Thread: ABS light turned on

ABS light turned on

hey guys before i start i wanted to say i did search the forum,
    SO my abs light turned on yesterday, i believe its because of my brake pads being worn (which iam going to change today) i just wanted to know while im there is there anything else i should i look for while im there, what else could be the cause of this, besides the obvisious abs sensor etc,,, can worn pads cause the light to come on?

I am interested to learn more about this as well. My ABS light has been on for such a long time and I've learned to ignore it. The light will turn off sometimes and the following day it will be on again.
    Many have suggested replacing the brake light switch at the bottom of the dash, which I've done 2x. I've also replaced
    the speed sensor but the problem persists.

My C230's brake system (Rotors, disc brake pad, brake sensor) was serviced 5000 miles ago using only OEM parts by yours truly.

There's a different light all together for having bad pads. the ABS light being on means there's an electronic fault somewhere.

As a hardcore test, try doing 45mph and slamming on the brakes as heard as you can. If the wheels lock up and you skid instead of the typical ABS, then you've got a sensor or something out somewhere. Could be ABS relay, could be voltage regulator in the alternator, etc.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

I tried that, ABS does not engage at all. (no pumping or vibrating pedal feeling as one would feel when ABS is functioning properly).
    As an added info, 5 years ago I took it to the dealership to have it checked out. They wanted to replace the ABS pump assembly located to the right of engine compartment for a whopping $1800.
    I said, let me just pay your $150 diagnostic charge. Walked away and never bothered with it.

Do you know where this ABS relay and sensor is? I don't have access to EPC.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
    There's a different light all together for having bad pads. the ABS light being on means there's an electronic fault somewhere.

As a hardcore test, try doing 45mph and slamming on the brakes as heard as you can. If the wheels lock up and you skid instead of the typical ABS, then you've got a sensor or something out somewhere. Could be ABS relay, could be voltage regulator in the alternator, etc.

The relay is under the black plastic cover on the abs pump itself. Remove that hex screw and pull it up. Cheap relay that can be swapped with other relays on the car. Swap them around and see if the light goes away.

The abs ecu is mounted on the ecu itself.
    CURRENT:

Those are torx screws. Of all the tools I have in my toolbox, this is the size I don't have.

The relay is under the black plastic cover on the abs pump itself. Remove that hex screw and pull it up. Cheap relay that can be swapped with other relays on the car. Swap them around and see if the light goes away.

The abs ecu is mounted on the ecu itself.

It's only screwed into some plastic. Just jam something in there that will turn it. Shouldn't take much!
    CURRENT:

I should have known better. Stripped the head on one of the f'in torx using the wrong size tool.
    BTW, it's not screwed on to some plastic, it goes all the way into the box of the assembly which is aluminum (i think).
    Now, I have to figure out how to get this thing out without causing more damage.
    Or maybe leave it well alone.
    It's only screwed into some plastic. Just jam something in there that will turn it. Shouldn't take much!

Oh scheisse. I feel like that's my fault. I will pull the screw, cover, and relay off mine and ship them your way. PM me your address. I'll put the torx head in the box, too.
    when I took mine off, I didn't have a torx either--so I just jammed the head of my needlenose pliers in there and it took no torque at all. I assumed it would be the same on your end too. Apologies, mate
    CURRENT:

No it's not your fault dude. It's totally mine. Don't feel like that.
    I will find a way to get this thing out. I don't drive the car much. Therefore it can sit in the driveway as long as it takes.
    Thanks for the concern. I'm scouting around my general vicinity for one that's being parted out. I saw one on CL but it's a C220. hopefully I can get some parts from there.

Oh scheisse. I feel like that's my fault. I will pull the screw, cover, and relay off mine and ship them your way. PM me your address. I'll put the torx head in the box, too.
    when I took mine off, I didn't have a torx either--so I just jammed the head of my needlenose pliers in there and it took no torque at all. I assumed it would be the same on your end too. Apologies, mate

Quote Originally Posted by hvmercy View Post
    No it's not your fault dude. It's totally mine. Don't feel like that.
    I will find a way to get this thing out. I don't drive the car much. Therefore it can sit in the driveway as long as it takes.
    Thanks for the concern. I'm scouting around my general vicinity for one that's being parted out. I saw one on CL but it's a C220. hopefully I can get some parts from there.
    There is a 94 C-Class at Pick N Pull in San Jose that might yield a few parts.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

Hmm, I thought that was the same one in Milpitas. But that's close too.

Quote Originally Posted by mbsickness View Post
    There is a 94 C-Class at Pick N Pull in San Jose that might yield a few parts.

Quote Originally Posted by hvmercy View Post
    Hmm, I thought that was the same one in Milpitas. But that's close too.
    My problem is finding the time to go "picking" with work and kids.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

my bad. It's a 98 C230 and posted with Milpitas on it. I texted the number posted on there and waiting for response.
    I'll most likely go early tomorrow if I can get the exact location. You and I are on the same boat - "kids and work"; but weekends aren't so bad, I can make time.

Quote Originally Posted by mbsickness View Post
    My problem is finding the time to go "picking" with work and kids.

They make an easy out drill bit for such mishaps. Looks like a trip to Lowe's or Home Depot is in your near future
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.
    -------------------------

I just got my car ran for the codes, it is the stop lamp switch , 31.99 at the dealer, going to install tomorrow

Does anybody have information on installing the switch? The mechanic stated its somewhere under the seat

Do you mean brake light switch? It's not under the seat
    It's located under the driver side dash right where the brake pedals are. You have to open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowwhiteMerc View Post
    Does anybody have information on installing the switch? The mechanic stated its somewhere under the seat

http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/1...ht-cruise.html

Yea i guess they call it that as well i searched and found installment, thanks

If anybody follows those direction, keep in mind that the e brake cable will give you limited space to work with, and in my opinion disconnecting the brake light switch first from where its mounted rather then the electrical connecters first is way easier...just installed and my abs light went away

I can change those brake light switch with my eyes closed.

You're lucky that was the solution to your problem. It wasn't on mine.

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowwhiteMerc View Post
    If anybody follows those direction, keep in mind that the e brake cable will give you limited space to work with, and in my opinion disconnecting the brake light switch first from where its mounted rather then the electrical connecters first is way easier...just installed and my abs light went away

Just as a heads up, I noted at while skimming through ALLDATA at work, that there's a TSB for the front ABS harness insulation. Symptoms include the ABS light coming intermittently while driving.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

My car is up to date on all TSB for 1997 model year.

Quote Originally Posted by W202FTW View Post
    Just as a heads up, I noted at while skimming through ALLDATA at work, that there's a TSB for the front ABS harness insulation. Symptoms include the ABS light coming intermittently while driving.