PDA

View Full Version : electric fan removal

Ralph280
07-31-2006, 02:37 AM
Done a search and can find loads of info on the two front electric fans on a c280, but nothing on how to get them out. As mine are not working. Could someone please provide an explination on how to remove them

Many thanks

Ralph

jnenad16
07-31-2006, 09:43 PM
are you talking about auxiliary or radiator fan(s)? also, whats the year of your C280?

nenad

Ralph280
08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
My c280 is a 95. I am refuring to the two electric fans at the front of the car behind the bumper. not the belt driven one in front of the engine, if that make sense.

I take the front slam panel off and remove the two bolts holding the fan to the top of the smaller radiator but i cant seem to find out how to remove the bottom clip? or do you have to remove the whole radiator.

Thanks

Ralph

1995c280
08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
if i remember correctly the radiator needs to come out because there are bolts on all four corners of the aux fans. take the cross bar off the front. should be 4 (10mm) bolts then the bar that comes straight down between the aux fans take off. then just lay the cross bar sideways over the engine so you don't have to dismantle the hood latch from the bar. make sure to disconnect the wires and connector going to the latch. i am trying to remember as much as i can. the last time i took one out was to replace the a/c condensor and the radiator had to come out and you have to disconnect the two big nuts going to the lines on the condensor meaning evacuating the system first. also draining the coolant and taking off the radiator hoses. i remember pulling the radiator/condensor/aux fans out all together and then it was simple to change the fans. hope this helps

nenad, any easier way 4 this job, as this may be time consuming for him...

Jason

jnenad16
08-02-2006, 01:16 AM
its been a while since I did one of these, but as far as I remember, the radiator support comes off(5 10mm bolts, four from the top and one from the front above the horns), I cant recall if the radiator has to go out or not, then you lean the condenser/fan assembly towards the engine, and then you should have the access to all the clips/screws that serure the fans to the condenser.
like jason, I usually just pull out the condenser and fans all together.

nenad

Ralph280
08-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks all. If i pull the condenser out with the main rad does it mean i have too have the AC recharged? I only had it topped up last week (cost£75) so dont really want too have to do it again.

Thanks
Ralph

jnenad16
08-03-2006, 01:26 AM
if you pull it out with the condenser, you will have to disconnect the condenser and will need to recharge the ac. but if you just need to remove the fans, this process is unnecessary.

nenad