Thread: Instrument Cluster LED conversion started....

Lightbulb Instrument Cluster LED conversion started....

Hey guys,

Finally started to open up the W140 instrument cluster to see what inside. It turned out the W140 cluster is VERY well designed and is actually designed to be taken apart (the rear hatch actually has a hing s you can just open up the cluster like a book). The bad news is however, sylvania/osram's website listed the WRONG bulb, its not a 2721 bulb as they mentioned so i now have to reorder new bulbs. For the warning lights (and all other positions using the same bulbs) there are 17 (small black base in pic, 3 in the lid which are not visible from that angle) bulbs, and for the 4 main cluster lights (big white base in pic) there are only 4 (suprising). They also use a similar Light optic method for distributing the light as BMW's so it should work perfect with the LED bulbs once I get them. Thank god these clusters are easier to work on than BMWs.... BMW ones area nightmare. anyways I will be posting more results soon, so stay tuned.....

anyways here are some pics to give you guys some ideas.

Cool LED's, how would you change the color in the instrument cluster? I don't like the orange that much, I'd like something like white or blue..

Post pics when your done!
    1997 C280 Sport

i am going to do super/white so it will look like the new updated w220 consoles, which have a cool bluish white color (i have suspisions may be LED's as well.)

Don't worry, pics are on the way once bulbs arrived, I already ordered them tonight. I will have total price break down just as I did in my other interior LED thread. Until the next episode...

Do a write up! Would be nice to have one.
    1997 C280 Sport

i'll try but remember W202 could be totally different, dunno how much help it will really be but i guess a general writeup couldn't hurt

hey guys, bulbs came in today ... should have pics coming in the next 2-3 days

Final analysis:

well guys, I installed the LED's tonight and frankly it turned out pretty crappy. I soon started to realize the inherent problem of trying to put the LED's into the convetional slots. The problem is that LED's simply do not have the 360 degree range that a normal incandescent bulbs do. the color was actually almost perfect (like W220) but the light output was not there (light was patchy b/c the LED only had 100 degree spread, which is the max for any LED anyways). The best thing to do is just get a set of the colored bulbs for the car and that should work just fine with the proper output.

the #74 bulbs (for warning lights and etc) are not even a close fit and honestly when i think about it they are a waste anwyays b/c the color is build into the strip anyways so they would look the same pretty much. basically its not worth it to do the full warning strip/turn signals/low gas light/redline rpm/low oil.

So in reality all you need are the 4 main cluster bulbs, the rest i would keep stock.

It sucks i had to spent all that $$ to figure out it didn't work but thats what happens when u are a Pioneer modder charging ahead into unchartered territory, sometimes you hit a grand slam, and sometimes u strike out, thats just how the game is played. But at least now we all know what is possible and what is not. I'll just sell whatever i didn't use on ebay as new since i didn't even get to use them. Glad I could help you guys out. anyways ttyl

EDIT: after doing some more research there is one more possible solution that can be done which is the 5 LED bulb 194. I MAY or may not try that. If you guys want I can go ahead and try that one but realistically it may not work. its up to you guys.

ok guys, im gonna give ONE LAST shot at this . This is for all the marbles. (4) 194 5LED wide angle superwhite LED's were bought, hopefully this works. until the next episode

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    ok guys, im gonna give ONE LAST shot at this . This is for all the marbles. (4) 194 5LED wide angle superwhite LED's were bought, hopefully this works. until the next episode
    good lookin' out. i definately appreciate the work you're putting in & looking forward to the end result.

can you return the old leds? I imagine its getting pretty expensive..
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Well i managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat...

Hey guys, I finally got the new LEDs and WOW its MUCH better. how the hell i pulled this one off i dunnno lol. The speedometer is slightly darker than the other two and i'd like it to be alittle brighter all across so i'll try the "true blue glass 194 xenons" and see how they turn out.

The LED's turned out much nicer but they are still very expensive. I am going to try out ONE MORE setup which is the true blue glass 194 xenon bulbs and see how those are. You can do the whole cluster for $12 shipped vs. $30 shipped for LEDs. I will do a comparison between the two. Anyways, here are the LED pics (sorry they are alittle blurry but you et the idea, they are alittle bit darker in real life than the pics but it is a fairly accurate representation, i just want to emphasize that they are slightly darker.)

FYI guys,

just ordered the true blue glass xenons for $12, should be here in a few days

another quick update:

I just checked the OEM fade dimmer feature and it works perfect and fades smoothly just like the real bulbs for those of you who were wondering if it might just turn on/off instead of fade. hope that helps.

New xenons coming in, i have a feeling those will be the best looking (and cheapest) alternative to stock.

Whoa!! Looks very nice!! Is there anyway to change the clock/mileage meter color?

And where did you buy the LEDs from?

Good Work!

Are you buying LEDs from www.autolumination.com
    www.superbrightleds.com
    1997 C280 Sport

Originally posted by 97C28O
    Whoa!! Looks very nice!! Is there anyway to change the clock/mileage meter color?

And where did you buy the LEDs from?

Good Work!

Are you buying LEDs from www.autolumination.com
    www.superbrightleds.com
    Thanks . i am getting them from autolumination. You mean just change the clock and mileage to a diferent color? im confused.

The Modfather
    Wow very nice, exactly which LEDs have you used & are they the same for a w202?

How about doing all gear selector area aswell?

Originally posted by BBW
    Wow very nice, exactly which LEDs have you used & are they the same for a w202?

How about doing all gear selector area aswell?
    they are the 5-LED 194 signal bulbs (superwhites). I think Im going to try the true blue glass 194's and see how those turn out, i have a feeling those will be best. you can do the gear selector but it is hell, frankly i never want to mess with the gear selector again. I beleive the W202 uses the same technology as W140 for their instrument panels, whether is 4 bulbs or more i dunno but im almost certain they are 194 bulbs.

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    Thanks . i am getting them from autolumination. You mean just change the clock and mileage to a diferent color? im confused.
    yea changing the color of the clock and mileage(not the MPH).

They're $7 each at autolumination.com but its half at superbrightleds.com
    1997 C280 Sport

Originally posted by 97C28O
    yea changing the color of the clock and mileage(not the MPH).

They're $7 each at autolumination.com but its half at superbrightleds.com
    i still think the xenon 194s will be the best option b/c they have the light light dispersion & spread so it will be more even. The LED lighting is still patchy in some areas so i wanna try one more time. it still looks awesome. and they are 90% perfect but im a true perfectionist so i won't rest until i come up with the perfect solution (and you guys will reap the benefits ).

Hey guys,

the blue bulbs just came in today, Im gonna install them and compare the results tonight and hopefully get a set of good pics, i have a feeling these may look a bit better. anyways just wanted to keep yall updated.

can't wait to see them. i might go as far as drilling out the illumination, and fabricating a new backpiece to slip between the bulbs, and the face plate of the cluster; but mad props for you putting the same idea into action first.

i always liked the VW golf blue and ultra white gagues, so i'm heading down that road, and would likely do the gear selector as well.

got my fingers crossed for ya homie!

hey guys, well i installed the new bulbs and honestly i still think the LED's turned out better, these blue lights are slighter darker than stock and alittle more bluish but it is completely even where as LED is alittle brighter (depending on how well u aim them in the cluster). so i would still recommend LED over the blue bulbs. I will have pics soon. hope that helps.

HEy omey,

In your opinion what turned out to have the best result possible? And do you know where i can get a cluster to just practice on. Another question, what if you want to give the cluster a differnt color look, how hard would that be to do and what type of bulbs would you reccomend?

Originally posted by mbLova
    HEy omey,

In your opinion what turned out to have the best result possible? And do you know where i can get a cluster to just practice on. Another question, what if you want to give the cluster a differnt color look, how hard would that be to do and what type of bulbs would you reccomend?
    i would recommend the LED bulbs for the brightness but its not 100% even where as the blue bulbs are darker but more even. you could get xenon looking bulbs those may be the best of both worlds, i never tried those. hope that helps