had loss of battery power? If so, you need to resynchronize your windows (procedure in your manual). Also, there have been some recent threads on the front windows not operating correctly when the control module in one of the back windows goes bad (yet the back windows will often still work fine). One of the drawbacks of having everything connected via the CANbus or whatever it is. This seems to be a common problem with many 202's as they age. Those are just two of a number of possible issues though.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Same thin happend to my front windows. I took the car to the Dealer y told me that a need to change the 2 front modules.

An hour after i step out the dealer, windows started to work with no problem.

:ermm:

Any one have a answare to this or a way to troubleshoot it with out spending hundred of $$?
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

I still have this issue..... lol.... mech brief checked it out when doing other work and couldnt figured it out.... he said would take alot of diagnosing.... =(
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

Switches maybe?

1SIKBNZ,

xvvvz suggested that you resynchronize your windows in accordance with the instructions detailed in the Owners Manual...

Have you tried that yet?

TRIED....=( the mech tried as well... its almost ike a gremlin..lol.... and my lock unlock from the remote will sometimes do the same.. work for awhile and then stop then will wake up one morn and work again...aggravating... =(
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

OK, I took a look at the wiring diagram for the power windows. I am not super good at electrics...but...

There is a CF Control Module and a ESA Relay Module which are located in the right rear side of the trunk. The electrical signal generated by the window switches are all routed through these two modules.

I would suggest re-seating the modules as a first go. Switch them visa versa if they are interchangeable (I think they are). And lastly, if nothing improves, buy two new modules.

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...uct=0015427819

. and my lock unlock from the remote will sometimes do the same..
    Are you still talking about power window operation?

PS. Sack your mechanic!

Is I mention before, i have the same problem. I have notice that once the ghost is gone and the windows work, right after they go bad again the lock & unlock mechanism fails for a sec. After the door is unlock the ghost appears and the windows do not work.
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

OK, that puts a new light on the matter.

An additional function of the central locking system is to open or close the windows and sliding roof. To activate this feature, you must press the lock or unlock on the remote key for greater than 1 second...and be close enough for the infrared signal to be sensed by the IR sensor(s).

According to the online owners manual, two signals are generated when the remote key is pressed; an electronic signal to lock/unlock the car and an infra red signal for the window feature (after a delay of 1 second).

Try locking and unlocking the car by pressing the remote button for LESS than 1 second and see if the ghost is still present.

I tested you suggestion and i get the same result, ghost still present.

Cosmo - Sneakers

adelaros,

If I understand your problem, sometimes the front two windows work and sometimes they don't work? I assume that you mean that the individual window switches don't work as well?

This would point to a faulty front power window circuit and might be either a bad fuse or a bad relay module.

If the window function only is a problem with the remote key (and the window switches operate normally), then I would suspect that a central locking system malfunction is the cause.

Can you explain in more detail what problems you encounter?

The windows ( only the front ones) sometimes work and sometimes do not work.

This is true while using the key/remote or the switches.

Cosmo - Sneakers

NOW.... last night I went to my car.. lock unlock unworking (usually use blade key to unlock... unlockked car and alarm stayed armed.... alram went off and even inserting key and starinting car alarm continued... =( Finally went to trunk and unlocked trunk with blade key and it went off... I pulled the alrm fuse in trunk for now =(
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

adelaros,

OK I think your problem with the front power windows is limited to the front window circuit.

Perhaps try the following:

There is a CF Control Module and a ESA Relay Module which are located in the right rear side of the trunk. The electrical signal generated by the window switches are all routed through these two modules.

I would suggest re-seating the modules as a first go. Switch them visa versa if they are interchangeable (I think they are). And lastly, if nothing improves, buy one new module.

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...uct=0015427819

The white coloured modules are shown at the right top of picture:

1SIKBNZ,

If I understand your problem(s), they are:

1. Front power window circuit sometimes operates OK and sometimes not OK. See my previous suggestion to you for possible fix.

2. Central locking system works OK (doors and trunk lock and unlock on command).

3. Anti-theft system works OK (engine immobilizer works).

4. Alarm system malfunctions sometimes (stays armed - then activates when car is unlocked with remote).

5. When alarm fuse is pulled, the alarm is disabled without affecting other systems.

I would recommend that you fix the front power window circuit and leave the alarm system permanently disabled.

Buy theft insurance. It will likely be a lot cheaper than fixing the alarm. You might even get lucky and some sucker steals your car!

Update ---

Last week the ghost started to spread towards the central locking system.

So y decided to change ESA Relay Module , but it did not work.

After this , I started to fiddle with the fuse box. I went to the local hardware store and purchase son contact clearner.

I proceeded to clean each fuse and each fuse slot with the contact cleaner.

I am glad to report that the ghost has gone ( at least for last last 3 days).

Cosmo - Sneakers

Perhaps indicates intermittent power supply via the fuse and fuse box?

Great feedback adelaros...many thanks!

when cleaning the fuse and fuse slots what did you use? qtip etc etc? thanks! gunna give it a shot!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

Just spray directly in to the fuse box after removing the fuses. Make sure to remember were all the fuses go. Take a pic with your cell phone.

Cosmo - Sneakers

just spray it alll over in the box and that does the trick? you dont need to "clean/scrub"?
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

This type of spray will dissolve any gunk from the metallic contacts.

Cosmo - Sneakers