Thread: Which is better?

Which is better?

Ok so my 99 W202 didnt come with the cd changer option. I dont have a ipod for myself eitheir.

Now a stock cd changer will run me anywhere from $200-400 and probably break sooner or later and doesnt give me a mp3 option.

Cost is a big factor in my decision here aswell. Eitheir I get basic ipod (maybe shuffle?) and get a ipod integration done on the stock headunit (but then wont be able to play a cd conveniently unless I go back and transfer it to the ipod) or get the stock cd changer?

Which would be better in the long run or easier on my wallet?

Re: Which is better?

Originally posted by benzonline

Which would be better in the long run or easier on my wallet?
    I would think that an mp3 player with a tape converter would be easiest on the wallet.

Best in the long run would be a large cap .mp3 player integrated into your HU, given that you seek basic functionallity at minimal cost.

I don't think that the pain of switching between CDs and .mp3s is a real pain, given that once you've switched to MP3s you can manage your CDs at home to keep the workflow simple.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

My alpine cd changer that I've had since 99 has been tough as nails. Gotten wet dozens of times, been banged really hard, crunched, and lots of other unfortunate things. Never skipped a beat.

And I'm pretty sure that all the MB changers are just rebadged Alpines. The magazine in mine will fit my sister's 05 w203's changer, the buttons are in the same place, and they are exactly the same size (the changer itself). But her's is black and says Benz, mine is blue and says Alpine.

But I did have to pay $600 for mine
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Yeah forgot....I do have a MP3 discman im currently using with the tape adaptor into the MB unit.....this I beleive will just wear out the tape player fast if I continue to use it like this and the sound quality is pretty good but when cranked you can hear some hissing.

Question, if I want to go the ipod route, should I sent the head unit to Becker so they can wire the inputs into the tape players channels? In another forum, a person had this done with their older becker....they wire it and leave aux cables sticking out so you can plug in any aux input while still having the tape player use-able.

Or is there a better "kit" I can buy? I did a search on the forum but didnt get a clear answer.

Originally posted by benzonline
    Yeah forgot....I do have a MP3 discman im currently using with the tape adaptor into the MB unit.....this I beleive will just wear out the tape player fast if I continue to use it like this and the sound quality is pretty good but when cranked you can hear some hissing.
    Bleh, don't believe the hype. Tape adapters sound like BUTT.

(but I'm an audio nut, you might be ok with BUTT audio)

I use my Ipod mini hooked into the Aux Input of my head unit when I go on long trips, like my latest road trip to Vegas, but even that sounds like butt compared to putting the CD directly in.

I know you mentioned that your system was stock, but not sure if you have plans down the road. Depends largely on your head unit and the rest of your system. Your mileage may vary.

-Ray
    2009 Audi S5 Quattro
    2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor - W202 - SOLD
    1992 Toyota Supra Turbo - 2JZ-GTE, GT35R dbb - big project

My car's mileage might vary you're saying? Oh...its low.

I think I might do the ipod route instead of 6 meezly discs in a trunk.

well i bought an alpine changer used for 150 dollars plus instalation and i got an aux connection from the dealership installed for 50 dollars so i have the option of both, i love my ipod and its connection, 20 thousand songs all there for you, but i still need my changer, so...

I've got an MB changer that I used to have in my trunk that I'm thinking of selling. I only used it for about two years. I'm a little hesitant to sell it because it started to skip a LITTLE bit more than when it was new, far from anything ridiculous though. If you're interested I might be willing to let it go. I'd sell it for less than the $150 mentioned above.
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

The problem is though your car is a 97 and mines after 99 so I need a fiber optic changer

Oh damn, my bad. Should've paid more attention.
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

from what im hearing will a currrent model Alpine changer work in my car which is fiber optic?

I bought a Blaupunkt Monterrey MP35 for my car. Plugged right into my factory harness (the reason I bought it) and plays MP3 and CD and for a $12 upgrade you have an aux-in port. I love it and it sounds phenominal. Mine cost me $213 because I overnight shipped it. Don't overnight it and you're looking at $170 roughly. Plus it you can change the color, literally, to match the interior. It doesn't just have a range of four colors like the some head units have, you can actually adjust it till it's just right.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)