Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shifter bushing replacement

I've looked around and found some threads stating there's a green bushings too? Are there two or one?
    1997 C280 Sport

Parts are cheap but the killer is labor.

Yes there is an identical part that is coloured green...both interchangeable.

You need to jack the front of the car fairly high on jack stands to get access under the transmission.

The bushing position is high up between the transmission and the tunnel wall so while the job of replacement is dead simple, it is somewhat fiddly. It will take anywhere between 90 seconds and 15 minutes to install the bush with the clip in position.

hope im not to late but i found the pics hope it helps
    some are haters and some are lovers , but me..... i\'m a shiner!!

Thanks for the pics aruba. I was able to see where the bushings were located. I did my oxygen sensor and did the bushings too. I bought two of them from the dealer ($3.46) but I was only missing 1 bushing underneath.. Total install took about 1hr, not too bad!
    1997 C280 Sport

Alot of people seem to be having an easier time with the forward bushing replacement. I replaced the one at the shifter, but I saw no way in hell I was going to be able to reach the front one without dropping the transmission, so I left it alone. I've been using only the one on the shifter for years now.

Also had a strange way of replacing it. I opened up the shifter console from the inside and pulled it up and replaced it in from inside the cabin.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Originally posted by Sulaco
    Alot of people seem to be having an easier time with the forward bushing replacement. I replaced the one at the shifter, but I saw no way in hell I was going to be able to reach the front one without dropping the transmission, so I left it alone. I've been using only the one on the shifter for years now.

Also had a strange way of replacing it. I opened up the shifter console from the inside and pulled it up and replaced it in from inside the cabin.
    Luckily mine was still intact. I was thinking I hope the bushing isnt missing when I was under there because that area would be impossible just to reach in..
    1997 C280 Sport