Thread: CODE P1700 Transmission upshift delay without function I'M NEW FIRST POST

CODE P1700 Transmission upshift delay without function I'M NEW FIRST POST

My 1996 C 280 I purchased brand new from the showroom in FEB 1996, but the PROD DATE is OCT 1995, Last week I purchased a hand held code reader due to my "Check Engine" light came on. The CODE is P1700 and it calls for Transmission upshift delay without function, Upshift delay switchover valve problem p1700. I erased the code, but 3 days later it came back on again, same CODE. I called the dealer and he said that for $640.oo he will replace this part number A124 270 16 73 Tranny CASE Vacuum box, solenoid valve control pressure cable. I live in Northern VA close to D.C. Everything is expensive here. My question to this fine group of pro's in the Forum is, where exactly is located this cable? can I do it myself? can I at least adjust it? rather than replacing it? I do not want to spend a lot of $$. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would check the vacuum connections at the valve first to make sure there isn't a disconnected line. The switch and line are under the hood near the windsheild on the passenger side in the area where all the control boxes are located. If the cable is where the leak is located the price you were quoted seems about right and is pretty much not a DIY job.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

I totally I agree with you. It's not a DIY. Bring it to a shop who knows Mercedes so you won't get rip off.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

In Charge
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

it's a white vacuum hose that plugs into your intake manifold near the throttle body

that upshift delay is for cold days, it keeps the car in first for a while to warm up the cats (its only for emissions), my 1994 c280 throws that code every once in a while, and I haven't noticed it delaying the 1st gear upshift in the summer. It used to do it in the winter, but i'm fairly certain it didn't do so this past winter. In my mind it wasn't worth the cost to fix, considering it has no adverse effects on the car, save for reduced emissions compliance. I just clear the code when it shows up every couple of months.
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11