Thread: Sea Foam?

Question Sea Foam?

Hello folks

My car is pretty old now, im sure its got plenty of gunk and carbon built up in the fuel and engine systems. I have heard a few things about Seafoam, you put it into your intake manifold,crank case and gas tank. I guess you rev it up and black smoke willl pour out of your exhust but after, all carbon and gunk will be gone.

This seems kind of harsh and bad for the internal parts of the car, i was wondering if its safe? Would i need to change the Oil immeditly after doing it?

The website dosent say much

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpConsumer.htm

any help or insight would be much appreciated!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

rollinrealbig
    what do you gain from this?

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    what do you gain from this?

are you serious?
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

rollinrealbig
    Originally posted by jnolte
    are you serious?
    yea man. i wanna know what I should be expecting after trying to do sumthing like this.

I dont know about pouring it down the intake, but in fuel and oil it does clean the engine. there is a very good product I tried once on my C280 with very good results, but I just cant remember the name of it. I got a sample at the SEMA a few years ago. it was an intake cleaner(foam), it cleans the entire intake system including the fuel injectors and the combustion chamber. after using it, I definitely saw a good improvement in throttle responce and gas mileage for a while. I'll have to search the web for it.
    as for the engine flushing, the safest oil flush I have come across is from lubegard, infact Id highly recomment you get their flush and protect kit for the engine,I guarantee you'll feel the difference after using it(worked great on every car I tried it on).
    http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/engine_flush.html

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

rollinrealbig
    wow I gotta try this seafoem stuff!

I've heard stories of smoke for 10 minutes up and down the block when the carbon comes off your head and pistons using Sea Foam. I used Sea Foam on my '89 Volvo w/ 180,000 miles. I didn't get any smoke. I guess I drive my car hard enough that I didn't have the carbon build up. Those higher revs really keep your carbon build up down! Overall I don't think you need to worry about using this product, however it was not effective in helping my car. Cleaning my throttle body inside was what had the greatest effect. Look up Chinese water torture on google for more information.

I like BG products.

BG 44K once a year keeps things clean.
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

Originally posted by Polestar
    I like BG products.

BG 44K once a year keeps things clean.
    most benz dealers actually uses BG products. we use the 44k and the fuel injection sytem cleaner. we also use the power steering fluid flush kit at our dealer.

they def make some good products...i'm a fan!

Jason
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

so how do u get the seafoam in again?

Originally posted by trymonlam
    so how do u get the seafoam in again?
    I would only recommend using seafoam as a fuel system cleaner(in your gas), but for engine flushing Id highly recommend lubegard engine flush(in your oil).

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

most benz dealers actually uses BG products. we use the 44k and the fuel injection sytem cleaner. we also use the power steering fluid flush kit at our dealer.
    So, Jason, in what part of the Nutmeg State are you? My home state.

My mechaninc used BG Universal Synthetic transmission fluid for my last change. I was quite skeptical, as I've always read, use MB Transmission Fluid ONLY!. But he showed me on the container it was approved for Mercedes use and that many service people use it. He's used it for years and thinks it is better than MB's
    What do you think? Honestly, I think I'm going to flush it and go back to MB's
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

So, Jason, in what part of the Nutmeg State are you? My home state.

My mechaninc used BG Universal Synthetic transmission fluid for my last change. I was quite skeptical, as I've always read, use MB Transmission Fluid ONLY!. But he showed me on the container it was approved for Mercedes use and that many service people use it. He's used it for years and thinks it is better than MB's
    What do you think? Honestly, I think I'm going to flush it and go back to MB's
    i live in milford but i work at the fairfield dealer. so i'm down by the coast. we only use the BG p/s fluid if we do a p/s flush but if were replacing parts or just changing fluid we use the mb p/s fluid. no comebacks yet so it must be ok for the car. i've never tried the BG tranny fluid but i know that there are a few fluids out there that are compatible with your car. i think i read somewhere that nenad uses redline tranny fluid and it was great. maybe he can comfirm on this! the main reason benz says use benz sh*t is so they get their profit and they just increase the price of the synthetic fluid for the 722.6 tranny to $27/quart. the price went up over 100%. funny, but TRUE!

Jason
    Jason

We used to play you in football. I grew up down I-95 in New Canaan. I miss CT.
    I'm still a passionate UCONN Huskies fan.

Well, OK, at least you haven't heard anyting bad about BG's A/T fluid. I don't doubt the quality of the systhetic, only whether it's the right product to protect the componets of the 722.606 And, I wonder if fully mixes with the
    MB fluid that remained. BTW, is it normal to only be able to replace 6.5qt. of the 8.5 capacity of the transmission?
    Thanks for the info. I really enjoy owning my Mercedes.

yes, redline's D4 ATF is compatible with lifetime fluids, infact I see it as a superior replacement fluid. I used it in my 96 740i, which uses shell lifetime ATF, with great results. I think that all dexron 3 fluids,as long as they are synthetic, will work in 722.6 and later transmissions.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

We used to play you in football. I grew up down I-95 in New Canaan. I miss CT.
    I'm still a passionate UCONN Huskies fan.

Well, OK, at least you haven't heard anyting bad about BG's A/T fluid. I don't doubt the quality of the systhetic, only whether it's the right product to protect the componets of the 722.606 And, I wonder if fully mixes with the
    MB fluid that remained. BTW, is it normal to only be able to replace 6.5qt. of the 8.5 capacity of the transmission?
    Thanks for the info. I really enjoy owning my Mercedes.
    are you sure you drained the torque convertor completely. the pan holds exactly 4 quarts of fluid. the filter and the lines hold about a half a quart. the torque holds the other 3 quarts. when i do tranny services and drain the torque also, i usually end up putting 7.5 to 8 quarts (usually 7.5 though). you'll never put 8.5 back into it after the initial fill from the factory. when he did your service, i'm thinking he left it on the low side when measuring the level. do you have the MB dipstick? i would measure it and then add some if needed or have him check it again when the cars warmed up and cycle the shifter through the gears!

Jason
    Jason

are you sure you drained the torque convertor completely.
    No, I'm not sure of anything because I didn't do it: I don't like that "not knowing".
    I'm going to have my mech. measure the level and I want to take a look at the dip stick. I know it's something I could do myself, but I fig. why spend the $100 on tools for a job I'll do every 60K mi. Plus, I don't mind paying for the expirence of a pro. BTW, I'm getting the 6.5 figure from the bill, so it may not be the actual amount.
    Hey, thanks for the feedback.
    I miss summers on Long Island Sound, but we have some awsome mountains out here and the Puget Sound; unfortunatly, the water's around 55 degs year round.

no problem, glad to help out.

yeah the long island sound is fun around summer time if you have a boat. i enjoy going out there as much as possible when i have some free time!

Jason
    Jason

i use seafoam on my integra all the time (thru the vacum hoses - thru the intake).. once every other oil change..
    n i can litterally feel the difference... but then again.. i guess it actually does clean cause after u use it.. i begin to notice oil leaks