Thread: 90K Maintenance Expectations

90K Maintenance Expectations

I just got a used 94 C280 with 90K miles. I usually do all my diy stuff myself but thinking that initially get a MB dealer to inspect and replace needed stuff based on the mileage. I'm assuming the 30K service is what I would need. How much can I expect to pay for a 30k service for this car? Right now, the car sputters and lacks power which I assume would be a fuel filter or fuel pump. Will this problem be addressed on the 30k service?

do a search on this site...search on service a and b i think the 90k is a "a" service... the one will less crap to do... read around the forums, im not too sure about the service plans but the stealership recamends service every 10k miles, and alternates between a and b services, depending on the mileage... also check the mbusa.com web page register there and the site will tell you when your car should go in... also your fps or whatever it is called in the gauge cluster when you push teh "0" on your dash will tell you how many miles are left before a service
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

Uhhh..........

"A" and "B" services only came to exist after the 1998 MY. For a 94, and for my 97, the 90k is not one of the bigger services, however the 60 (and 120, etc) is. Do everything you can to check that the 60k was done if it was not, there is a lot to check/do. Check your owners manual and check out www.mercedesshop.com. They have a tech forum over there where you can find the answers.

PS - at 90k, there may be a rear differential service recommended, if not required.

Thanks for the post. I will look into the 60k service and see what needs to be done. My car is at the dealership now, however I have not heard any word from them yet to see whats wrong with it. I may have some fuel problems since it has a very rough idle and feels like it run on 3 cylinders. But sometimes, it runs ok. No check engine light came on or any sensors triggered. I hoping the service will do the trick.

you could also look into a private mechanic... sometimes you will get better SERVICE and CHEAPER prices... depending on the area you live in ask around too
    06 C55 AMG
    09 Murano SL

Originally posted by alboogiee
    you could also look into a private mechanic... sometimes you will get better SERVICE and CHEAPER prices... depending on the area you live in ask around too

Crap, now you tell me.... I just got a call from my the dealer and told me the damage which came out to $5,800.

All coils and plugs needs to be replaced.
    Fuel line leak
    Repacking Differential
    Driveline? Something to do with the suspension
    Ball joints
    Head Gasket

Taking alboo's advice, I went through the forum to check the sputtering problem which all pointed to the coils. Then the dealer called and told me the exact same thing. Well, i just had them do the most critical which was the coils, plugs, fuel line and driveline. $1600. And will shop around for a private mechanic for the rest. Since their service is well known in the area as one of the best, I figured I get their opinion and go from there.

. Since their service is well known in the area as one of the best, I figured I get their opinion and go from there. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just curious , which dealer is this ?

Just curious , which dealer is this ? [/QUOTE]

American Service Center in Arlington, VA

Well, the verdict is. I had to pay $1800 for parts and labor for these items:

Replace spark plugs
    Replace ignition coil
    Replace ignition wires
    Replace drag link (Tie rod)
    Replace fuel line.

Did I just get screwed or was it in line?

Sounds fair. You should plan on about $1500 a year for repairs, outside of normal maint.

OG Moderator
    did they replace the fuel filter?(since they replace the fuel line).

Originally posted by pnsji
    did they replace the fuel filter?(since they replace the fuel line).
    I actually mentioned it but they I did not need one. I actually had a whole list of things to fix. Im thinking of tackling some of it.

Repacking Differentials
    Ball joints
    Lower control arm bushings
    Flex disc
    the dreaded Head Gasket but not bad yet.

Originally posted by Will_w202
    Sounds fair. You should plan on about $1500 a year for repairs, outside of normal maint.
    Yeah, still beats a car payment though. I have DIYed Porsche 930's and although I save on labor, parts is still up there. The difference is, the Porsche was a weekend car while my C280 is my daily driver meaning that if the Porsche needs to be on jacks for weeks as needed, it was ok.