Thread: How to remove water spots hidden under wax

How to remove water spots hidden under wax

waxing my car the sides look great but i have found some lovely marks on the hood roof and trunk lid that where hidden under the wax, as i used cleaner to remove the exhisting wax so i could give it a fresh coat i found the previous owner wax over water spots, the minerals left over from using regular hose water, how can i remove these there must be an easy way.

Re: How to remove water spots hidden under wax

Originally posted by Andrew C280
    waxing my car the sides look great but i have found some lovely marks on the hood roof and trunk lid that where hidden under the wax, as i used cleaner to remove the exhisting wax so i could give it a fresh coat i found the previous owner wax over water spots, the minerals left over from using regular hose water, how can i remove these there must be an easy way.
    remove wax with a pre-cleanser/ dish washing soap, then clay bar. if that doesn't get it out...it may be more than just water spots.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

What is clay bar and where can I buy it? what is it used for ?

You can pick then up at any leading Kragen or Pepboys.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

clay bar will acually remove a layer of clear coat off of your car so be carefull!!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Originally posted by jnolte
    clay bar will acually remove a layer of clear coat off of your car so be carefull!!
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't take off a layer of clear coat. You're thinking of Wet Sanding.

Clay bar is pretty much strictly for taking off overspray, but also gets rid of sediments that are stuck to the paint, such as tree sap, tar and other stuff.

I'd recommend some fine-cut cleaner or something of the sort. Meguiars has a huge line of cleaners, polishes and wax. If you can't get it off by hand, you might want to find a friend with a power buffer and see if that'll take it off.

Later
    Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

i have been using meguires buy hand i might have to break out the power buffer if the clay bar dosent work

Try vinegar bath...

i though about that seams logical. what do you mix the vinegar with water or just straight

OG Moderator

Re: Re: How to remove water spots hidden under wax

Originally posted by Renn 208
    remove wax with a pre-cleanser/ dish washing soap, then clay bar. if that doesn't get it out...it may be more than just water spots.
    a quickie ip check... germany?

i mix 80% vinegar and 20% water. Dont for get to polish and wax your car after.

worked well no need to buy specal products after useing it to remove the water spots it still had wax on the water sheets off very nicely still i am going to to my second coat of wax.

Originally posted by Andrew C280
    worked well no need to buy specal products after useing it to remove the water spots it still had wax on the water sheets off very nicely still i am going to to my second coat of wax.

So what did you eventually use to get them off?

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

I use the vinegar and water solution to remove the water spots great on the sun roof and windows looks like bran new glass removed spots on the hood that meguires paint cleaner and poslish would not, appears to be safe to use no side effects yet.

Re: Re: Re: How to remove water spots hidden under wax

Originally posted by pnsji
    a quickie ip check... germany?
    hehe, now no one can say that I'm not dedicated to helping club 202ers out.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.