Thread: One cylinder isnt working

One cylinder isnt working

Ok, I had my sparkplugs for around 15,000 kms so they shouldnt be the problem's source, I cant find the proper tool to take them out (where did I put it???) and check them yet but everything seems dry on top. What else could it be? Shoot.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

In Charge
    Have you tried getting your codes read?
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

How do you know one isnt "working"? What led you to this conclusion?
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

This happened last night and I didnt had the time to try and fix it today because I was working late. I assume is only one cylinder because the car still drives, only accelerates ~worse~ than an automatic w210 E200 (136hp) and makes a trembling noise. It also happened to me in the past and one of the sparkplugs was loose, But even when I tightened it the problem continued and I took it to the stealership. I didnt drive it too much today. What codes? No I didnt had anything read or done yet.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

i'm guessing your car is out of warranty so maybe there's a local mechanic who will try and read your car for any fault codes for cheap...or *free*. This would be the easiest way to determine if there is indeed a misfiring cylinder, which one, and any other pending issues you may not realize.

i'm going through my share of misfinring cylinders, and the last time I had the problem, it was due to a bad coil-pack. fortuately this was a relatively cheap repair. maybe yours is a similar issue.

Well I sure hope so! I will take it to a specialized mercedes repairshop in a day or two and I will let you know. Thanks for your help.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

rollinrealbig
    this same thing happen to my moms C220 back a few years, one of the plugs stopped working completly, the car drove like the wheels about to fall off and shaking!

I today took all my sparkplugs out, they need to be changed in a couple of 000 kms but the problem was that there were an oil leak in one of them and now I believe I need to change the... rubber thing around it... (well, all 4) whatever. Sorry, Im not that good with the technical terms in english. Tomorrow all that.

Yeah Rollin, thats exactly my cars behaviour.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

rollinrealbig
    you have to pull your cam cover and replace that gasket, there are those 4-rings that go around the spark plug ports. I have to do the same just because my gasket leaks but not around the spark plug area. thank god!

Glad you were able to identfy the issue NEA. If you are able, could you document problem and the repair process with digital pics? It may help out other members and it would be a nice resource for the repair section

Originally posted by kameraguy
    Glad you were able to identfy the issue NEA. If you are able, could you document problem and the repair process with digital pics? It may help out other members and it would be a nice resource for the repair section
    Hm... I will take it to a repairshop but I'll see what I can do... If they let me stay in the working area I will. Hey thanx for the support once again.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Problem solved. I changed all 4 sparkplugs and one spark cap, the one of two with thee square black thing, I think its called multiplier in english, not sure though. I payed around $150 for all. Also my cellphone broke and now I have to pay more money to buy a new one. And that after the money I spent on vacation and on painting my car white! I need moneeeyyyyyy!!!:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Originally posted by NEA-4311
    Problem solved. I changed all 4 sparkplugs and one spark cap, the one of two with thee square black thing, I think its called multiplier in english, not sure though. I payed around $150 for all. Also my cellphone broke and now I have to pay more money to buy a new one. And that after the money I spent on vacation and on painting my car white! I need moneeeyyyyyy!!!:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
    i know the feeliing when all the paying comes at once....u save..and save..and save...and then shit hits the fan..and it all goes away
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202