Thread: Suspension Needs...

Suspension Needs...

Please forgive my posting this thread - I have done extensive searches here but I think the suspension is really an individual unique preference, and I would love some expert feedback.

I recently purchased 17" Monoblocks for my 1996 C280. I would now like to improve and mod the suspension.

I do a lot of highway driving, so I would like to protect the smoothness of the ride, but I would like to lower the car at least a little to add a sportier look. I have 92K miles, so I imagine I should change the shocks anyway.

Sorry for the long winded questions! Please recommend shocks and springs. Again, I would like to avoid a "harsh" ride, but I would like to see some options. From what I've seen on here the Koni adjustable shocks seem like a great option for me regardless of the spring selection.

Thanks for your responses in advance!

sorry to just cut to the chase but...

Bilstein, koni

H&R Eibach

pick one from each row...and you're done. Without a more directed purpose, there's not too much more to it than that.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Eibachs usually ride a little smother, softer than H&R's. H&R's will improve the handling a little more than the Eibachs but give you a stiffer ride. If the roads in your area are in good condition and generally smooth go with H&R; if the roads are chewed up and choppy, go with Eibach.

If you don't know how to adjust your shocks properly get matched Bilstein Sports or non-adjustable Koni's. The forum seems to like each brand just as much. The more serious racers use the adjustables, the back road and highway guys like me do just fine with fixed shocks. The best system for the 202, however, is SpeedyBenz's fully adjustable set-up for $5K.

The only real reason you will need new shocks is because the OE shocks will not work well with lowered springs whether they are worn out or not. The Bilstein sports and Koni's are designed for the 1.3 to 1.5 inch drop resulting from the new springs, the OE shocks are not.
    Marc
    [SIZE=\"1\"]Silver/Black 2005 C55 AMG: fully loaded, evosport UDP\'s, AMS billet crank pulley, phenolic spacers, renntech cf airbox, green filters, elite engineering Z06 anondized catch can, sprintbooster, 030 SLK AMG rear calipers & rotors, SS braided brake lines, 18\" SLK AMG Turbines (summer), 18\" OZ Superleggera\'s (winter), sealth front/rear K40 radar detectors and laser jammers, MB iPod integration kit (mmclaw@optonline.net).[/SIZE]

Thank you for the input!
    I am going to go with the Bilsteins and the Eibach springs. I live in the Greater Boston area and our roads sometimes good but are often bad. Highways are generally fine.

Thanks again...

what about Vogtland springs? ive been reading past threads and it seems people who have these springs like them a lot as well. How do they compare to Eibach and H&R?

Originally posted by Tump43
    Eibachs usually ride a little smother, softer than H&R's. H&R's will improve the handling a little more than the Eibachs but give you a stiffer ride. If the roads in your area are in good condition and generally smooth go with H&R; if the roads are chewed up and choppy, go with Eibach.
    On my '02 C-Coupe, I found the exact opposite to be true. H&R's were softer, less jarring on the road then the Eibach's were. Strange.

well since i just changed my springs this past weekend maybe i can shed some light..

vehicle: 99 c280 sport
    spring choice: eibach pro-kit
    shock: currently stock

i must say.. i could hardly tell that i lowered the vehicle.. there is no ride quality loss whatsoever.. i commute about 60 miles a day back and to from work.. and i've notice very little difference.. if any.. its still very smooth.. and the handling has improve much..

shocks i'll be going with would be blistein.. but then again.. as in car audio.. it's all personal perferences...

sleek_benzo, what size rims do you have on your car?

Originally posted by sleek_benzo

i must say.. i could hardly tell that i lowered the vehicle.. there is no ride quality loss whatsoever..
    One of the things I like best about the Eibach Pro-kit is, the front springs are linear ( the weight of your engine never changes ), while the rears are progressive springs, since your load in the rear changes with passengers, luggage, etc.
    The best of both worlds in my opinion.
    Yes, I have a few mods, but they\'re so discrete, my wife hasn\'t noticed them.

2000 C 230 K

I have H&R coilovers in now, I have KW V2's arriving on Thurs. I think KW uses an Eibach spring and I know it is a Koni strut. I'll report back differences too...

i have "replica" (don't hate.. it was free ) monoblock VI.. 225/40/18 front 245/40/18 rear