Thread: noise from engin

noise from engin

hi,
    I already made an appoitment at the stealership, but before I go I wanted some opinions concerning a sound that comes from the motor. My car has 100 000km. New MAF sensor and spark plugs. Now, the noise is a "clack, clack" nothing big but it becomes more evident when I drive slowley next to another car. Also you can hear it more as the water temperature rises and when I keep my foot (in Neutral) steady at 1.5 RPM. Could it be that it needs a adjustment of some sort?
    Any Idea of what that could be. If you need more infor let me know.
    Thank you guys in advnce for any help .

a pully shock or tappet?
    95 C220 Moonstone/Gray mb-tex
    MODS
    - Replica Avantgarde Grill
    - Flat hood Emblem
    - Plat +4 plugs
    - In Dash Pioneer CD and pioneer speakers
    - XM Radio
    - pioneer 12\" DVC Sub
    - Boss amp
    - Blue headlights & APC signals
    - H&R Springs
    - Bilstein sports up front
    - 17\" MOMO\'s

could it be the chain that is going bad or loose???

the noise is probably the belt tensioner wobbling off its center. does it sound like a plastic on metal clicking noise and happens especially when you put load on the belt (turning on AC, lights, shifting into moving gear)?

to check it out, make sure your engine is off first. pop the hood, and look down at the front of the engine, where the belt is. look down and a little to the right of the center of the engine. there should be this circular looking thing with a bolt sticking out of the middle. this is the belt tensioner. try reaching it (DONT GET BURNED) and move it around. if you can push it around and it happens to make the same noise as when you are just driving around, then you've found the problem.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

thanks for the reply,
    you have the noise down, but I couldn't find anything loos. The noise gets a bit louder when I turn the fan on, doesn't matter what speed. Moste of the noise comes when I keep it steady at 1.5 (almost 2 RPM) and the water temperature is half way on the gauge.

i dunno, my guess is that its probably the belt tensioner.

mine has been making the noise for about 5-6 months now and it just gets worse the more i drive the car... im gonna get it fixed soon but its gonna cost me a pretty penny. around $250 for the part, $500+ for labor.

mine makes the most noise when im idling in a moving gear or when im driving around with the AC on. after 1-2k rpm, the sound seems to go away? maybe the engine noise drones out the clicking sound? i dunno.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

Paul
    Originally posted by fastmayte
    a pully shock or tappet?
    Tappet?.........hydrolic lifters.maybe im wrong.

your trunk emblem is probably just loose...

ok joking... but im having a similar click/knocking sound but it should more like its coming from the top front of the motor... kinda sounds like the normal engine ticking... but a little louder which is concerning... well see
    j.otness
    http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15706

does it sound like a engine knock ?
    1998 C230k Classic Edition