Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil in spark plugs 5 & 3

as they say cant be too safe :P jre for trucks if we changed oil at 3-6k miles we would be sitting all the time lol i drive 4.5k miles a week haha

Hey guys just wanted to post the results/outcome on my Benz.....I finally broke down and took the car in to a Indy for a diagnostics check as I kept replacing the spark plugs/coils/wiring and extensions/MAF any other things that were suggested in here......Well the first Indy place I took it to said that he was hearing a bad sound coming from the timing chain and it could be the guide or pulley? and he needed to also do a compression test.....
    I told him to get it off the lift and bring it around and I would pay their $110.00 for their advise....but if I had to do a timing chain and valve guides @ their hourly prices I was better off just buying a used W202 motor and swapping it out.....besides the car started and ran fine if I held the gas pedal down it was just not doing well @ idle it would idle at below 500 and just die.....So two days later I took it to a second Indy shop and also had the guy do a diagnostic evaluation on my Beasty Benz.....(I didn't mention that I had already gotten one from someone else) he told me that the car had an erratic electrical malfunction and he disconnected something on the car, and it ran smoother, but he said he needed to keep it for a few days.....(he did not mention anything about a timing chain or bad compression) or I if I wanted to I could drive it as is and it would be fine (no charge)....so I took it home and drove it for a few miles (75 miles) and it was fine but still not perfect. So I took it back and left it with him to do further checking....two days latter the Indy shop calls me and says the car needs a new ECM as the one in it was acting goofy/erratic.....said it would fix it right up if replaced it, so I said okay just tell me which arm or leg to cut off...he laugh and said not to worry....Well I picked up the car today and it is perfect....it runs great, no stumbling/or low idling/or backfiring the car runs just like it did when I first got it....perfect!!! and it only cost $761.00, no cutting off of any limbs to pay the Indy for fixing my Lil Beasty......I'm soooo glad to have it back and in great running condition, after months of trying to fix it myself, you guys had great responses but this time it really needed a diagnostic check up to fix it......thank you guys......I'm off to do some random driving now......
    Last edited by jc1kz; 05-06-2013 at 03:28 PM.

I'm really glad it is resolved. It must be such a good feeling to have it running great again; who would ever have guessed it was the ECM?

Good thing you didn't have to give any arms or legs.

Enjoy the ride.
    Silver 2000 C280 Sport
    Silver 1998 C280 Elegance
    Dark Blue 1995 C280 Elegance (Totaled by Dealer on first day; gone)

Damn, son. I'm glad it was resolved as well. Few things are as rewarding as a properly-functioning M104-powered w202. I have a C43 and very often miss my 1994 C280.

FWIW there's one added benefit to our cars being so old that they are found in junkyards: Long story short, my alternator created a massive power surge that blew out all kinds of electrical crap on my C280. ECU, ABS computer, and a bunch of smaller relays all over the car. I was looking at thousands upon thousands to repair.

Found a 1995 C280 owned by an old man. Head gasket let go and he overheated it. An indy shop bought it to pull random parts they needed (CCU, full exhaust, throttle body). I bought the entire car from them for $450 and swapped out all the electrical components I needed, and STILL had a shitload of spare parts for my C280 and 1994 E320 (also an M104). Ended up using the water pump and alternator. Still had a complete interior, transmission, all body panels. Damn, it was the best $450 I ever spent, but it sure was an eye-sore sitting in my driveway.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
    Damn, son. I'm glad it was resolved as well. Few things are as rewarding as a properly-functioning M104-powered w202. I have a C43 and very often miss my 1994 C280.

FWIW there's one added benefit to our cars being so old that they are found in junkyards: Long story short, my alternator created a massive power surge that blew out all kinds of electrical crap on my C280. ECU, ABS computer, and a bunch of smaller relays all over the car. I was looking at thousands upon thousands to repair.

Found a 1995 C280 owned by an old man. Head gasket let go and he overheated it. An indy shop bought it to pull random parts they needed (CCU, full exhaust, throttle body). I bought the entire car from them for $450 and swapped out all the electrical components I needed, and STILL had a shitload of spare parts for my C280 and 1994 E320 (also an M104). Ended up using the water pump and alternator. Still had a complete interior, transmission, all body panels. Damn, it was the best $450 I ever spent, but it sure was an eye-sore sitting in my driveway.
    Damn, $450 for a 1995 C280 to use as spare parts. The car paid for itself, nice.
    Silver 2000 C280 Sport
    Silver 1998 C280 Elegance
    Dark Blue 1995 C280 Elegance (Totaled by Dealer on first day; gone)