Thread: Tranny Pan help

Angry Tranny Pan help

Okay so every morinig i will find a little puddle of tranny fluid on my garage floor. I thought it was the transmission plug gasket leaking from not being tightened enough. So i got under there and it was snug as a bug. But i saw it wa leaking from the sides of the pan. So i was checking to see if the tranny pan bolts were tight and i found one that is stripped out! The bolt isnt stripped but the acually hole is! It wont tighten, can i get the whole re drilled? what should id do!! im leaking fluid like crazy now!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

You can drill it and helicoil it, not too bad, at least that transmission has "through holes" so you're not drilling into the case. Go to an auto parts store and get a Helicoil kit for thread size 6mmX1.00. It will come with the drill bit too.

Originally posted by benzaddict
    You can drill it and helicoil it, not too bad, at least that transmission has "through holes" so you're not drilling into the case. Go to an auto parts store and get a Helicoil kit for thread size 6mmX1.00. It will come with the drill bit too.
    the hole that is the stripped one is the front left one which is not "through" its in the case..... is that okay?
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

if you dont know how to install a heli-coil, let someone else do it, cuz if u mess it up the first time, chances are u wont be able to get it right the second time. If the threaded hole is open-ended,then you only need to rethread it with a matching tap(i think it is M6 X 1.25, not sure though)

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Originally posted by jnenad16
    if you dont know how to install a heli-coil, let someone else do it, cuz if u mess it up the first time, chances are u wont be able to get it right the second time. If the threaded hole is open-ended,then you only need to rethread it with a matching tap(i think it is M6 X 1.25, not sure though)

nenad
    yeah i dont really know what im doing when it comes to this heli-coil. Should i take it to a shop? this tranny leak is very annoying!!!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

mercedes has a flaw with the tranny gaskets, every one i put on leaks from the back right side. so it you want to put the new gasket as well, make sure u or the shop that puts it on uses RTV or some other gasket sealant. i highly recommend you let someone else who knows to use heli coils do this for you.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

jnolte, I sent you an email through this site but I'm not sure if it worked. If you need help with your trans I have the day off tomorrow and will be out in the garage anyways. Let me know, I have all the stuff we should need just in case.

You don't need sealant with this gasket.

You need the correct torque spec for the bolts when you are ready to reassemble.

If you overtorque it will leak, simple as that.

Ask the dealer what the torque spec is. I just did a trannie service on mine (10k back) and it doesn't leak after I used the torque wrench. I can't recall the ft pounds however.

Sealant is not reccomended with that gasket.

Might as well change the filter, and drain the torque converter too while you are doing all this. It's an EZ job.

Good luck.