Thread: 99 C280 Noisy AM reception

99 C280 Noisy AM reception

Guys, like the 98-00 w202s, my c280 has no antenna. My AM reception has huge static noise... Is there anything that might have come lose during a ball joint/drag link/steering shock repair?
    99 C280
    ------------------
    95 C36 AMG
    87 300E

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a similar problem. Previous owner of my 96 C280 got the antenna fixed before sale and I can get almost no radio reception. It seems like though the antenna goes up and down, the head unit isn't receiving a signal from the antenna. So I'm kinda in the same boat.

Did you check the antenna connections in the back of the head unit? Should be the largest plug on the left hand side. I'd say trace the line back from head unit to antenna for obvious flaws, but God only knows what that might accomplish. You can get FM reception ok?

Yes, FM reception is fine. Other w202 owners had similar problems with AM radio, but mine was perfect until a few weeks ago after the front end repairs (?) Might be a coincidence and it was time for the AM to blow - hope it's a cable or something along those lines. (??)
    99 C280
    ------------------
    95 C36 AMG
    87 300E

with the window tint I put on, its pretty much non-existent AM signals now. FM is no difference...so no more traffic reports for me!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor