Thread: funny Smell

funny Smell

Last week the Low Oil Light when off.. I had to add 2 quart of oil.. Today I notice a funny smell, similar to melted plastic..

Any advice before a take it to the shop..
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

pop the hood and look for leaks.
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

There are no visable Leaks.. I already check .
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

*edit*

edit

nevermind.., now that i read it again, i don't know... sorry...

maybe the oil is dripping onto the exhaust. check the valve cover gasket. how about oil puddles in your parking stall? are there any? if so, where?

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

My parking space at the office and at home are clean..

When I was puring the Oil I spill a little out side... Can this cause this smell?

Cosmo - Sneakers

Question

No blue smoke from the exhaust....

Cosmo - Sneakers

I have the same problem man. I'd get your headgasket checked. I have a leak in mine adn it causes thuis same smell because the oil drips onto the headers. Expensive to fix, sorry.

-sholly

are you sure you didn't fart?

just a thought.

I believe all our cars have a lower engine cover, so you might be leaking but you may not necessarily see it on the ground.

Try jacking the car up and removing the cover.

Like Sholly said, it could be a headgasket leak. I had the same experience. My headgasket was leaking and I didn't necessarily know until I had it checked out. In my case, they removed the cover i described and wow, that's where the oil was.

Thanks..I will check the headgasket...

Cosmo - Sneakers

Originally posted by ShollyC220
    I have the same problem man. I'd get your headgasket checked. I have a leak in mine adn it causes thuis same smell because the oil drips onto the headers. Expensive to fix, sorry.

-sholly
    Sholly,

How much did it co$t??

Cosmo - Sneakers

Originally posted by adelaros
    Sholly,

How much did it co$t??
    Man, let me tell you, they quoted me for $1,800 at the local stealership, mostly labor costs. Freaking thievery I tell you. I still haven't had the job done since I refuse to pay that much. I'm looking into an independent Merc Mechanic around here, I'll le tyou know what he quotes me.

-sholly