PDA

View Full Version : look at these pics and tell me everything is going to be ok ..pics

detroit202
07-31-2006, 05:58 PM
driving home from work on the expressway i hit a bump hear a clunk and start hearing squeaking i pull into the shop that i was close to and they tell me how luckly i am i was slowing down when this happened (i was comming up to construction when it happened)

obviously i cant drive it ... they say at the shop they dont know if the dealer has the part.. what do you call the part thats broken off the frame there where the spring sits so i know what to tell insurance tomorrow..the shop says insurance should cover it.. i hope so.. what do you think?

what are your thoughts ? cost? the shop cant fix it they say i gotta go to a body / frame / collison place..

first the unbroken side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/babyjohnny/driverside.jpg

now the broken side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/babyjohnny/broken2.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/babyjohnny/broken3.jpg

irieite
07-31-2006, 06:35 PM
The w210 has very common spring perch failures. Mercedes has been repairing these under a "good will" warranty. However, this is the first spring perch failure I've seen on a w202. Check with the dealer.

1995c280
07-31-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by irieite
The w210 has very common spring perch failures. Mercedes has been repairing these under a "good will" warranty. However, this is the first spring perch failure I've seen on a w202. Check with the dealer.

that is true. there used to be a big problem with the 210's and the spring perch. better hope insurance cover's it cuz it's gonna be some $$$$$$$$ to repair that. tell them that the welds broke on the spring perch for the front spring!

Jason

Pagz
07-31-2006, 07:11 PM
NASTY!

goodluck with the fix man...

detroit202
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
thanks everyone... ive got the shop calling the dealer tomorrow i will call insurance and 800 for mercedes and see where this takes me...

rollinrealbig
07-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Oh man, anything but body work!

So sorry to hear this! :(

NEA-4311
08-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Oh and by the way, throw in a set of new tyres as soon as you fix it..! :D

Abuimad
08-01-2006, 04:26 AM
damn, keep us posted on the costs and good luck

detroit202
08-01-2006, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by NEA-4311
Oh and by the way, throw in a set of new tyres as soon as you fix it..! :D

tires were the next thing on the list ;) now i might wait another month

UPDATE

it looks alot worse then it is as far as repairing it goes... the part itself is only like $15 from the dealer and i called a couple body shops in the area of the garage and they said about 200 a side ...my repair shop is going to take care of everything ...let the body guys come see it on the lift ...so looks like under 500 which is a pain in the ass but it could have been alot worse ...

if you hear squeeking and creaking by your front end check for corrosion on the spring perch !

coolin
08-01-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm not sure, but won't it be tough to make sure everything is straight?

detroit202
08-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by coolin
I'm not sure, but won't it be tough to make sure everything is straight?

we'll see i dont think it would..im thinking about unloading this maybe after ...lets see how it comes out first...

dshenberger
08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
You are getting off pretty good on that. My dad's E420 had that happen; dealer redid both sides for about $1200.

Good luck!

Pagz
08-01-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by detroit202
if you hear squeeking and creaking by your front end check for corrosion on the spring perch !

I was about to ask if that was corrosion i saw there!!
so was that what contributed to the failure?

detroit202
08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 23K
I was about to ask if that was corrosion i saw there!!
so was that what contributed to the failure?

yeah looks like it.. but only on the weld joints...strange... the rest of the car is in good shape..

SDR
08-01-2006, 08:39 PM
The irony of that is that the welds should be the stronger part of the perch. I think MBZ used some faulty material on the 210's and perhaps your car for them to fail this way.
As for getting it straight, this is only where the spring sits so it doesn't have a lot to do with the steering geometry if it's placed in the same location. For it to impact the spring performance it would have to be attached way off angle or off center. We used to mess with the spring mount points on our old Toyotas and you could go very far before causing issues.

detroit202
08-02-2006, 05:15 AM
no news as of this morning... when your car is in the shop no news is good news.. that means you are still within the estimate :D

detroit202
08-08-2006, 08:27 AM
One week later..

just got the call from the shop $265

they only did the one side they inspected the drivers side spring and said that one was %100 ok

so im finally going to pick it up tonight... it could have been worse..

MBHustla858
08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
damn looks like ur fvcked

Harold the Barrel
10-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I have just had this happen to my C-Class,I heard a rumbling noise from the front.When I had a look I found the spring perch had badly corroded.
I have taken the car off the road and hired a car to get be around.
I left for work on Thursday morning and checked the car before I left but to my horror when I got home later that day,I found the front of the car had collapsed on the right front.
I jacked the car up and found the perch had sheared off at the weld and dumped the spring on the floor.
I dread to think what would of happened if I was driving,It was only a few days earlier I was on the motorway (freeway) travelling at around 70mph.
So any one with a W202 C-Class or W210 E-Class please check the front spring perches as I may prevent an accident or worse.

Will
(England)

wichipong
10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
i hope you know that this thread's last post was over 6 years ago?!

Harold the Barrel
10-30-2012, 01:42 PM
i hope you know that this thread's last post was over 6 years ago?!

I know,I was just searching various forums to see how common this fault may be.

Will