Thread: Front bumper fixin'

Front bumper fixin'

This really doesnt fall into the Body modification subforum so I posted it here.
    Anyway. As some may have read( or will read) what I posted in the Boba lounge. My dumbass got too close to a parking curb.

I can(and will) take it to the dealership, but I would like to know if anyone has ever taken off the Sport bumper before. I am not sure if the stateside bumpers are the same as "overseas" bumpers. But right now I just need a general guide of what to look for. Because if the stateside & overseas bumpers are the same I can order what I need & have it shipped.

Here is the part in question. This looks to be th eonly real damage & it is preventing me from keeping the bumper securely atached. I can get it lined up to where it looks like nothing ever happened. BUT, it shakes pretty good & is quite loose.

Hell, if I can even get a black zip tie around it I may do that. Is it ghetto?..yes. BUT, it works & isnt exactly noticable unitl you take off the bumper anyway. It will work & be safe. So if I have to go that route I will. I canot really have the car down for days. Not atleast until I get another one. Then I will fix it properly(unless ofcourse this can be fixed with factory parts & I do not need to remove the bumper).

It's raining too much for me to get a good look at it right now. I'll jack it up tomorrow & get underneath to see if anything else is screwed up.

Here is a pic of the rubber "clamp" I am refering to.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

i would remove the bumper and inspect for any broken pieces, as you have found already.

then reinforce all hte broken pieces with some fiberglass....doesn't have to be neat since it's under the bumper...

if its anything like the C43 bumper, there should be 4 bolts holding the bumper in place. Just unscrew those and slide the bumper off. As far as the plastic clip, its only $100 from the dealer. Shouldn't be too hard to replace.

I did the same thing in my C43 except my bumper ripped. but yeah I just kinda taped up the clip and taped up the bumper and it stayed on.

Re: Front bumper fixin'

Originally posted by Espresso
    Anyway. As some may have read( or will read) what I posted in the Boba lounge. My dumbass got too close to a parking curb.
    I just did the same dumb thing today in my 2000 c280 Sport. A few of the lower pieces popped out. I popped them back in on the spot, but everything seems quite loose and of course, there are scrapes and scratches. Let me know what you find out about fixing the bumper cover. As I'd be quite interested in hearing about that.
    2000 c280 Sport
    1991 190e 2.3 (sold)

the "facelift" bumpers are made up of several pieces, and you guys can probably piece them back together 1x1 instead of buying the whole bumper. espresso's pic suggests it may only be the front bumper skeleton, which goes for only about $110 if i recall (714 guy was making replica brabus front lip, and it was required to buy the inside skeleton piece, so that thread could easily turn up from a search).

option #2 - you could buy my pre-fitted full genuine WALD fiberglass kit with fogs and hardware for $1400 USD + shipping from california

I havent had a chance to get the bumper off yet. But it looks like the brace it's self is plastic(I know most are metal but from what I have seen so far it is all plastic) & the part that is in the photo is rubber. The cover & everything else is fine.
    I may just either bond it back together, or buy new. I REALLY do not want to take anythign apart right now.
    I moved here so I could stop working on cars. I am healing good & dont want to screw myself up worse by overdoing something that can be fixed properly with a rubber bonding agent.

No fibreglass is going on this car(kitwise). I need this stuff to flex. With all the potholes, bumps & curbs, i'll be fixing the bumpers & crap every month.
    As for the body kit. I would be interested(if it doesnt kill the fine lines of this car) when I am ready to paint the car. But that isnt coming until after the house is built...in about 18 months.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

The broken clip is not rubber trust me I've take off my bumper and tried to fix the clip too. And I wouldn't used plastic bondo to fix it. Like I said earlier in my post, its only $100 from the dealer and really shouldn't take more then an hour to replace it. Save yourself the headache and do it right first

Wald is the ONLY kit I would ever think about putting on my car. The flow really well and are very subtle. Kinda a cross between the C36 and C43 kits.

knvs,

That bumper looks really sweet! Much better than the split facelift ones do.. Although, I'd have to get a similar cover for my rear bumper in order for it to look right.

Anyway, thanks for the info about being able to purchase separate pieces for the newer front bumper covers. That makes me feel a whole lot better.
    2000 c280 Sport
    1991 190e 2.3 (sold)