Thread: Performance Ideas for my 230! Need thoughts!

Performance Ideas for my 230! Need thoughts!

Hey guys i'm new to this forum, happy to be here.

I have a 98 C230 N/A.

I'm use to driving Japanese cars, which are more responsive. That's what I'm trying to get at with my 230. I have a few performance ideas and i was wondering if any of you can tell me if it'll work or if has been done with good results.

"Performance" List:

1. Replace the intake tubing with a 2.5 or 3 inch pipe running from the box with a flat K&N filter to the throttle body, with a custom hole to install the MAF sensor into the piping rather than using the plastic piece.
    2. Run a straight 2.5 or 3 inch pipe from the headers all the way to the back with 2 Resonators, and no muffler. (I would like to know any info on shutting up the sound while maintaining a high exhaust flow, im not a big fan of loud exhausts)
    3. Figuring that i straight pipe the exhaust system... obviously with no CAT, tuning the ECU to read the normal voltage on the secondary o2 sensor for no CEL and to not run rich.
    4. Speed Innovations ECU tune for #3 on the list and to remove speed limiter, increase Rev limiter, and a bit more power.
    5. MAYBE replacing the headers with some aftermarket ones, but I've heard that these Germans designed these suckers pretty good...

Lastly, I have the OEM 15 inch wheels with 205/60/R15 - FRONT. 225/60/R15 - REAR. I was wondering if i put '50' Profile if it'll be a problem?(205/50/R15 - FRONT, 225/50/R15 - REAR.) I dont like that it looks like TRUCK TIRES! My Tacoma uses Profile 60!
    I have Eibach Springs with Billstein Sports and #1 Pads on the Front. #3 Pads on the Rear, and considering deeply between #1 or #2 Pads for the Rear.

Also when i got my currant tires replaced, my cruise control stopped working, i read somewhere that the computer detects different tire sizes between front and rear and disables the cruise control....???????

Well thats it for now, i'll be looking foward yours guys's opinions, thoughts, and information, Thanks!
    Last edited by eman; 04-23-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Not sure about computer disabling cruise control due to different size or widths of he tires, I'm running 235/45/r17 in the front and 245/40/r17 in the back and I use cruise control daily. Do you plan on keeping the stock15" rims? If not then just hold off till you upgrade and get a lower profile then
    1994 Subaru J10
    1996 Honda Accord Coupe
    2000 BMW 320i
    2006 Mercedes Benz CLK
    1994 Mercedes Benz c280.. With...
    Sony 220W CD player/1000W SPL amp/ 6* 180W Pioneer speakers/2*750 12" Kickers
    17" Mercedes Benz rims, AMG style sport grill/smoked indicators/ LED fog lights/ LED accent lights
    Magnaflow muffler/Custom Iceman CAI with K&N cone filter
    Next mod? Gotta drop it... Damn I'm clumbsy

1. Run a filter to the bumper, or fabricate a heat shield. If you're gonna a run 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipe ( I suggest 3 inches because the MAF is 3in ) all the way to the throttle body, you might as well go with a cone filter.

2. I chopped out my resonator, straight piped it and then ran a straight chambered muffler. My 280 is VERY LOUD. If you're going to chop out both cats and the reso, throw on a quality muffler with baffles. Chances are though, that it's going to get loud anyways.

3. I haven't been able to figure that out.

4. UPSolute offers a ECU tune, and they quoted on my C280 that I'd get about 10+ HP on a bone stock car. You probably won't get anything more than that with any tune.

5. OEM headers suck, period. Not much choice on the aftermarket scene neither, unless if you want to dish out some serious green for some Superspint ones. Somebody fabricated and welded their own for a turbo M104 I-6 set-up...

6. As for the wheels, I suggest 16's or even 17's on your car. No need to downgrade into 205 / 50-15s, that's just plain wrong.

As for the cruise control, do you have a ABS light on / or one that comes on intermittently? If not, it could be as simple as a brake light switch needing to be replaced, or on the worse side - a wheel sensor that has to be replaced.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

Thanks for the opinions

i'm actually not gonna do anything with the exhaust system anymore, im gonna keep it stock. As for the intake i will run a filter to the front bumper.
    For the wheels im also just gonna save up to get different ones. For the cruise control my cluster has no lights ON and i actually scanned the ecu for a code and nothing. Next step is just rack it and take off the wheels and see whats up. I really like my 230 but its gonna have to stay as my daily driver till i get another sports car... aiming at a Nissan S14 240sx.