Thread: Transmission advice

Transmission advice

So my car had been having trouble shifting in and out of gear recently. After looking it up I figured it was a vacuum line somewhere that was messing with the timing. However, recently I tried to drive the car and it was stuck in a weird loop between either neutral and 1st/2st gear. I'm also having some cooling issues as well so reving up my engine to take the car around the neighborhood once puts me at risk of over heating. So i decided to park the car. When looking under the car I noticed some leaking of transmission fluid and that the kickdown cable was half missing and half glued with some epoxy. I was thinking that if I were to replace that/fix the leak I might have a running car again. However, there seems to be no space to work down there at all. Any one have some advice on how to replace it/what to do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	2632 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	2633

You dont have much room but all you can do is try. I havent replaced one in a long time. If not then youll have to drop the rear part of the trans by removing the trans support, disconnecting the flex disc at the trans, move the drive shaft to the side and you should have enough room. If you still need more room you can always jack up the engine by the oil pan (small piece of 2x4 in between jack and pan) that should drop the trans even more. Hope this helps.
    1986 201.034 5-speed, Evo II wheels
    1986 201.024-w/ 3.2 M104 engine, 5-speed Conversion