Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woot just finished changing engine wire harness

Nokia,
    go for it, feel free np
    least i can do
    \"F*** new model cars, we ridin\' ol\' school\" €

OG Moderator
    Good Job man!!!!!
    I will need this when I need to replace my wiring harness (knock on the wood)

Dude, AWESOME work man!!! You ROCK!!!

wow...you are coool i wish this was up 6 months ago

Funny. I saw the exact same picture of the old wiring harness, state, model and year for sale on Ebay....Maybe it was just one of those one in a million things...

What were some of the problems you were experiencing before you changed the harness?

I think mine is finally going out and I want to be sure before I sit around for 6 months collecting $600 to fix something that won't help my crazy assed problems.

I'm getting no CEL and no codes, but the car is running like complete shit. I can't turn on the HVAC at all or it will kick into limp mode. I can't sit stopped in gear or it will kick into limp mode. And EVERY time I accelerate (lightly, softly, full) it kicks, spits, sputters, bitches, moans, missfires ALOT, then eventually goes (with a very high probability that it will go into limp mode).
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Originally posted by Sulaco
    What were some of the problems you were experiencing before you changed the harness?

I think mine is finally going out and I want to be sure before I sit around for 6 months collecting $600 to fix something that won't help my crazy assed problems.

I'm getting no CEL and no codes, but the car is running like complete shit. I can't turn on the HVAC at all or it will kick into limp mode. I can't sit stopped in gear or it will kick into limp mode. And EVERY time I accelerate (lightly, softly, full) it kicks, spits, sputters, bitches, moans, missfires ALOT, then eventually goes (with a very high probability that it will go into limp mode).
    My car had a serious mis-fire, but no CEL was showing up. It turned out that one of the ignition coils wasn't firing, so essentially I was only running on 4 cylinders. Symptoms of the bad wiring harness can vary so much, because almost everything related to the engine is tied into that harness. There is one way to tell for sure if you need a new harness, and that is by inspection. If you are VERY careful and slice off the black tape around a part of the wiring harness, you will be able to see if the insulation is all cracked and disintegrated. Your sig says you have a 1994 C280 (same as mine) which is one of the affected models, so you could very well need a new one.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Yeah, I've been a big fan of your site because we have almost the exact same car (except for cosmetic differences).

Looks like I'm going to have to ditch her until I can afford the harness.

Thanks.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-