Thread: The Battery

The Battery

Probably one of the most neglected things on my 202 as I just, NEVER see it! lol.

Anyways, I took a peek at the battery today and there is a large clump of what looks like battery acid dried up sitting next to the battery...not on it. Battery also looked sliightly "damp" . Dont know how the batt is eitheir I beleive its original 1999 *maybe*...car starts and everything works good however sometimes, you can notice power draws on the lights and that something is sometimes weak.

Should i opt to replace with new MB battery or what to do?
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Just a heads up but, I got a Bosch battery from Pepboys for $100. I didn't even bother calling the stealership.
    1998 c280 (WHITE)
    Kenwood Excelon KDC- X579 Head
    KAC iP500 Ipod Interface
    2 Kenwood KCF-w3012 1500Watt 12\" Subs
    Sony GTR2002 1200 Watt Amp
    More Mods To Come

Tuner/Vendor
    If the battery still starts the car, just buy some battery contact cleaner and clean and prep the leads.

Also, if it's a maintenance required battery, wouldn't hurt to check the water levels in the battery.
    www.Turbobenz.com
    1987 MB 190E - Project M104 (For Sale)
    2005 Subaru WRX - The Daily
    Shop car -
    1996 MB C280 - 5 speed/3.27 LSD/3.2L M104 swap

If your battery's been in there since 1999 its probably replacement time. Nothing screws up your day more than a dead battery. I've never used anything but MB brand batteries. They've all lasted at least 5/6 years and
    I've never had any trouble with them. If you happen to
    live in an area with more than one stealership call around.
    When I was shopping for a new battery
    I was quoted prices (all from stealerships) from $95 to $150.

I just replaced my battery, of which i believe was the original. My first symptom was a very weak start (red and green flashing in rear view). I replaced with an OEM Volvo battery, with 800 CC amps, instead of 760. Direct fit. Now she fires up no problem.
    96 C36 ///AMG

Im afraid to touch batteries and stuff....its having oil change this week so its gonna be looked all after.

Thank you for the info guys!
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

C55 Charter Member

Re: The Battery

The MB battery has a breather connected to a plastic hose that drains out the bottom of the trunk pan. If that came lose, or you don't have a hose there anymore, that can explain the puddle.

What to do? here's your chance/excuse to lose a few dozen lbs hanging off the back of your car outside the back tires... Buy one of these... PC925
    http://www.odysseyfactory.com/battspecs.html
    (perhaps get the 1200 if you have supplemental power amps)

You'll need to use expandable polystyrene or something else to brace the battery in place. You may need to loosen the (-) at the body to run it straight forward, and stretch (+) and (-) to reach. It reaches w/o being stressed however.

If you go months w/o driving in the winter, get the OMAX-12A-1B, (get the the 25amp one if you get the bigger battery)
    http://www.odysseyfactory.com/chargers.html

Well spoke to my dad and we have a 3 year old battery from our W203 sitting on a trickle charger still downstairs....hes gonna swap it for me and clean up the mess in the trunk this battery left. Its clumps of dried up acid so shes leaking....
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

I put a heavy duty Interstate gel battery in my car...
    The original battery still worked fine up until Feb this year..Thats a long time!

Consumer Reports rates Interstate batteries as the WORST.
    Wouldn't think of having one in my car.

I thought Interstate was good. Thing lasted a good 9 years before I had to replace it. Paid out 130ish for it.

Didn't know that...Well I just might put this one in now.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=19673

Originally posted by timmyj51
    Consumer Reports rates Interstate batteries as the WORST.
    Wouldn't think of having one in my car.