Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard starts prob

hard starts are back and with a vengeance! I just dumped two bottles of dry gas in ( i shud have tried this initially) hoping to get wutever water in the lines out, maybe my lines are freezing? after that tank finishes i will run some seafoam, ill post if any changes...
    1994 c280 in the making....

More problems from that damned six-banger! I think three-
    quarters of the complaints on this board are with the
    C280! Thank my stars I have the C220. Have never
    had any problems with it.

OG Moderator
    a few ideas for you..
    -have you tried connecting a battery charger or a booster pack while cranking?
    -have you checked to see if you have a good spark.. removed a spark plug wire and grounded out the electrode on the wire to see how good the spark is?
    -have you tried connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the shradder valve on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure while cranking?
    -have you check the overvoltage protection relay, or replaced it? (someone with an older M104 please chime in, I cant remember if the early C280's had one)?

hopefully one of these ideas will help you out.
    let us know any other info you can offer about the issue.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

i just changed coolant temp sensor and no change. i went to walmart and bought a battery tester. tested the battery right after trip and my voltage read 12.2. from what i read this is somewhat low. i then tested the alternator (charging system) and the charging is fine. I didnt have anything else running (lights, radio, etc). im going to let the car sit for a few hours and then check again, since that is when i normally encounter hard starting. I am interested to see if i really jus have a weak battery. would this cause my hard starts? theoretically the car may start better after i drive (when hot) becuase its fresh from being charged via the alternator, and that once the cold air has a chance to affect it (after sitting for a few hours) the voltage drops. does this make sense? again i will test in a few and in the meantime anybody know of any good batteries? , i wud appreciate any chiming in....

Maybe one or more of your fuel injectors are bad. Someone on the forum had resolved their hard-start issue by changing the fuel injectors.

The hard starts on my car happen only on cold starts. If I turn the car off and back on again, it will start right up. I don't find it a big problem. I'm pretty sure one of my injectors is bad.
    1995 C280

that is a possibilty but is ther anyway to check to kno for certain what the hell is wrong? so far i have changed: maf sensor; coolant temp sensor, ignition wires, all 3 ignition coils,dry water treatment, seafoam treatment, fuel filter, battery test (battery is good). i guess my next direction is to test fuel pressure. i will check in sooner or later with an update.

i tested fuel pressure today. fuel pressure is good. i tested it both cold and warm and the pressure was good a little over 50 psi. the quest continues.....

anybody have facebook here? i posted a video on my account displaying my starting woes, dont kno how to post videos here. pm for name and ill add ya

Originally posted by OzC36
    Hmmm, I am only guessing now but it does sound like lean mixture. Fuel system malfunction...low fuel pressure (fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator), fuel injectors leaking or restricted flow through fuel injectors? The following may be of some help:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us60324.htm

http://www.autohausaz.com/mercedes-a...uel-pumps.html
    Dirty/leaking Fuel Injectors giving restricted or poor spray pattern?

retricted flow would at least show up on the pressure gauge no? pressure was normal wen i tested it. just changed plugs and repositioned air meter boot(it olooked a bit cocked before). but still no change. i think engine temp sensor is next (the one that plugs into the intake boot) cuz the one in there was all oiled up and gunky. i am exhausting all my options here lol.

you would have to remove the injectors from the fuel rail, and see if the injectors are leaking any fuel by turning the key in the ignition to position 2.
    1995 C280

Troubleshooting Fuel Injectors:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us80414.htm

im really hating this car now. had the brakes flushed and alignment done, tech said i need 4 eccentric bolts for the front end becuz my camber is out of whack. they also said i was missing a bolt for my right rear control arm. why i do not know. they put a bolt on and then telll me that soomething on the right rear is bent becuz my toe tracks out. they dont think it is the control arm but say that they have to start measuring stuff and that its going to be expensive. it was already at 710 for the flush/ alignment with bolts. i told them to jus skip the front end bolts now. i want to kill myself (figuratively speaking). i have sunk way too much into this old piece of shit. i want to drive it back into the hell it came from.

A complete set of rear suspension arms is very cheap on Ebay ($161):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...parms=72%3A543|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Eccentric bolts are only $10 each:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ews,%20Washers

oz that is semi good news, they also called me back saying it looks like the rear control arm is bent. so i would need a rear control arm too. 190 for the control arm installed 480 for the 4 bolts and alignment. im figuring buying the bolts as you say and paying an indy to install and align them. i told him not to do shit. hes charging me for an alignment and flush and a bolt for the bent rear control arm 300 bucks. i haave to be honest also and say that i might just get rid of the car. not including what i have paid for the car, i have put nearly 10 thousand in parts, rieger kit, exhuast, and paint. and most of the labor for parts was done by me. the worst part is i can probly only get between 3-4k for it, if that. i dont know what to do. im just really pissed and tired at this point.

ok finally some good news. hard starts are gone (for now). i think it was either the ovp relay, or the fuel pump relay. i was in the trunk rewiring my amp to make things neater. while in there i wigled the fuel relay for the hell of it. i had also been playing around with the ovp tapping it and such. but now she starts on a dime, even after sitting overnight. i ordered the ovp just to be safe (even tho the fuse on mine is not blown maybe internal cmponents are shot). as for the suspension, i went under the car to check and the arm that needs changing is the lower thrust control arm, which looks to be an easy fix (25 bucks for the arm on autohaus). i also bought the eccentric bolts in hopes that i can get somebody to install them and get my tires perfect. so all said and done im hoping to get out of this by spending 200 bucks (under 300 i hope). all i will have to pay for is the installation of eccentric bolts and an alignment. then i can breathe easy again.