PDA

View Full Version : Gauge LED's going out in cluster.. ghost in teh machine!

alphanumeric
07-28-2006, 02:19 PM
yeah.. the LED lights for the Digital clock, Trip & Odometor and outside temp are going out... it looks like the time bomb countdown from the movie Predator!

does this mean I need a new cluster? plz tell me no! I dont feel like buying and installing a new one for something so stupid!

MBHustla858
07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by alphanumeric
yeah.. the LED lights for the Digital clock, Trip & Odometor and outside temp are going out... it looks like the time bomb countdown from the movie Predator!

does this mean I need a new cluster? plz tell me no! I dont feel like buying and installing a new one for something so stupid!

what makes you think the bulbs aren't the culprit?

1995c280
07-28-2006, 04:36 PM
cuz if it was the bulb it would constantly be dark with no illumination. he's talkin about them "pixeled". well that's the term we use at the dealer when u can see only part of the numbers. sorry, but time for a new one. if you have starmark warrenty, then take it in cuz it's definately covered!

Jason

stox
07-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Just to fill people in on the correct technical terms:

1) These are LCD, not LED displays.

2) They are not pixelated, but segments of the display are failing to change state. These are 7 segment displays.

lewda
07-29-2006, 07:19 AM
yeah m ines doing the same thing, it comes and goes, sometimes its there, sometimes it not, how do you know if you have starmark? is this something where i dont know if i have, then i probally dont, i have a 99 C230 K, how much is a cluster to fix this silly problem?

rman
07-29-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by lewda
yeah m ines doing the same thing, it comes and goes, sometimes its there, sometimes it not, how do you know if you have starmark? is this something where i dont know if i have, then i probally dont, i have a 99 C230 K, how much is a cluster to fix this silly problem?

only a sissy would not know the answer to this :rolleyes:
lol i think the dealership would want 1000+, i have found used clusters on ebay hovering the 350 range, and there is a seller on ebay who will repair it for about 250.

i would personally go for the repair, b/c with a used one it could work great, or it could go bad the next day.

only thing i dislike about mailing it in to get it repaired is - what do you do with your car in the meantime? can't drive it, and if you can, you don't know how fast you are going, how much gas you have, if you are overheating, and you are putting miles on that aren't being recorded!

lewda
07-29-2006, 11:22 AM
yeah i was thinking it was going to be around that price, i think i could figure out how to fix it myself though, but its not too terribly bad right now, just becomes a pain in my arse when im trying to record my gas milage when i refuel....

rman
07-29-2006, 12:31 PM
mine was only missing a few segments when i got it a few months ago. i read somewhere that someone banged on the dash and the numbers re-appeared, so i tried it.

they did.

but now it's much worse.

I've read on other boards that it's virtually impossible to repair it, either by fixing it or replacing the part that is out.

I dunno how they do it, but i've heard the ebay people that repair it do a good job.

Search on benzworld.org for more info

lewda
07-30-2006, 07:29 AM
huh? interesting, damn shitty LCD read out's...

autoxpresstech
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
only a sissy would not know the answer to this :rolleyes:
lol i think the dealership would want 1000+, i have found used clusters on ebay hovering the 350 range, and there is a seller on ebay who will repair it for about 250.

i would personally go for the repair, b/c with a used one it could work great, or it could go bad the next day.

only thing i dislike about mailing it in to get it repaired is - what do you do with your car in the meantime? can't drive it, and if you can, you don't know how fast you are going, how much gas you have, if you are overheating, and you are putting miles on that aren't being recorded!

We can repair this fault for about $100 plus shipping for all displays, contact me. i get it today it ships out tomorrow at latest.

autoxpresstech
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
mine was only missing a few segments when i got it a few months ago. i read somewhere that someone banged on the dash and the numbers re-appeared, so i tried it.

they did.

but now it's much worse.

I've read on other boards that it's virtually impossible to repair it, either by fixing it or replacing the part that is out.

I dunno how they do it, but i've heard the ebay people that repair it do a good job.

Search on benzworld.org for more info

contact me for a repair , cheapest price anywhere. We can also repair most Mercedes cluster faults

8=Anonymous=8
05-02-2012, 02:06 AM
contact me for a repair , cheapest price anywhere. We can also repair most Mercedes cluster faults
You do realize that this is a 6 year old thread??

autoxpresstech
05-02-2012, 05:29 AM
You do realize that this is a 6 year old thread??

: ) yes. just throwing out some new info. I do a lot of mercedes clusters , most of them are 10 years old.

chimchongdlight
05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Yea i hate it when someone says "you know this thread is so and so old right?" just bc its old doesnt mean the topic doesnt reappear. And when someone posts up a new thread on an old topic somone says "use the search button" lol no one wins.

8=Anonymous=8
05-02-2012, 05:02 PM
lol
it's just because he's stating he can repair the cluster even though the orig poster posted this like 6 years ago

hipnimahop
05-04-2012, 11:10 AM
LOOOL